Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson or Mourinho?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Jose Mourinho
    Warper wrote: »
    This is funny, its like being up against a tag-team repeating the same sh1t. Typical Utd. bully-boy tactics. Just keep on thanking each other and ganging-up when faced with the facts.
    You're not even making any sense now, the only person thanked today was Bubs who was defending mourinho.

Again, you are talking out the wrong hole.

the one down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Jose Mourinho
    Warper you are quite funny. Fighting the ABU fight across a couple of threads. Keep on trucking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kryogen wrote: »
    Who raised the bar yet again and made Jose his bitch?

ah, now i see you answered it, well done

now the point is, i said Fergie raised the level again and beat him. you asked me what i was on about

simples

Pah ha ha ha ha.

So what? Now Ancellotti has raised the bar again and made Fergie his bitch?

Very logical argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The next person to make any off topic comment on this thread is being banned for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose Mourinho
    I love Mourinho, love the man he brought us our first Premier League, but to look past what Ferguson has done is impossible.

Jose came in and added to the squad that Ranieri had and made a team that the eyar before come close, run away with the league in his first season.

Jose, in time will go down as the greatest ever, but right now, at this point Ferguson is the greatest ever, IMO. I believe Jose will win the Champions League with Real Madrid and he could possibly do another treble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Jose Mourinho
    CorkMan wrote: »
    TBH what did Mourinho have at Porto? On an continental level he got the UEFA Cup and Champions League though. Plus Fergie came close to being sacked at Man U for his first 5 years.

Vítor Baía, Ricardo Carvalho, Costinha, Deco, Dmitri Alenichev, Hélder Postiga. and a recalled Jorge Costa.... Not a bad start to building a team TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

THFC wrote: »
    Ya but I think the point some people are trying to make is that United weren't even one of England's top clubs before Fergie came, whereas Chelsea and Inter had all the resources in the world. I think both are great managers but the fact that Fergie turned English football on its head wins it for me. That said, at the end of Mourinho's I think he will be considered the greatest coach of all time. Right now tho, its Fergie.

Genuine question here as I have no idea of the answer but what was Fergie's influence on the youth setup that churned out a team of Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Vítor Baía, Ricardo Carvalho, Costinha, Deco, Dmitri Alenichev, Hélder Postiga. and a recalled Jorge Costa.... Not a bad start to building a team TBH

There are a lot of squads better than that that haven't won the CL though, it was quite an achievement to win it with them tbf.

Jose Mourinho
    Essien wrote: »
    There are a lot of squads better than that that haven't won the CL though, it was quite an achievement to win it with them tbf.

True and its was a great achievement but to say he started in Porto with nothing would be wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Jose Mourinho
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What's your point?

My point is that someone posting about Mourinho's first ten years in management and starting with Porto is not being accurate. He managed Benfica and Leiria before Porto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

carlop wrote: »
    My point is that someone posting about Mourinho's first ten years in management and starting with Porto is not being accurate. He managed Benfica and Leiria before Porto.

What was posted was Mourinho's trophies in his first 10 years of management.

Fergie also had an unsuccessful stint as Scotland manager which hasn't been mentioned either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Jose Mourinho
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Genuine question here as I have no idea of the answer but what was Fergie's influence on the youth setup that churned out a team of Champions

Ferguson ordered a complete restructuring of the Utd youth set-up when he took control. To give you a short answer, he is largely responsible for the success of the Utd system.
    As far as I know, Utd have more ex-youth players plying their trade in the PL than any other team, including Arsenal.

Jose Mourinho
    Fergie also had an unsuccessful stint as Scotland manager which hasn't been mentioned either.

Yeah, pretty outrageous. In his 10 month stint, he didn't even win a world cup for Scotland.

#15 wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty outrageous. In his 10 month stint, he didn't even win a world cup for Scotland.

Ya just dismiss the facts that you dont like and concentrate on the ones that you do.

Jose Mourinho
    One thing which I don't think has been mentioned yet and I totally believe to be true ,
    Is that we have Mourinho to thank for reviving and recharging Ferguson passion and love of the game .Without Mourinho arrivial and the challenge that presented , Ferguson would have retired 4/5 years ago .IMO.
    And I'm sure if you ask him when he finally hangs up his boots ,who he taught was his greatest opponent ,Mourinho will be very high up or even top of the list.

Jose Mourinho
    Ya just dismiss the facts that you dont like and concentrate on the ones that you do.

