Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation Winter Clothing

Options
  • 13-10-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

With the winter coming soon, im in need of some clothing to kit myself out. What suggestions do people have?

Im thinking 3/4 tights or full length better?

terms of upper body ive a long sleeve jersey got it from planet x , but needing another one i guess and base layer too i bet.

Suggestions on makes etc...

I have a few dhb products from wiggle, and have been browsing on wiggle and probikekit, anywhere else i should look.

anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

For winter you'll need the following;

Pair of Gloves x 2
    Pair of Arm Warmers x 2
    Pair of Leg Warmers x 2
    Skull cap x2
    Pair of Knee Warmers x 2
    Full length Tights x 2
    Pair of Overshoes x 2

If its cold, wear the knee warmers and overshoes L/S Jersey and possibly gloves.

If its very cold..wear everything!:)

Why 2 of each? so you can't use the excuse "there in the wash" to whimp out on the cold frosty mornings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Wow that's a big list !!

So on average full length tights and l/s jersey with overshoes will be good

Would u wear knee/leg warmers plus full length tights or just shorts??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

A merino wool baselayer is a good idea. Toasty warm and less whiffy than a synthetic one.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Wow that's a big list !!

So on average full length tights and l/s jersey with overshoes will be good

Would u wear knee/leg warmers plus full length tights or just shorts??

No Knee warmers or Leg Warmers not both together.

What to wear in winter is trial and error. Personally speaking, I hate the cold, example, today I wore overshoes (light ones), legwarmers and shorts, L/s Jersey(over a baselayer) and a light skulll cap. Once winter really kicks in, I'll wear a heavy skull cap, L/s jersey under a L/s Jacket, Full length Tights, full finger gloves and heavy overshoes. But thats just me, i see plenty of people still cycling in shorts (Bad for your knees IMO) at this time of year.

yeah im cycling in the mornings in the shorts im just wondering how long before its too cold!

do you guys bother with 3/4 Tights or just buy the full length tights?

• Advertisement

3/4 or full length? Its a personal choice. Yesterday was foggy at 7am and i was glad i was wearing full length tights and jersey, but cycling home at 5pm i was too warm! This evening looks like its going to be a cold one, so again i'm glad I'm not wearing shorts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went out for a spin yesterday morning with training jacket and shorts :eek:

It was very heavy mist and fields covered in frost but it wasn't actually wasn't as bad as I thought to be honest, think I may get away with gloves and tights to keep me warm :)

By the end of the spin I was pretty warm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Commuting or training my motto is to wear what you think you need and carry an extra layer.

EG: For temps between:
    0 and 5C I wear shoe covers, tights over bib shorts,3 top layers and a waterproof jacket in my pocket.
    5 to 10C 2 top layers should be sufficient and I usually leave the shoe covers on if roads are wet or any risk of rain.
    >10 C I just wear shorts and 2 top layers.
    On those rare occasions >20 just short sleeve top and shorts.

However I've also done a 25 Mile TT in april at about 10C in a skin suit and I didn't feel cold.

tights over bib shorts.

can so you you can have padded shorts so no need to spend more money and get padded tights?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually on the subject of layers and waterproof jackets can anyone suggest a light, cheap ideally reflective jacket that would be handy to carry?
    Any suggestions say off of wiggle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I wouldn't bother with all those arm/leg/knee warmers myself but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

07Lapierre's advice is good but could be v expensive all in one go. I've built up most of that gear overtime and grabbing deals. Buying winter stuff in spring/summer and summer stuff in autumn/winter will save you alot of money.

If you want to cycle through winter you'll definitely need:

Good windproof thermal jacket - Can be pricey but worth it
    Baselayer - Merino or Craft Pro Warm are great
    Good winter gloves - Santini wind stopper (Excellent at -10 deg - maybe too warm for now)
    Skullcap
    Overshoes - Water and windproof (not lycra)
    Bibtights
    Warm Socks - Merino
    Light rain jacket that fits over thermal jacket

A buff to insulate your neck is very nice but a good jacket will have a high neck.

Having 2 or 3 of everything is nice but if you can put up with the smell of yourself and only washing them on rest days you'll get by with one of each. Personally though I'd go with 2 pairs of tights and baselayers for hygiene and to prevent saddle sores.

When it gets really cold, windproofing is what keeps you warm.

Stuff like gilets, arm warmers, leg warmers, 3/4 lengths, L/S jerseys are very nice to have for optimum temperature regulation as summer turns to autumn and winter to spring but you'll manage without at the moment if you don't want to kill your credit card all at once. I'd buy this stuff in Spring when it's hard to know when it's nice or nasty out.

With the exception of the past week, you'll be fine with full winter gear from now til spring.

Try parker international, ribble, prendas, geoff butler and bikepimp. It pays to shop around.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Actually on the subject of layers and waterproof jackets can anyone suggest a light, cheap ideally reflective jacket that would be handy to carry?

