Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord requesting PPS Number?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I recently was requested by my landlord to provide my PPS number. Initially I had no problem, but upon reflection, is this a normal request? Is it safe to disclose such information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's normal and I believe needed for PTRB application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Its the law that a tenant has to be registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Does this mean that if a Landlord has not asked for any PPS numbers after a few months, he may not be PRTB registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Darlughda wrote: »
    Does this mean that if a Landlord has not asked for any PPS numbers after a few months, he may not be PRTB registered?

Yes.
    You should recive a letter from PRTB when you are registered as liveing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It is the tenancy and not the landlord that is PRTB registered.

However, if the landlord has not asked for the PPS number of the tenant, he either hasn't registered or is relying on the new section of the form which allows a landlord to state that he has made an attempt to gain the PPS number of the tenant but hasn't managed to do so. Possibly for reasons similar to the OP's concerns.

• Advertisement

Darlughda wrote: »

It's €70 to register a tenancy within 30 days of it commencing, €140 for late registrations. If he hasn't asked for it I would imagine it's not registered. If it's not registered I would deduce the rent money is going in the landlord's back pocket. Iirc the tenant also signs the form for the PRTB, or maybe only their name is needed along with address and PRSI number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes, both parties sign (or an agency can do it on your Landlord's behalf).

If you haven't got a letter, he probably ain't registered.

Advertisement