Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok, I suppose 'turned a corner' is over-used...

• 13-10-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

but seriously guys, you cannot argue this is not some of the best news on the economy for a while now...

the budget is still going to be a bitch, it wont stop people emigrating and there's still long dole queues but given some time we'll recover and we'll be better off than the other european countries.

shag it, standard and poors have given us so much s'hit since the crisis that an endorsement like 'turned a corner' starts to mean something.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/economy-has-turned-the-corner-experts-say-2376296.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thats for sharing. :D

We've turned that many corners supposedly, we are going around the block in circles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The economy could turn four corners, but at the end of the day, it's back where it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

YAY!! PARTY!! FANTASTIC! THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!!!!

Except we've heard it all before. And it means very little for the average person. Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

turned another corner :mad: we hav'nt even hit rock bottom yet
    most of my neighbours have lost at least 200k on their houses they'll never get that money back all we heard for years the country's booming it's booming yeah right it was going down big time.

imf is around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats for sharing. :D

We've turned that many corners supposedly, we are going around the block in circles!

Too ****ing true!

I think it's a joke. I actually think Lenihan is taking the piss by saying this.
    If I'm correct then this is thr fourth corner we've turned, so guess what....we're right back where we started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

we havent heard anything like this before, thats the point. standard and poors being positive about us is imo the best news on the economy in 2-3 years! this is not biffo or lenners looking for a soundbite...

if that news doesnt deserve its own thread in the spirit of positivity i dont know what does! :D

In fairness, about half way down, 'Mr. Beers' starts using the words 'we think'.

All seems like specualtion to me.

ANd what really pissed me off is that when things do recover, we can bet these emergency tax increases won't be lowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Great news!

So I wont be up to me bollix in taxes now?

Too ****ing true!

I think it's a joke. I actually think Lenihan is taking the piss by saying this.
    If I'm correct then this is thr fourth corner we've turned, so guess what....we're right back where we started!

right mate - you stay angry.

and you're right, (if) lenihan said this he would be taking the piss and we would have come full circle. but he didnt, and (hopefully) we havent...

read the shaggin link ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Look at all the jobs popping up as a result of this. Outstanding.

• Advertisement

Look at all the jobs popping up as a result of this. Outstanding.
    Great news!

So I wont be up to me bollix in taxes now?

lads, are ye planning on being alive in a couple of years? if so, you should really start thinking long term...
    In fairness, about half way down, 'Mr. Beers' starts using the words 'we think'.

All seems like specualtion to me.

ANd what really pissed me off is that when things do recover, we can bet these emergency tax increases won't be lowered.

when these same guys 'think' or 'speculate' we're doing badly, it costs the country hundreds of millions...the reverse is also true.

Being honestly serious for a moment, I don't know what to believe any more...
    The fine line between PR spin and what actually true has become very foggy as of late.

I note the agency and man that stated this latest (another!) corner comment after a visit from one of our ministers this week on his own PR trip.

So while I am trying to be hopeful for the sake of the country and its people, as the source of this comment might be partly from the influence of said minister having a nice chat with David Beers, I have to remain highly sceptical to be honest once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I call shenanigans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Nice try, Cowen.

username helped give it away

Being honestly serious for a moment, I don't know what to believe any more...
    The fine line between PR spin and what actually true has become very foggy as of late.

I note the agency and man that stated this latest (another!) corner comment says this after a visit from one of our ministers this week on his own PR trip.

So while I am trying to be hopeful for the sake of the country and its people, as the source of this comment might be partly from the influence of said minister having a nice chat with David Beers, I have to remain highly sceptical to be honest once again.

thats how the world works biggins :)

if someone wants to sweet talk one of the most powerful institutions on this planet into telling the world that ireland's open for business and things are looking good i'm not going to stop them.

Nice try, Cowen.

username helped give it away

*yawns*

this one's old...

lads, are ye planning on being alive in a couple of years?

Are you threatening to kill me biffo? :eek:

if someone wants to sweet talk one of the most powerful institutions on this planet into telling the world that ireland's open for business and things are looking good i'm not going to stop them.

Ireland has always been open for business, and it didn't get us out of the recession so far. In fact, businesses have left Ireland and gone to cheaper countries like Poland.

