Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Ireland 11

• 13-10-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Everybody is talking about who should/shouldn't be in the Irish team so I thought it would be interesting for people to post their own 11, formations and all. My mind is not fully made up so I'd like to see what players other people think should be included.

Like a lot of people I have high hopes for McCarthy ( if he does represent us) and Coleman. I also think O'Dea is a very good prospect. When Chris McCann is fit again he should also feature. Barry Maguire should be snapped up before he changes his mind and chooses to represent The Netherlands.

My team always changes but it would be something similar to this.
    ......Given......

Coleman... Dunne... O’Dea... O’Shea
    McCarthy....... C.McCann
    .......... Fahey...........
    Keane................... Duff
    ........ Doyle......

I'd like to see other peoples teams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Given
    Coleman-Dunne-St Ledger-O Shea
    Whelan-Gibson
    McGeady--Keane---Duff
    Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Given
    Coleman
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Foley
    McGeady
    McCarthy
    Fahey
    Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

A team of BGreens.

Given
    Coleman----Dunne----St. Ledger----O'Shea
    McCarthy---Whelan----Reid
    Duff
    McGeady
    Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Given
    Coleman-Dunne-St. Ledger-O'Shea
    McGeady-Fahey-McCarthy-Duff
    Doyle-Keane

I still think we need someone in cm to take charge of things, though i think McCarthy might be able to do that in a few years i'm not sure he will command things just yet. Saying that the midfield aboive are all good on the ball so should be able to control the pace of games, something we struggle to do against good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

right now?

i'm not a hater of Keane in the slightest; i think he gets a raw deal from a lot of fans, but until he gets sharp he shouldn't be starting.

Given
    Coleman--Dunne---O'Shea
    Foley
    Whelan

McCarthy
    Fahey
    McGeady
    Duff
    Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Coleman's made every squad so far. Trap for the love of God give the guy a run!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Given

Coleman----Dunne----St. Ledger----O'Shea

McCarthy---Fahey

Duff
    Keane
    McGeady

Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Coleman's made every squad so far. Trap for the love of God give the guy a run!

To be honest, I've seen very little of him but we're not really flush with options at full back.

To be honest, I've seen very little of him but we're not really flush with options at full back.

I think he's an excellent prospect. An exciting attacking fullback. The "attacking part" may prevent him from featuring much in the current Irish squad though. Not sure if Trap wants his fullbacks to pass the half way line. Also if McGeady plays and doesn't track back and defend it could limit Colemans capabilities to get forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think that Kilbane's time is up, so O'Shea should switch to LB with Kelly/Coleman/Foley coming in at RB.

We've missed Andrews in CM - He's not the greatest but he has more composure on the ball than Whelan or Green and he gets up and down the pitch well. McCarthy, while promising is still totally unproven at this level - he should definitely get the start against Norway.

I don't like the look of a Fahey/McCarthy CM - I would doubt that they will give us enough defensively.

McGeady doesn't offer enough protection to his FB. I don't think he should be playing in a 4-4-2, so in my mind it comes down to a choice between Keane and McGeady. On form you'd have to go with McGeady.

Given
    Coleman - St.Ledger - Dunne - O'Shea
    Fahey - Whelan - Andrews ----
    McGeady
    Duff
    Doyle

This also gives you good options on the bench like Keane, Long and Hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Given
    Coleman--Dunne--St.Ledger--O'Shea
    Mcarthy
    Fahey
    Lawrence
    McGeady
    Duff
    Doyle

I'd like to see McGeady given a run as AMC, in a 4-2-3-1, I think he could do a very good job there if he just smartened up his play a bit.

