Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve & IceFrog - Game Announcement Tomorrow [DOTA 2 Announced]

Options
  • 13-10-2010 12:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, some news at last from IceFrog about is latest project with Valve will be revealed tomorrow . . .

Any speculations?
    Defense of the Anicents (DOTA) developer Icefrog dropped a note on his PlayDota blog that his game with Valve will be revealed tomorrow through Game Informer.

Andy McNamara, editor-in-chief of Game Informer, also tweeted that the outlet would be publishing a "really kick ass" story tomorrow.

Riot Games butted heads with Valve recently over a filed trademark for "DOTA", leading to speculation that Valve would be releasing its own version of the popular Warcraft III map. Riot's own League of Legends is based around the formula established by Defense of the Ancients.

Valve and Icefrog Game Announcement Coming Tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

DotA:Source

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

If it's just another game like DotA/HoN/LoL, I don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I can't imagine it being anything exciting at all. Hope I'm wrong though. I always like a nice surprise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Half Life 2: Episode 3

looooooooooool

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Oh Valve, always announcing a forthcoming announcement. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

They are still releasing games using the Source engine?

Jesus, get with the times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Yep, Portal 2 is next up and despite 'not being with the times' I am sure it will shift copies by the bucketload.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't imagine it being anything exciting at all. Hope I'm wrong though. I always like a nice surprise.
    DONT SAY SURPRISE

Damnit

That makes 2 of 3 Surprises promised in the next year.

You realise that now dont you.

Overheal wrote: »
    DONT SAY SURPRISE

Damnit

That makes 2 of 3 Surprises promised in the next year.

You realise that now dont you.

Have Valve used up one already?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tis' DOTA2.
    VALVE ANNOUNCES DOTA 2

Leading Independent Studio Reveals "IceFrog's" New Project

October 13, 2010 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Dota 2, a massive sequel for one of the most played games in the world.

Coming to the PC & Mac in 2011, Dota 2 promises to take the unique blend of online RTS and RPG action that has made Dota popular with tens of millions of gamers and expand upon it in every way.

First details on Dota 2 are available now via an exclusive on Gameinformer.com.

For more information on Valve and its games, please visit www.steamgames.com

Valve are also doing something funky with SteamWorks it seems, basically allowing the rewarding of players in-game based on their constructive participations on community forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Iirc, Valve have implied that there is no reason the source engine can't be iterated on indefinitely. Scrapping everything and building a new engine, from the ground up, would be akin to re-inventing the wheel.

Fnz wrote: »
    Iirc, Valve have implied that there is no reason the source engine can't be iterated on indefinitely. Scrapping everything and building a new engine, from the ground up, would be akin to re-inventing the wheel.
    Blizzard just installed some Dx11 Rendering into World of Warcraft last night, so I guess anything is possible.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Have Valve used up one already?

http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/

http://store.steampowered.com/steamaccount/addfunds/

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/09/14/video-driver-updates-made-easy-amd-and-valve-team-up-to-provide-ati-catalyst-updates-on-steam/

I'd reckon..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Truth About IceFrog: Behind the Bull****

Oh boy . . . someone aint happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can not wait for this, yessss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The Truth About IceFrog: Behind the Bull****

Oh boy . . . someone aint happy.

Reading that post now.

The site, mylife.com, that the blogger uses as "evidence" against Abdul (IceFrog) has a bad reputation according to WOT (Web of Trust): http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mylife.com

Edit: Pfft, waste of time. Sierra summed it up nicely - someone isn't happy.

Someone hates Arabs, lol.

Advertisement