There's people sitting in their rapidly devaluing houses loosing jobs every day biting their nails at the thoughts of the next budget. I can't see how we've turned a corner at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

What are they basing this on? All the recent figures have shown the economy is doing worse than expected.

thats how the world works biggins :)

Me neither but I'd hope they are coming in on a true basis and understanding of the Irish prospects where they will have a stable future based on solid facts and ground - not just a questionable future based solely on a shaky foundation that might be just collapse shortly later, due to it being just spin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We've turned the corner going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Best news in ages but we won't see it's effect (if any) it will have for at least 6 months. That will be way after we get bent over a barrel for the budget.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Well Cowen's the head man so we're heading up his rear!

O' hell! Reverse, reverse quick!!! :eek:

Are you threatening to kill me biffo? :eek:

nah - need you to contribute to recovery :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Well Cowen's the head man so we're heading up his rear!

O' hell! Reverse, reverse quick!!! :eek:

Biffo' rectum isnt the place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

lads, are ye planning on being alive in a couple of years? if so, you should really start thinking long term..

Think capital letters.

Biffo' rectum isnt the place to be.
    O'... the thought of it. Yuck! :eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok, I didnt want to post this because people already seem to have convinced themselves that I'm wearing a full body Comedy Cowen suit but....

Mate of mine who I have known since school is the owner and director of one of the country's largest, if not THE largest renters of shop space. Think "Stephen's Green Shopping Centre", "Blanchardstown" "Nutgrove" sort of thing. Now in the last 2 years he said business has been pretty bad but in the last 6 months, its picked up to the point where they have little to nothing left on their books to rent.

Now, I'm no economist and I'm pretty sure we will need lube for the next budget but I cant help thinking that a lot of the news is simply spin, both positive and negative.

The one thing recessions do, is create entrepreneurship. The reason people dont become their own bosses is two fold:
    1. They are scared of the unknown and what the future would bring.
    2. They are overly comfortable with their safe salaried desk job.

During a recession a lot of people find themselves without #2 and with few jobs going, there doesnt seem much reason not to give it a shot after all.

We need to fix the budget deficit, we need to sort out our political system cos its a mess, but I honestly dont think Ireland is in the gutter just yet. We wont have the lifestyle we have become accustomed to but whether that is a good or bad thing is another day's argument.

I like numbers, numbers dont lie (statistics on the other hand...).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I turned a corner once, there was a big angry hungry looking Alsatian there.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    I turned a corner once, there was a big angry hungry looking Alsatian there.
    ...But thats enough about my ex-wife...

Da dum... dishhh... :o

and you're right, (if) lenihan said this he would be taking the piss and we would have come full circle. but he didnt, and (hopefully) we havent...

But circles don't have corners ffs.

DeVore wrote: »
    Mate of mine who I have known since school is the owner and director of one of the country's largest, if not THE largest renters of shop space. Think "Stephen's Green Shopping Centre", "Blanchardstown" "Nutgrove" sort of thing. Now in the last 2 years he said business has been pretty bad but in the last 6 months, its picked up to the point where they have little to nothing left on their books to rent.

and dundrum town centre has increased its rents by massive amounts recently - upwards of 100% in some cases i have heard - a sure indication that there's plenty of money being spent.

a fellow i know works for a mercedes dealership - apparently they've had a very good year.

neither of these examples help people on the dole or struggling - but people need to think long term. money NEEDS to circulate in the economy or you'll never have a job again

i agree with everything you said devore

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

I am ready for the boom. Last i missed it somehow, My wish list for this boom,

Apart from the 42" Flat Screen tele and drink like fish in weekend,

Loans:

Take big loan and give it Michael Lynn to buy property in Bulgaria
    Take another loan invest property pyramid scheme in Dubai
    Take another loan and buy house with zero or less amenities in Dublin 108 (100 miles from work place)
    Take wee loan go to shopping New York for Xmas

Credit Card:

Book the ticket to some English match which i have no connection whatsoever, go and watch.
    Book the ski trip in alps with 4**** hotel, but i will stay indoor in a cosy Irish pub.
    Book the sun trip in meditarian with 3 *** hotel, but i will again stay indoor in cosy Irish pub.

Credit Union:

Take a loan and buy German made ubur expensive car for my commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fuck the corners, we want the straight and narrow, with a light at the beginning of the tunnel thrown in for good measure.

But circles don't have corners ffs.

if you've gone around four 90 degree corners arching your route outwards at the point of touching said corners and decreasing your trajectory toward the next corner at the apex of said arch you will have gone 'full circle' ffs

:cool:

• Advertisement

if you've gone around four 90 degree corners arching your route outwards at the point of touching said corners and decreasing your trajectory toward the next corner at the apex of said arch you will have gone 'full circle' ffs

I knew failing maths in school would lead me to being confused at some stage in life.