Also, don't see the need to drop St. Ledger, he's been very solid any time I've seen him play, I quite like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Given
    Coleman ---Dunne---O'Shea----Ward
    McGeady----Gibson---Andrews----Fahey----Hunt
    Doyle/Keane (if he ever regains form)

I've put five across the centre because Gibson and Fahey are not afraid to get forward, Fahey can play anywhere in midfield but i have him in the centre because he can recieve a pass and more importantly make one which is non existent in Green Whelans or Andrews games, but of the 3 i thinkn Andrews is the strongest he has had 2 immense performances and the back 4 could do with cover especially having two relatively inexperienced full backs, certainly at international level anyway who also like to get forward. I've gone for McGeady over Duff, I know he doesn't track back like Hunt and Duff do but i do feel he poses a threat at times and he's not afraid to get on the ball and that is something this team seriously lacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Given

--Coleman---Dunne--St.ledger--O Shea--

--Fahey----Andrews----McCarthy---Duff--

Doyle
    Keane

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think that Kilbane's time is up, so O'Shea should switch to LB with Kelly/Coleman/Foley coming in at RB.

+1

Kilbane has been a great servant for Ireland so I was kinda hoping that he would decide to retire himself and give the younger lads a chance. He must see that he can't cope at this level anymore and that he has become a liability. It will eventually get to the stage were he will just have to be dropped. IMO a player with his experience and age shouldn't be dropped, they should decide to leave with dignity. The longer he plays, the more he risks ruining his reputation in the eyes of Irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Given
    Coleman
    O Shea
    Dunne
    Ward
    McGeady
    Whelan
    Fahey
    Duff
    Doyle
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Why all the Keane hate guys? He has 45 international goals and is still one of our best players. He was poor in last nights game but IMO we can't afford to leave a player of his quality on the bench!

Anyhow, at the moment i'd be happy with something like this.

Given
    Kelly---Dunne---St Ledger---O'Shea
    McGeady---Gibson---Whelan---Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

But depending on the development of a few players this season i wouldn't mind something like this.

Given
    Coleman---Dunne---Wilson---O'Shea
    McGeady---McCarthy---Gibson---Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

I think McCarthy is more of a winger and would be worried about a lack of bite in central midfield, although i'm sure i'm missing someone obvious so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Degag wrote: »
    Why all the Keane hate guys? He has 45 international goals and is still one of our best players. He was poor in last nights game but IMO we can't afford to leave a player of his quality on the bench!

Anyhow, at the moment i'd be happy with something like this.

Given
    Kelly---Dunne---St Ledger---O'Shea
    McGeady---Gibson---Whelan---Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

But depending on the development of a few players this season i wouldn't mind something like this.

Given
    Coleman---Dunne---Wilson---O'Shea
    McGeady---McCarthy---Gibson---Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

I think McCarthy is more of a winger and would be worried about a lack of bite in central midfield, although i'm sure i'm missing someone obvious so.....

McCarthy isn't a winger in any way, shape or form. He will add that bit of bite in central midfield definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I think Kilbane should be dropped because he isn't up to the pace of international football anymore. I'd like to see how Seamus Coleman would perform if given the chance. And our midfield really needs to up its game if we stand a chance of progressing to the finals in 2012.

Given

Coleman - Dunne - St. Ledger - O'Shea

McGeady - Fahey - Gibson - Duff

Keane - Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Given
    Kelly---Dunne---St.Ledger---O'Shea
    McGeady---Fahey---Whelan---Duff
    Doyle
    Keane

This would be my starting line up assuming Keane gets some games and no injuries. I would also like to see McCarthy play but I haven't seen enough of him to put him ahead of Whelan yet.

For the Norway match, I would like:
    Given
    Kelly Wilson St.Ledger Cunningham
    Coleman McCarthy Fahey Ephraim(assuming its true he's declared for us)
    Keane Long

Given and Keane to add experience and because they need games, the rest because I want to give some a chance/see them play/tie them to Ireland.

I honestly wouldn't mind the result if we took a chance with a team like this in the friendly (as long as we're not absolutely destroyed)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Given
    JOS---Dunne---Wilson---Ward
    ---Fahey---McCarthy---Gibson
    McGeady
    Duff
    Doyle

Westwood
    Coleman
    St Ledger
    Meyler
    Lawerence
    Long
    Keane

I'm not sure if Coleman is ready, particulary for full back but def a prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

What exactly does Glenn Whelan bring to the table? Genuine question. He's small, can't pass, can't tackle. Stoke fans wonder the same thing - just read their messageboard 'The Oatcake'. Heck, I'm no Andrews fans by any means but at least he has physical presence.