Not dismissing anything. Just have an awareness of what success for Scotland actually means.

Jose Mourinho

You left out paulo ferreira, maniche, and costinha.

3 great players at the time.

Jose Mourinho
    carlop wrote: »

He was listing his trophys in his first two years, leaving those teams out is irrelevant because he won nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You left out paulo ferreira, maniche, and costinha.

3 great players at the time.

You sure they were all there when Mourhino joined?

Nonetheless the point is another nonsensical one.

Mourhino was signed for Porto after two years in management. Ferguson was four years in management before even Aberdeen signed him and it took him another good few years to find his way to Man U.

Now I'm not knocking Fergie's achievement with Aberdeen, it was incredible and won't be repeated for a while but the reason Mourhino didn't achieve such success with such a small club was that in the same time Fergie had spent at St Mirren, Jose had gone all the way to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

All good players AFTER winning the UEFA Cup and CL double TBH. How many of us heard of those players before they played Celtic in the UEFA Cup final? I say not many.

For example, none where stars in Euro 2000 or World Cup 2002. The talisman Deco wasn't even given a game with Brazil and he to wait till he was 27 to play with Portugal.

• Advertisement

Jose Mourinho
    All good players AFTER winning the UEFA Cup and CL double TBH. How many of us heard of those players before they played Celtic in the UEFA Cup final? I say not many.

For example, none where stars in Euro 2000 or World Cup 2002. The talisman Deco wasn't even given a game with Brazil and he to wait till he was 27 to play with Portugal.

Yes all became good players and their growth and following success is down to the management skills of Mourinho.. no doubt , but the point behind my post was that he did not take over a Porto side with nothing (as some where trying to imply )..alot of the ground work and players where already in place.
    Yes it was Mourinho's talent and skill along with some very good buys that brought success to the club but as I said before saying he started there with nothing is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jose Mourinho

jesus, listen I get that your from Cork, but sometimes, even if you havent heard of something, or someone, it doesnt mean it isnt pretty fricking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jose Mourinho

So only players that you've heard of are any good. LOUL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They were all still some of the best club players in Europe, easily. people like to ignore that

Deco naturalised for Portugal long before Porto's achievements, so you may go fish again.

Also, Deco was NOT the talisman for that Porto side, good player but they never relied on him for their double

Dempsey wrote: »
    They were all still some of the best club players in Europe, easily. people like to ignore that

Deco naturalised for Portugal long before Porto's achievements, so you may go fish again.

Also, Deco was NOT the talisman for that Porto side, good player but they never relied on him for their double

At the time Deco was Porto's talisman and playmaker.

Real Madrid's 2-0 Champions League win over AC Milan on Tuesday means Jose Mourinho became the first coach in his club's history to remain unbeaten in their first 10 games.

Currently, Mourinho seems to be the better manager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Jose Mourinho
    Real Madrid's 2-0 Champions League win over AC Milan on Tuesday means Jose Mourinho became the first coach in his club's history to remain unbeaten in their first 10 games.

Currently, Mourinho seems to be the better manager

Why, did ferguson lose his first ten games in charge of Real?

Basing your argument on stats like that will convince nobody.

Why, did ferguson lose his first ten games in charge of Real?

Basing your argument on stats like that will convince nobody.

I said currently, do you need a dictionary to understand what that means?

Mourinho currently has the most successful start of any manager that ever managed Real Madrid, top of la liga and their UCL group on top of that

Currently, how is Alex Ferguson doing?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Jose Mourinho
    I said currently, do you need a dictionary to understand what that means?

Mourinho currently has the most successful start of any manager that ever managed Real Madrid, top of la liga and their UCL group on top of that

Currently, how is Alex Ferguson doing?

:rolleyes:

Fergie is currently unbeaten this season too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jose Mourinho
    They have only just gone top of the league tbf, and Fergie is unbeaten to this season

kryogen wrote: »
    They have only just gone top of the league tbf, and Fergie is unbeaten to this season

Read Madrid 1st & 17 pts from 7 games
    Man United 4th & 14 pts from 8 games

Both unbeaten but there is significant differences in their form & performances, yet you try to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jose Mourinho
    Read Madrid 1st & 17 pts from 7 games
    Man United 4th & 14 pts from 8 games

Both unbeaten but there is significant differences in their form & performances, yet you try to spin it.