I just didn't think it would be on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pfffft, you're supposed to reverse around the corner.

Typical Irish trait, when things were good folks thought they would always be good, when things are bad same thing applies. There are jobs out there, the pay may not be what folks want but they are out there. Many folk don't want things to improve, they just want to keep complaining, oh poor me........ bla bla bla...........

and dundrum town centre has increased its rents by massive amounts recently - upwards of 100% in some cases i have heard - a sure indication that there's plenty of money being spent.

Or perhaps they're trying to make up a shortfall in rents they've lost. Anyway upping rents is not going to get us out of a hole, it's just pushing prices back up again on everything because the extra cost will have to be taken from the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

it depends where the corner leads to. If you were out for a drive and you turned a corner to Longford, would you be happy?

• Advertisement

But that's totally not how I turn corners ffs.
    Keep it close to the wall.

steve06 wrote: »
    Or perhaps they're trying to make up a shortfall in rents they've lost. Anyway upping rents is not going to get us out of a hole, it's just pushing prices back up again on everything because the extra cost will have to be taken from the consumer.

i see your point but increasing them by such large margins indicates they're sure tenants have been making profits to cover it - they would hardly try squeeze this much out of them otherwise.

i'm not suggesting that rents in themselves get us out of a hole - i'm saying that they are a good indicator of the health of the retail sector which employs alot of people, contributes to the VAT take, corporation tax etc etc. in general, any individual or company making and spending money is exactly what will get this country out of recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

LOL, do you even know who said we turned a corner? It was an italian banker, not S&P.

Very misleading article.

whitesands wrote: »
    LOL, do you even know who said we turned a corner? It was an italian banker, not S&P.

Very misleading article.

pedantosauraus warning..

right fine, someone called gillian edgeworth (who doesnt sound italian to me, if you want to be pedantic) used the expression but the S&P chief economist was very clear in his comments.

point stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

After his [Mr. Beers from S&P]comments, Gillian Edgeworth, an economist at Italian bank UniCredit, which often comments on the Irish economy, said she believed the Irish economy had "turned a corner" although it remained "fragile" as the Government struggled to push down the country's budget deficit.

1 person in Italy said we turned a corner :rolleyes:

i see your point but increasing them by such large margins indicates they're sure tenants have been making profits to cover it - they would hardly try squeeze this much out of them otherwise.
    Sorry but I don't buy that. I've seen company's client lists drop off over the last few years and where the companies have overheads or in most cases a board of directors that want their graphs to go in only 1 direction, the shortfall is placed back on remaining clients and masked as an advanced service offering or investment into r&d etc.
    i'm not suggesting that rents in themselves get us out of a hole - i'm saying that they are a good indicator of the health of the retail sector which employs alot of people, contributes to the VAT take, corporation tax etc etc. in general, any individual or company making and spending money is exactly what will get this country out of recession
    and people will stop spending again when prices start to rise.

whitesands wrote: »
    1 person in Italy said we turned a corner :rolleyes:

yes, yes you're right. totally and completely. run along now...
    steve06 wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't buy that. I've seen company's client lists drop off over the last few years and where the companies have overheads or in most cases a board of directors that want their graphs to go in only 1 direction, the shortfall is placed back on remaining clients and masked as an advanced service offering or investment into r&d etc.

and people will stop spending again when prices start to rise.

on your first point i simply dont buy it. if i doubled the cost of my business to a client overnight they would simply go elsewhere. i dont know what kind of industry you're operating in but its either very corrupt or your clients are very stupid. certainly not a good analogy when dealing with a point as simple as rental for retail space.

on your second - rising prices do not nessesarily stop people spending. i mean you've heard of inflation? remember the boom? the whole point of an end to this resession is that people DO start spending and prices DO rise...thats how an economy works! as long as any increases are in line with what customers are willing to and able to pay there's no issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

im sick of hearing this bull****. This is just somebodys opinion and nothing more. until dole queues start to shorten and unemployment drops then not a damn thing has actually 'changed' in the economy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Let's say we see the glimmering of growth and an increase in GDP... It won't matter. Our current outgoings, to account for public spending and the bank bailouts, mean that we need massive growth to restore the public finances. An anaemic 1% growth rate (i.e. out of a recession), isn't nearly good enough. We'd still be screwed for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Fair play to Fianna Fáil. They've got my vote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement