Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the "accolade" goes to Cork..

Options
  • 13-10-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

… worst in the country – by a long way - for use of hand-held phones whist driving.

“Over 1 in 10 drivers (12%) in Cork were observed using a hand-held mobile phone while driving, representing the highest level of mobile phone use among all drivers, and twice the national average. “

See full RSA report

And these figures don’t include texting while driving or use of hands-free phones. It only confirms my own impression using the roads.

Two recent comments I heard:
    “I wedge my phone between my shoulder and my ear. Then it’s hands-free.”
    “I’d like an iPhone but it’s really awkward to use it to text whilst driving”

To all those dangerous\inconsiderate\selfish\cheap-skate drivers I say “pull over or get a hands-free kit”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

My regular observations as follows; all in Cork.

1. Truck drivers and van drivers using mobiles.
    2. HGV drivers using mobiles while negotiating tight turns or roundabouts.
    3. BMW/Merc drivers et al using mobiles. For gods sake you could at least afford a hands free with a car like that or some of those cars have blue-tooth installed as standard.

This is no joke: I once saw a woman texting while driving through a red light on the north ring road. I rang Anglesea st and they said unless I come in and make a written statement they can't do anything. ???

Anybody using a mobile while driving has no excuse whatsoever. But it does appear to be a bit of an epidemic in Cork and the figures bear that out. Are you embarrassed enough yet Cork or will it take an accident to get you to STOP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Could a contributory factor in these results be a difference in enforcement levels between Cork & everywhere else?
    How can you properly measure detection versus effort?
    Just an observation & I don't condone or would never defend anyone using a handheld mobile phone while driving. In fact I don't think some people are capabale of driving while using a phone handsfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

sham2 wrote: »
    I rang Anglesea st and they said unless I come in and make a written statement they can't do anything. ???

That's encouraging. I might consider reporting some of the most serious offenders. I've resolved to do something about the matter e.g. expressing my disapproval to drivers - without getting abusive or aggressive. Maybe I'll write a few letters.

I do agree the level of enforcement in Cork may be lower. In the past year and a half I've encountered three Garda checkpoints looking for valid motor tax but I've never seen or heard of a checkpoint for illegal phone use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

can't say I'm surprised. I see it on the roads every day. Drivers on the phone trying to come out at busy junctions, schools (with children in the back), busy car parks etc.
    I'm tempted to take a picture of them when I see it, would the cops entertain that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

That's encouraging. I might consider reporting some of the most serious offenders. I've resolved to do something about the matter e.g. expressing my disapproval to drivers - without getting abusive or aggressive. Maybe I'll write a few letters.

I do agree the level of enforcement in Cork may be lower. In the past year and a half I've encountered three Garda checkpoints looking for valid motor tax but I've never seen or heard of a checkpoint for illegal phone use.

Writing letters will not do anything by the way - you will need to be writing a statement in the garda station in the presence of a garda for anything to happen. You will most likely then be required to appear in court as a witness, if you are happy with this then fair play. I personally would not be up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't forget all the people who put their phone on speaker and hold it away from their head while driving. Cause that's just as good as a handsfree. Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Nearly every day I drive past Anglesea Street Gardai Station - and people are in their cars on their mobiles - considering there are always a few gardai milling around outside the station, patrol cars around - it doesn't seem to scare people at all. I get scared when I see big lorries on the roundabouts and the drivers on their mobiles, so they're taking the roundabout with one hand.

The other thing I hate hate hate is the non use of indicators - it takes a second to hit the indicator just to advise the driver behind you that you're turning - you especially see this with the lane hoppers - in/out of traffic, no indicator to show when they are heading to the right or the left.

And the roundabout hoggers who can't seem to stay in their lane and as you're both turning - (or even taking corners), they come right across your lane as they've taken it too widely, you then are forced to move a bit to the other side hoping you're clear to do so, then they veer back out again - eeeek, that freaks me out on a daily basis.

Oh lets not forget the cyclists - i.e. we should respect that they are on the road too and be aware of them - but it makes my blood boil when I see them cycling through red lights, cycling up one way streets, cycling with little or no lights on their bikes early evening/night.

OK - I'll stop grinding my teeth now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'm tempted to take a picture of them when I see it, would the cops entertain that idea?
    Photos - good idea. Maybe a "show and shame" website? Anyway my camera is never to hand or I couldn't stop to interrupt my own journey.

Re: Letters: What I was thinking of is a letter to the Garda authorities to "demand" action. (Must find my green biro)

Re: Anglesey St. A friend of mine was fined by a Garda at Elysian\Link Road junction for driving straight on in a right turn lane. The Garda had already caught 14 other drivers. So they are on the beat.

Re: Hand-held phone on speaker: Yeah, more of that happening. As I was pedestrian crossing this morning I remonstrated with a 4x4 driver. She looked very sheepish at first, then continued using the phone and gave me the two fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Are you as fascinated by the mentality at work here as I am? When we get inside a car it's like our inner demon comes out. Who is that person? Our tolerances drop as our inter-personal communication gets trapped inside the car. We remonstrate incoherently at slight infringes. We are powerless to affect the other driver's behaviour as we pass fleetingly by them cocooned inside our and their worlds and it drives us bananas with frustration. Whether it's using mobiles, not indicating, children not strapped in etc. It's the same mentality each time; 'I'm in MY car so mind your own fkn business.'

Ultimately Darwin will take care of their genes. Still it's fascinating to watch normally mild mannered people go apoplectic in their cars.
    Bemused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Drivers seem to be getting more batty by the day..

Although ok I will admit to a bit of road rage the odd time but like that it is normally due to people being stupid, not using their indicators, people driving along speeding up slamming on the brakes etc..They deserve to be given out to I did have a bit of a moment last week at the traffic lights, I had gone through them and this muppet rather than let me get out of the middle of the road drove out in front of me for no reason, so I drove on a bit and this young chap in a L plate car (now this chap could not have gone anywhere unless he wanted to drive around me) he starts moving towards me giving out to me I was like mm WTF do you want me to do, bloody muppet he got perhaps 1 or 2 fingers...

Back to the subject though, the mobile phone thing is so so stupid. You shouldnt be using one while driving and like that if you have too use the handheld. the world is not going to fall down if you dont ans a call...What stops the guards actually from not obeying this rule I have seen a few talking on the phone while driving so I have so they should set a good example....

Thats another that annoys me why do people when obeying the speed limit automatically go into crawl mode when they see a garda car or when there is on behind them or in front of them..If you are doing the correct limit and all is ligit they cant do anything...

Tis annoying alrite when the cyclist break the red lights and dont use hand signals as it is so much easier, but people should pay more attention to them except for the ones that go through red lights and dont use hand signals they are just waiting ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I cycle to work/college most days, and not a day has gone past when I haven't almost been killed cycling past Our Lady Of Lourdes school. Fúcking idiots pulling in without warning or indicator, without even looking, to let their precious daughters off as close to the school as possible. I've been forced to brake extremely quickly, to take evasive action, all sorts of things. But the one that took the biscuit was the stupid bitch that almost squashed me the other day. As I cycled past, I glared in at her only to find her nattering way on her mobile, completely oblivious to all the chaos she was causing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tut tut did she even apoligies to you.

I saw this lady she was turning left but was messing around debating wether to turn or not and this cyclist who she had to have seen, even i was waving at her to stop but nope she was too busy messing and talking to her friend that she turned just as he was half way passing and he had to stick his leg out to stop her knocking him down. And she was just like what did I do wrong.

Noticed alot more recently too that drivers are very rude toward people trying to cross the road, or letting people out. It only takes a few minutes but nope they will not. I always stop for especially kids or families to cross the road as it has to be much safer at least you have stopped the traffic for them...People in cars need politness lessons

Advertisement