Mother o Jaysus. This is how we decide who is the better manager, current or otherwise.

I`m sure I could dig out some stats for a manager somewhere who has team have more points this season so far. Does that mean they are a better manager than both?

adox wrote: »
    Mother o Jaysus. This is how we decide who is the better manager, current or otherwise.

I`m sure I could dig out some stats for a manager somewhere who has team have more points this season so far. Does that mean they are a better manager than both?

I'm comparing Real Madrid & Man United in their respective leagues so far (both are arguably the best in world football btw) and Mourinho has achieved something that hasnt been done in their 108 year history. Obviously he has been managing his team very well to achieve that whilst United are dropping 2 goal leads against West Brom & Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jose Mourinho
    Can't really compare, time and trophies talk so Fergie has it on that count but you'd have to give Jose another 20 or so years in charge of a top club to see how he'd fare.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Jose Mourinho
    Stop talking sh*te Dmpsey. I don't really care if you think nose is better thn fergie, but basing it on how a season has gone seven games in is something only someone really really thick would do.

And you're not that thick Dempsey,.

Are you?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Stop talking sh*te Dmpsey. I don't really care if you think nose is better thn fergie, but basing it on how a season has gone seven games in is something only someone really really thick would do.

And you're not that thick Dempsey,.

Are you?

I'm talking about current form here only, the opening post was ambiguous to what context to compare the two and I've already given my opinion on their overall records.

You seem too thick to distinguish the context I'm talking about

Jose Mourinho
    Current form is a pretty silly context from which to view the thread.

David N'gog has scored many more goals than Fernando Torres this season.

But that has f*ck all to do with who's the better player.

Yopur argument is pointless.

Stop.

Current form is a pretty silly context from which to view the thread.

David N'gog has scored many more goals than Fernando Torres this season.

But that has f*ck all to do with who's the better player.

Yopur argument is pointless.

Stop.

I didnt say that Mourinho's form is better so therefore he is the better manager overall, I just said he's the better manager currently. Dont put words in my mouth.

To me, comparing their careers at the point is pointless (except in the UCL) so I'll choose the context which would have merit in discussing. Maybe you should go bitch in the OP's ear about not making himself crystal clear in what context we are only to discuss.

My argument isnt pointless, stop trolling me

Jose Mourinho
    Ah, Dempsey lad.

Even saying he's the better manager currently based on seven gamnes, in different leagues in monumentally stupid.

Ah, Dempsey lad.

Even saying he's the better manager currently based on seven gamnes, in different leagues in monumentally stupid.

And why is that?

• Advertisement

Jose Mourinho
    I don't seriously believe you need that question to be answered tbh.

I refer you back to David N'Gog.

Seven games is nothing in football.

I don't seriously believe you need that question to be answered tbh.

I refer you back to David N'Gog.

Seven games is nothing in football.

That "N'Gog argument" was stupid tbh because you were putting words into my mouth. How about you go read my posts properly?

My original point was about 10 games in all competitions, not just the league but I highlighted the league form as a clear difference in form and performances of their teams. You really going to stick you head in the sand on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,848 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jose Mourinho
    Fergie

Jose Mourinho
    10 games or 7 games, the point still stands.

You're actually awful.

10 games or 7 games, the point still stands.

You're actually awful.

I dont really care what you think tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Two incredible managers with contrasting careers but equal success!

AF has built a dynasty at Old Trafford whereas JM has had phenomenal success at 3 different clubs.

For me I think it's a greater achievement to accomplish what Jose Morinho has.

He's continually been successful at different clubs within different cultures.

Putting aside club rivilaries, if I had a choice to pick either as my clubs new manager it would be an esay choice in picking JM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Going to have to side with Dempsey on this one and say Neil Lennon is currently better than both due to his 100% record so far this season. Also, when was Fergie at a club that spent €200m+ in 2 seasons?

Liam O wrote: »
    Going to have to side with Dempsey on this one and say Neil Lennon is currently better than both due to his 100% record so far this season. Also, when was Fergie at a club that spent €200m+ in 2 seasons?

Epic Fail

La Liga & EPL >> SPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Epic Fail

La Liga & EPL >> SPL

I think your sarcasm detector needs some repairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Frisbee wrote: »
    I think your sarcasm detector needs some repairs...
    I think we should add Lennon to the poll though it's obvious he is the current top manager rumour has it Liverpool have been round tapping him up too.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement