Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson or Mourinho?

• 13-10-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Simples, who do you think is the better manager?

Who is better manager? 148 votes

Alex Ferguson
    0%
    Jose Mourinho
    100%
    RasTaCyrusgimmickT-b0n320 Times 20 TimesGreeBoDr. DodgerKingp35Unearthlyevad_lhorgquad_redenda1Brando_ieapplehuntercaffreyMr.Nice GuyOtaconpwdTheDocbreadmonkey 148 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Jose Mourinho
    As a Liverpool fan I don't particularly like the man but Fergie is the clear winner here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Jose Mourinho
    time will tell with Mourinho, he may end up being better in the long run

but ferguson has (unfortunatly) been the driving force behind UTDs amazing run since the 90s, so for now, he wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

oh my, this'll be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

At this moment in time I would say that Jose is the better manager, but if it is based on who has been the better manager over the course of their careers to date, then it has to be Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Tayto .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mike Tyson's jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Kess73 wrote: »
    At this moment in time I would say that Jose is the better manager, but if it is based on who has been the better manager over the course of their careers to date, then it has to be Ferguson.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jose Mourinho
    Ferginho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

John Gregory was better than both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

an impossible question.

as Kess said, right now, it would probably be Mourinho by a gee hair.

but, over the course of their careers so far, Ferguson has to win out.

also, the question intertwined in this, is do you prefer a manager who comes in for 2/3 years, makes you successful and leaves, or a manager who stays to build; i mean Fergie took years to build the club to the point where it was in a position to sustain, what has now become, a dynasty really.

they really are very difficult to compare.

• Advertisement

John Gregory was better than both.

Tut Tut ..you liar !

It was Dave O Leary .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, the question intertwined in this, is do you prefer a manager who comes in for 2/3 years, makes you successful and leaves, or a manager who stays to build; i mean Fergie took years to build the club to the point where it was in a position to sustain, what has now become, a dynasty really.

This.

Is the poll who is the better manager right now?
    Or who has been the better manager over the couse of their career?

If it's the first one Mourinho shades it for me, he has an ability to come into a club and within a very short period of time have them winning trophies. However in the long term he hasn't proven he can do it.

However Fergie would be my vote if it's the latter for his sheer sustainability. I don't think we'll see a manager of his ilk again who will lead a club to such an incredible period of sustained dominance and trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jose Mourinho
    Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jose Mourinho
    perhaps best off being done when both of them are finished to give a true reflection. 2 top class managers, one the greatest of all time and the other who could become the greatest of all time.

right now, fergie holds that claim as he has outlasted many many mangers and is the seconds longest in british history. Jose has yet to put a legacy in place, though it can be said, has been excellent everywhere he has been.

love them both to be honest and i cant wait for jose to be uniteds next manager. my only fear is that, like every other thread, this will turn into a brawl of some sort.

fergie for me, but in 20 years time, could be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jose is a jobbing manager who has done brilliantly well with other peoples money, Fergie is an empire builder. Only question is the Empire going to survive his exit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mourinho has the ability to unite any team across Europe and club into success. The video of him and Materazzi was telling.

Ferguson on the other hand works on fear, which I don't know would work if he stepped into the San Siro or Bernabeu tomorrow. Over time yes, but not for a while. I don't see him crying in public with John O'Shea..

I'd put Mourinho and that style first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jose Mourinho
    dfx- wrote: »
    Mourinho has the ability to unite any team across Europe and club into success. The video of him and Materazzi was telling.

Ferguson on the other hand works on fear, which I don't know would work if he stepped into the San Siro or Bernabeu tomorrow. Over time yes, but not for a while. I don't see him crying in public with John O'Shea..

I'd put Mourinho and that style first.

:confused::confused: fergies legacy is based on his relationship with the players.your telling me fergie doesnt have a special bond with his players? just look at the only two world class players who have left recently and went on to better their careers or at least maintain them - pique and ronaldo. both said he was a 2nd father to them and they were only there 2 and 6 years, ronaldo was saying about the 2nd father, after a year or 2 there.

beckham, van nistelrooy and stam lost that trust and respect, but im sure Jose has had a few rows with his players also. having a good relationship at the beginning is easy to do, its how you keep the longevity after 5 or 6 years (keane and fergie took about 13 years to break down) and jose has yet to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Jose Mourinho
    mike65 wrote: »
    Jose is a jobbing manager who has done brilliantly well with other peoples money, Fergie is an empire builder. Only question is the Empire going to survive his exit?