I've a Craft super lightweight packable rain jacket I'm going to sell if you like. It's high vis yellow size s and folds into it's own built in pouch. Bought for 50 looking for 20.

Selling because it's a little too loose for me but good if you're wearing lots of layers or want a tight aero fit.

chakattack wrote: »
    07Lapierre's advice is good but could be v expensive all in one go. I've built up most of that gear overtime and grabbing deals. Buying winter stuff in spring/summer and summer stuff in autumn/winter will save you alot of money.

If you want to cycle through winter you'll definitely need:

Good windproof thermal jacket - Can be pricey but worth it
    Baselayer - Merino or Craft Pro Warm are great
    Good winter gloves - Santini wind stopper (Excellent at -10 deg - maybe too warm for now)
    Skullcap
    Overshoes - Water and windproof (not lycra)
    Bibtights
    Warm Socks - Merino
    Light rain jacket that fits over thermal jacket

A buff to insulate your neck is very nice but a good jacket will have a high neck.

Having 2 or 3 of everything is nice but if you can put up with the smell of yourself and only washing them on rest days you'll get by with one of each. Personally though I'd go with 2 pairs of tights and baselayers for hygiene and to prevent saddle sores.

When it gets really cold, windproofing is what keeps you warm.

Stuff like gilets, arm warmers, leg warmers, 3/4 lengths, L/S jerseys are very nice to have for optimum temperature regulation as summer turns to autumn and winter to spring but you'll manage without at the moment if you don't want to kill your credit card all at once. I'd buy this stuff in Spring when it's hard to know when it's nice or nasty out.

With the exception of the past week, you'll be fine with full winter gear from now til spring.

Try parker international, ribble, prendas, geoff butler and bikepimp. It pays to shop around.

Just noticed Wiggle Sale on Baselayers - DHB Merino for £26 and Craft Pro Warm for £24 which is pretty good value.

chakattack wrote: »
    I've a Craft super lightweight packable rain jacket I'm going to sell if you like. It's high vis yellow size s and folds into it's own built in pouch. Bought for 50 looking for 20.

Selling because it's a little too loose for me but good if you're wearing lots of layers or want a tight aero fit.

Thanks for offer but no way in hell a small size will fit me, need L :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Droxford_Waterproof_Cycling_Jacket/5360044117/

After it was recommended by DirkVoodoo

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67882422&postcount=3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Today was surely single figures, never saw the sun!

Anyway I picked up one of those Montane Featherlight jackets from CRC. Great item, light, seriously ultrabright and does a great windproofing job and keeps out light rain.

Could have done with tapping up the vents in my shoes today. Fairly chilled after 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ALDI are doing a special on running gear tomorrow. There's a light reflective jacket for €15.99 if its any good for you. http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14678.htm

ALDI are doing a special on running gear tomorrow. There's a light reflective jacket for €15.99 if its any good for you. http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14678.htm

That looks suitable alright and cheap and I could use it for running, might just have to get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Don't skimp on a warm hat. You'll need to pay at least €100 to get a good one. Apparently.

• Advertisement

dhb merino - many have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

dhb merino - many have it?

The base layers have only been released as part of their 2011 range, which looks fantastic, but they have only been out for a month or so.

Road.cc have a review of the Merino 190 Base Layer and said it is very good quality at a great price.

Yeah cool look fab now decide get with or without zip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah cool look fab now decide get with or without zip! :)

I think the zip one has a high neck, so probably great for the colder days, whereas if you got the short sleeved 150g round neck you could wear it more throughout the year. I would nearly say buy the roundneck and a buff, it gives you more flexibility.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't skimp on a warm hat. You'll need to pay at least €100 to get a good one. Apparently.
    Unless you're Hungrycol

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Are the running tights ALDI have on sale today any good for commuting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Shorts and Leg warmers Arm warmers
    baselayer or 2
    jersey light |SS
    overshoes
    light shower jacket

mid spring: 3/4 length, sometimes with overshoes

its so difficult to give advice on this stuff, it depends alot on whether you cycle solo or not [you need less in a group] are you going up mountains or not, are you a fair weather biker or not. whether you use winter for low intensity base stuff, or higher intensity stuff

your budget, how mu..,

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The base layers have only been released as part of their 2011 range, which looks fantastic, but they have only been out for a month or so.

Road.cc have a review of the Merino 190 Base Layer and said it is very good quality at a great price.

thanks i ordered the l/s one :)

i went ahead and ordered a few things of wiggle, just:

Bib Tights
    Baselayers
    Windproof Jacket
    L/s Jersey

guess when it gets colder i will have a better idea what i may else need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

can so you you can have padded shorts so no need to spend more money and get padded tights?

Yes. One or other of the shorts or tights should be bib type also to prevent them slipping while on the bike.
    IMO, better to buy quality shorts with good padding and budget tights, even the lidl running tights as suggested earlier are fine for commuting and winter training.

Advertisement