Given

Coleman - Dunne - O'Shea - Ward

McGeady - McCarthy - Fahey - Duff

Doyle - Keane

That's the best XI we have to offer (excluding Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid) at time of writing, IMO.

Very few people are choosing Ward in place of Kilbane and instead are opting to move Oshea and retain StLedger and bring in Coleman. Ward is playing week in and out in the left and is doing a damn fine job of it too in my opinion. I'm not convinced by St ledger but i definately think he's is the best centre half we have after Dunne and O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

2 essential problem are left back and center mid. its impossible to have our best 11 out, but i would have

john o shea move to left back and somebody like gibson play in the middle. Andrews/whelan prooved they can do a job in paris and against italy teice, so they deserve another shot. andrews has played the odd game for blackburn at RB, id try him there, he has to be a better option than kilbane, with JOS moving to LB. we need to get back to playing the football we played in paris last november, playing with controlled agression.

robbie keane will score goals, its a bit harsh to drop him, he needs to move to villa or somebody like that to regain his sharpness

shane long, duff, hunt, mcgeedy, mccarthy, lawrence, fahey would all battle it out for the remaining 2 places and i would put andy reid in the squad along with coleman. Green shouldnt even be in irelands top 18, let alone 11, but that is not his fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

given
    coleman/jo's
    dunne
    st.ledger
    jo's/cunnignham
    fahy
    mccarty
    andrews
    duff/mcgeady
    doyle
    keane

cant understand people dropping st.ledger, he has been really really good since he came in, just took the step up to international level like a duck to water and he is a goal scoring centre half when trap actually lets him go up for corners and free kicks! something we have not had for a few years!

in a few years, or even the next world cup qualifers i would have

given
    coleman
    clarke/o'dea
    st.ledger
    cunningham
    ??
    mccarty
    myler (if he gets back from injury maybe, not sure on this)
    mcgeady
    doyle
    long/ephraim

maybe long in right wing, ephraim up front

But why play two players out of position when you can bring in a genuine left back and leave JOS at right back or alternatively play Ward and Coleman two genuine full backs and hve Dunne and JOS in the centre....only playing JOS out of position and lets face JOS is never really out of position no matter where you play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Corholio wrote: »
    McCarthy isn't a winger in any way, shape or form. He will add that bit of bite in central midfield definitely.

Though he has been playing centre midfield a lot lately during his Hamilton days he played on the wing quiet a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

GIVEN
    COLEMAN O'SHEA DUNNE WARD
    McGEADY FAHEY McCARTHY DUFF
    KEANE DOYLE

ALSO:

(3-1-3-3)
    GIVEN
    O'SHEA DUNNE ST. LEDGER
    McCARTHY
    McGEADY FAHEY DUFF
    KEANE DOYLE WALTERS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Does Jamie O'Hara have any notion of declaring? Although he'd improve us a hundred fold, I found the 'I'll wait to see what happens with England first' message a bit facepalm-ish.

Dimitri wrote: »
    But why play two players out of position when you can bring in a genuine left back and leave JOS at right back or alternatively play Ward and Coleman two genuine full backs and hve Dunne and JOS in the centre....only playing JOS out of position and lets face JOS is never really out of position no matter where you play him.

we are not exactly blessed with left backs are we?

JOS has played a huge amount of games at left back for united and ireland and played an entire season there, in his debut season, for united.

another option he could try in the friendlies coming up is JOS as the holding midfielder alongside gibson and give the likes of coleman, ward, cunningham, andrews the chance to nail down a full back spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Given

Coleman St Ledger Dunne O'Shea

Lawerence McCarthy Gibson Duff

Keane Long/Doyle

Subs : Murphy, Fahey, Kelly, S Hunt, Stokes, McGeady, Andrews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Breen

Breen - Breen - Breen - Breen

Breen - Breen - Breen - Breen

Breen - Breen

Subs:
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I am surprised at how many people have Coleman in so far. I have watched in a few times and defensively he is pretty poor however he is excellent going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Given

