Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new Lawn by winter ?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Im trying to decide if i should re-seed the back lawn after my 2 dogs have left it quite bare over the summer. I have noticed a fair bit of regrowth in the bare and patchy areas so my question is, Will i bother putting down seed and see how it goes or is it too late in the season ? Any feedback would be hellpful.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Because it has been so mild lately you might just get away with it. November would be too late for seed. I topdressed and threw down seed just over 2 weeks ago and the new growth is coming on strong. But I had to water every night, who would have thought we'd get so little rain :-)

See if you can get some autumn seed. I got a box in lidl, has a good mix of fine and utility grasses. They might have some still in stock.

Rake the soil a little and be sure to cover the seed lightly and press it down. I sprinkled ordinary multipurpose compost through the holes in the bottom of flower pot. And water lightly every day if there is no rain until it's growing well.

And put some Autumn feed down to strengthen the roots for the winter. This can be applied latest November, so if you get your skates on and seed soon you might just time it all well and have something decent to work on in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Thanks for that i saw some seeding alirght but it had no 1 and no 2 , the assistant was of no help with which type to go for so i guess im looking for a autumn seed and do i water every night presuming theres no rain or until it grows ?

Cheers :)

Yes you should water it if there is no rain. Just a quick spray will do. Good luck

Advertisement