What has this got to do with the thread? You suggesting this would go against Fergie when he leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Jose Mourinho
    Alex Ferguson the clear winner here for me. Been at a top club for over 20 years now and won everything that he could have. He also had to mould 4 or 5 different teams during that time. Mourinho longest stint I think is 3 or 4 years at clubs which have had plenty of money to spend and good starting foundations going into the job. I know Porto didnt have with their champions League win but im sure he had the biggest budget in the portuguese league anyway to compete for titles.

So overall Ferguson definitely takes it. May change in the future but not for now.

Dot Cotton

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

beckham, van nistelrooy and stam lost that trust and respect, but im sure Jose has had a few rows with his players also. having a good relationship at the beginning is easy to do, its how you keep the longevity after 5 or 6 years (keane and fergie took about 13 years to break down) and jose has yet to do that.

Indeed, Balotelli being the obvious case. He still played Balotelli, whereas Beckham and certainly Van Nistelrooy were frozen out and Stam was pushed out the door quick, with no recompense for the team than the personal relationship.

Every manager gets on with players..my point is that players who lose the relationship with Ferguson may as well have broken their contract. It is fundamental to playing in Ferguson's team. Mourinho persists with players he doesn't like for the team unity and success. Both are valid, I'd choose Mourinho's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jose Mourinho
    Fergie for me right at this moment.

But if there is one man that has the capability of eclipsing Fergie, then it is Mourinho. And if he's gonna do that, I hope it's at United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jose and it's not even that close tbh.

I say mourinho.
    Fergie for long time was able to throw money around the premiership.Common sense suggests the club with the most money has the best team.

His lack of success in europe compounds my view.

I say mourinho.
    Fergie for long time was able to throw money around the premiership.Common sense suggests the club with the most money has the best team.

Very True when you look into it .

Put it this way ..Hypothetical question :

If Alex Ferguson was to leave MAN UTD , do you think he could manage another club(s) in a 8yr term and have the same success as Jose has had at his past 3 clubs in the same time frame ?

Me thinks not .

Jose seems to very diverse and can go anywhere and have quick success , that diversity would be lacking in Mr Ferguson .
    I am factoring Ferguson's age and desire into my point .
    His success at MAN UTD in undeniably but he has been given/been there so long to get it right .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jose Mourinho
    gosplan wrote: »

lol

I think Mourinho could be the better manager in 20 years but he needs a club where he can build and replace a team to compare the two, considering Fergie will retire at United.

I love them both. Both great characters. I think one day Mourinho can be the best. He's already shown he can do it in 3 different leagues. Both fantastic Managers but Fergie wins this atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭28064212

mixednuts wrote: »
    Put it this way ..Hypothetical question :

If Alex Ferguson was to leave MAN UTD , do you think he could manage another club(s) in a 8yr term and have the same success as Jose has had at his past 3 clubs in the same time frame ?

Me thinks not .
    And if you were to put Mourinho into, say, Fulham, could he build that club up to become the dominant force in English football, winning absolutely everything put in front of him, brushing aside challenge after challenge, then doing it again after the first generation has moved on/retired? And then do it again, and again?

Also, you're completely discounting what Ferguson did at Aberdeen, which was also a huge managerial achievement

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

28064212 wrote: »
    And if you were to put Mourinho into, say, Fulham, could he build that club up to become the dominant force in English football, winning absolutely everything put in front of him, brushing aside challenge after challenge, then doing it again after the first generation has moved on/retired? And then do it again, and again?

Also, you're completely discounting what Ferguson did at Aberdeen, which was also a huge managerial achievement

Fulham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jose Mourinho
    JPA wrote: »
    Fulham?

United were definitely the Fulham of top-flight football pre Ferguson...

Both great managers, but one has far more time on his hands than the other. Mourinho is a trophy hound, as is Ferguson to a certain extent, but he's also so much more. I sincerely doubt that Mourinho will ever do for one club what Ferguson has done for United, but his record is ridiculously impressive.

Their trophy records (I'm going to include all minor trophies here too) are very impressive. If Mourinho can keep going, he'll surely surpass Ferguson some day, but he has a frightening amount of work ahead of him, just as well he has 21+ years to do so.

Manager|Trophies|TPS
    Ferguson|46|1.31
    Mourinho|17|1.89

To summarise, if I had to pick either at the beginning of their careers to manage Arsenal (forgetting about Wenger for the moment), it would be Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jose Mourinho
    Ferguson can do a lot with relatively little.
    Ferguson was manager of St. Mirren from 1974 until 1978, producing a remarkable transformation of a team in the lower half of the old Second Division watched by crowds of just over 1,000, to First Division champions in 1977, discovering talent like Billy Stark, Tony Fitzpatrick, Lex Richardson, Frank McGarvey, Bobby Reid and Peter Weir while playing superb attacking football. The average age of the league winning team was 19 and the captain, Fitzpatrick, was 20.

Fulham?
    Maybe Everton would be a closer comparison. United were in Division 2 ten years before Ferguson's arrival. 92-93 was the first league success in 26 years. They certainly weren't one of the dominant teams a la the "big four" or Barca/Real

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jose Mourinho
    L'prof wrote: »
    United were definitely the Fulham of top-flight football pre Ferguson....

Thats a load of bollox! Sure Fergie was almost sacked around 1992, only they won the F.A. Cup. Woy was considered a great manager "just" for getting Fulham into the Europa League final.
    United of then are more like the Liverpool of now (no offence intended).

Jose Mourinho
    THFC wrote: »
    Thats a load of bollox! Sure Fergie was almost sacked around 1992, only they won the F.A. Cup. Woy was considered a great manager "just" for getting Fulham into the Europa League final.
    United of then are more like the Liverpool of now (no offence intended).

I guess my sarcasm was lost on you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Jose Mourinho
    gosplan wrote: »

LOL.

Maybe Everton would be a closer comparison. United were in Division 2 ten years before Ferguson's arrival. 92-93 was the first league success in 26 years. They certainly weren't one of the dominant teams a la the "big four" or Barca/Real

But they finished in the top 4 6 of the 10 years before Ferguson's arrival.
    They were under achieving no doubt but being in division 2 10 years before his arrival has no relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jose Mourinho
    I say mourinho.

Man Utd earned thier money unlike Chelsea who had a rich chairman. Mourinho had loads of money and couldn't bring the Champions League to Stamford Bridge.

But they finished in the top 4 6 of the 10 years before Ferguson's arrival.
    They were under achieving no doubt but being in division 2 10 years before his arrival has no relevance.
    As well as 8th, 9th and 10th finishes. No league successes in 20 years, bouncing around near the top without ever really looking like title-challengers, and more than capable of some crap seasons. Hell, Ferguson's first 4 seasons had 3 finishes outside the top 10, and he wasn't sacked, which says a lot about expectations. Compared to Mourinho: Porto (one of the Big Three), Chelsea (Abramovich's billions, fully expected to challenge on all fronts), Inter (in a very weak Italian league), and now Real Madrid. United in '86 were light-years from having anything like the expectations or resources of any of those clubs

As well as 8th, 9th and 10th finishes. No league successes in 20 years, bouncing around near the top without ever really looking like title-challengers, and more than capable of some crap seasons. Hell, Ferguson's first 4 seasons had 3 finishes outside the top 10, and he wasn't sacked, which says a lot about expectations. Compared to Mourinho: Porto (one of the Big Three), Chelsea (Abramovich's billions, fully expected to challenge on all fronts), Inter (in a very weak Italian league), and now Real Madrid. United in '86 were light-years from having anything like the expectations or resources of any of those clubs

You compared United to Fulham, where as someone pointed out you were better off comparing them to the modern Liverpool.
    United always had money and Ferguson spent plenty of it starting out.
    I just think you are overplaying how far back United were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Jose Mourinho
    You compared United to Fulham, where as someone pointed out you were better off comparing them to the modern Liverpool.
    United always had money and Ferguson spent plenty of it starting out.
    I just think you are overplaying how far back United were.

