Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing upc modem

• 13-10-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 15m upc connection which I got when they only did wired modems and have connected to it a sweex wireless router which works quite well. I have another use for the sweex and to save on power and lose some wires I was hoping to get an all in one modem/router to replace both. Is this possible? If so, any suggestions on make model to go for, specifically should I move from wireless G to N? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

You can't use your own cable modem on UPC as the modem has to be provisioned by UPC meaning they have to supply it. Call up UPC and ask if you can get the newer all-in-one modem/router they now supply. It's your only option really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It is possible to get UPC to provision a cable modem that you supply yourself, but I've no idea where you'd get one. You can't be guaranteed they'd do it either.

The combined modem/wifi router they supply is crap, don't get one. Just get a decent router and attach it. Don't bother with N unless all of your equipment is N. Any G equipment connected will drag the whole thing down.

Advertisement