Coleman---St. Ledger---Dunne---O'Shea

McGeady---Whelan---Fahey----Duff

Keane----Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Given

Coleman---St. Ledger---Dunne---O'Shea

McGeady---Andrews---Ireland----Duff

Keane

Doyle

bobbyg wrote: »
    I am surprised at how many people have Coleman in so far. I have watched in a few times and defensively he is pretty poor however he is excellent going forward.

indeed, though at this stage, we could do a lucky dip on boards and any one of us would do better than the clown thats currenyl playing left full. i think its a no brainer putting o shea in there now and getting a new RB and in all fairness, if yout getting games for everton, you surely deserve to be in a team ahead of some players who are not gerting games, or are playing in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Any chance of a Stephen Carr recall?

Would not say no to Delap either, his throws would deffo add something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

indeed, though at this stage, we could do a lucky dip on boards and any one of us would do better than the clown thats currenyl playing left full. i think its a no brainer putting o shea in there now and getting a new RB and in all fairness, if yout getting games for everton, you surely deserve to be in a team ahead of some players who are not gerting games, or are playing in the championship.

Coleman got a couple of starts recently because Tony Hibbert was injured. Be interesting to see what happens when Hibbert is back 100%. Coleman has certainly made a couple of mistakes, but that's going to happen to every young defender. Be great if Moyes showed a bit of faith in him, its not like Hibbert is any great shake anyway.

But at present no question in my mind that Kelly and O'Shea should be full backs for Ireland.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Would not say no to Delap either, his throws would deffo add something.

we are s*ite enough to watch as it it:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Given
    Coleman - Dunne - St. Ledger - O'Shea

Lawrence - Fahey - Gibson - McGeady

Doyle - Keane

or

Given
    Coleman - Dunne - St. Ledger - Cunningham

O'Shea
    Fahey - Whelan
    McGeady

Doyle
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

we are not exactly blessed with left backs are we?

All you need is Stephen Ward.

Given

Coleman
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Ward

Lawrence
    McCarthy
    Duff

McGeady

Doyle
    Keane

A little short in the middle of the park admittedly but by fuck at least it'd be interesting going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

we are s*ite enough to watch as it it:eek::eek::eek:
    Take for instance last nights game. How many throws near the box did we get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Xavi6 wrote: »
    All you need is Stephen Ward.

Given

Coleman
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Ward

Lawrence
    McCarthy
    Duff

McGeady

Doyle
    Keane

A little short in the middle of the park admittedly but by fuck at least it'd be interesting going forward.

But have you seen Ward play this season?

He's been "involved" in a lot of goals Wolves have conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But have you seen Ward play this season?

He's been "involved" in a lot of goals Wolves have conceded.

I've seen him a number of times and been quite impressed.

The thing is, and it's a major selling point, he is playing Premiership football week in, week out. Our other natural options are either sitting on the bench in the lower regions of the Championship or playing reserve team football.

He deserves at least a run in the friendlies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Given

Coleman---Dunne---Sledge---O'Shea

S. Reid

Fahy
    Mccarthy

Duff
    McGeady

Doyle

Subs:
    Westwood
    Foley
    Cunningham
    Lawrence
    Meyler
    Hunt
    Long

Robbie is so badly off form it's painful to watch. I still rate him but until he is playing regular football and have a bit of confidence there is no point in him being on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Given
    O'Shea
    Cunningham
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    McGeady
    Lawrence
    McCarthy
    Andrews
    Keane
    Doyle

Can't believe how many teams include Whelan and do not include Robbie Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Given

Foley
    St Ledger
    Dunne
    O'Shea

McGeady
    McCarthy
    Whelan
    Duff

Doyle
    Keane

I am surprised so many people are saying Coleman. Even his club manager says he is not ready defensively at full-back:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/10/01/moyes-coleman-hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Given
    Kelly - Dunne - St.Ledger - O'Shea
    Lawrence - Fahey - Andrews - Duff
    Keane - Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Given
    Coleman- St Ledger- Dunne- J.O.S
    Lawrence- Ireland- Duff
    Mcgeady
    Doyle - Keane