I think Tottenham (pre-CL) might be the most accurate comparison.

Big club, fairly wealthy, success limited to cup runs, some decent performances in the league without ever looking like winning it, mixed in with a few (relatively) awful seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jose Mourinho
    I say mourinho.

Mourinho inherited a good Chelsea team and had all the money in the world to back him and he failed in the eyes of Abramovich. Inter were the best team in Italy when he got them, again he had money to make them better and to be fair he had an amazing season with them. Now, he's at Madrid with potentially the best team in the world and again has lots of money.

He did exceptionally well with Porto, there's no doubting that. But, was it just a season where everything fell right for him and luck went his way?

Ferguson built United to what United is today, one of, if not the biggest football clubs in the world. The man broke the Celtic/Rangers hold on the SPL and as mars bar pointed out he transformed St. Mirren. I honestly don't think people realise just how good he is, tbh. 11 PL titles out of 19(?) is fúcking ridiculous for one manager. Include all the cups and 2 CLs he won. Jose has a long way to go before he can be as good as Ferguson.

But, I do think he'll do it. I just hope it's with United.

• Advertisement

He did exceptionally well with Porto, there's no doubting that. But, was it just a season where everything fell right for him and luck went his way?

What about winning the UEFA Cup the season before? And that was back when teams/media/fans actually cared about the competition.

Hardly going to make out that he fluked Europe 2 seasons in a row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jose Mourinho
    Dempsey wrote: »
    What about winning the UEFA Cup the season before? And that was back when teams/media/fans actually cared about the competition.

Hardly going to make out that he fluked Europe 2 seasons in a row?

For fúck sake, did I say he flukd it two seasons in a row?
    I simply asked the question, because I don't remember it overly well. I can't remember wholly but I think United should have won the tie against Porto, but I'm open to correction.

Can't ask a question around here without someone jumping down your throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Jose Mourinho
    I say mourinho.

I completely agree.

Mourinho never had money at porto, chelsea, inter or real.

:rolleyes:

Jose Mourinho
    baz2009 wrote: »
    I simply asked the question, because I don't remember it overly well. I can't remember wholly but I think United should have won the tie against Porto, but I'm open to correction.

Last minute free kick saved which Costinha tapped in.

IIRC United were going through until the last minute of the game, and after a match like that, Porto would have had all the confidence going into the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jose Mourinho
    how can you compare a guy who has >10 years of management at the top level to a guy who has 30+ years at it

Christ i hate international breaks

Jose Mourinho
    id advise anyone thinking of voting mourinho to consider that ^^^

baz2009 wrote: »

Stop being a drama queen. Google could have easily refreshed your memory but you just werent bothered looking.

They should have won that tie, but they didnt. Bayern shouldnt have conceded 2 injury time goals, but they did. Terry should have scored that penalty, but he didnt. Leave the woulda, coulda, shoulda out of it tbh.

Also Mourinho's unbeaten home record across 4 clubs is nothing short of phenomenal (dont think its been mentioned yet)

Jose Mourinho
    Stop being a drama queen. Google could have easily refreshed your memory but you just werent bothered looking.

They should have won that tie, but they didnt. Bayern shouldnt have conceded 2 injury time goals, but they did. Terry should have scored that penalty, but he didnt. Leave the woulda, coulda, shoulda out of it tbh.

Also Mourinho's unbeaten home record across 4 clubs is nothing short of phenomenal (dont think its been mentioned yet)

It's not still going strong, is it???

Edit: Holy fúck, February 2002!!!

Jose Mourinho

I believe it's 5 clubs that he has that record with.

The only home game he lost was at Porto.
    L'prof wrote: »
    It's not still going strong, is it???

Yes, I think the streak is around the 135-140 mark or so at this stage.

Jose Mourinho
    pfft

its only in the league and its 139 games in a row unbeaten......its unreal actually isnt it

• Advertisement
Advertisement