Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Gaeltacht?

• 13-10-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, I want my son to learn and love Irish but to have fun too(can you do both) so I am between Colaiste Chamuis, Colaiste Lurgan, Colaiste Shoesaimh or Colaiste Chiarain. This is a big deal (cost etc) so I would really appreciate any help from anyone. Spleodar is already full for June, which is when I want to send him. Please if you have comments let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

colaiste UISCE in mayo, look it up!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I have heard less than glowing reviews of Colaiste Uisce.....

Colaiste na bhFiann colleges are generally excellent, look into which ever one suits your age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where does he want to go (does he not have any choice?)?

I went to Sheosaimh one year.
    It was alright.

I would recommend the one on Inis Iarr though cause its quite cool.
    Swimming in the Atlantic every day.
    No getting a bus.
    Plenty of exercise and reasonably sized (not too large or small).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mumser wrote: »
    Hi, I want my son to learn and love Irish but to have fun too(can you do both) so I am between Colaiste Chamuis, Colaiste Lurgan, Colaiste Shoesaimh or Colaiste Chiarain. This is a big deal (cost etc) so I would really appreciate any help from anyone. Spleodar is already full for June, which is when I want to send him. Please if you have comments let me know. Thanks.

Arran Mor in Donegal was the one I went to, and suffice to say I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Thanks to all who have replied so far.
    To answer some questions - he is in 2nd year and he does have a choice but for complicated reasons we are looking for a good one in Galway. I have gone through lots of threads on this already and narrowed it down to the colaistai listed above. I just think word of mouth is a good way to get information(and yes I do know I need to take it with a pinch of salt!) I have seen negative comments on Colaiste Chiarain and some positive ones on Chamuis and Sheosaimh. I want my son to learn and enjoy the experience and secondly I don't have E900 to throw away so I want to make the right choice. Have heard good about Lurgan too but again for various reasons we may not be able to go there.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Don't go to Chirain. I went there. It's poorly organised, I went in 3rd year and it was ****e. It rained for the most part of the 3 weeks (as it does in Ireland) but they didn't have anything arrnaged for those days. So the whole college had to sit on our bums in the sports hall for about 2-3 hours a day of which we only spent about 30 mins playing games. The rest was sitting around bored speaking English. Complete waste of money.

Lurgan is supposed to be good as is Arann Mor.

Advertisement