Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FLIP HELMETS

• 13-10-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,was thinking on getting a flip up helmet,plain black with incorporated sun visor. Any suggestions/recommendations?Cheers in advance;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Hi guys,was thinking on getting a flip up helmet,plain black with incorporated sun visor. Any suggestions/recommendations?Cheers in advance;)
    Let me guess, you ride a Cruiser ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Let me guess, you ride a Cruiser ?
    A Fazer actually:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-trip/

Caberg Trip, i have one in matt black, also ride a fazer. The visor is very handy for when the sun peaks around the clouds, but it's not polarised, so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hughsie75

Nolans are pretty good too man.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n102ncom.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Carberg Justissimo, brilliant lid, very good quality feel to it, Schuberth are also nice but ridiculously expensive for what you get.

A word of warning, flip lids are by design very noisy, you'll want to wera earplugs (should anyway regardless of what type of lid you're wearing).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good: Caberg Konda (trip is discontinued)
    Better: Nolan N103 but some say these are noisy.
    Best: Schuberth. Big bucks but the quality is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

dont know if this is true but i heard a lot of these flip up lids have a problem with leakage under heavy rain conditions. ya might want to look into this first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Hughsie75 wrote: »
    Nolans are pretty good too man.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n102ncom.htm
    Oryx wrote: »
    Good: Caberg Konda (trip is discontinued)
    Better: Nolan N103 but some say these are noisy.
    Best: Schuberth. Big bucks but the quality is there.

I have the nolan N103, very good but it is a bit noisy. No problem with rain and the pinlock is perfect, I did get a tinted pinlock so when the sun is strong and low in the sky the dark visor and the shaded pinlock make it easy.

Best of luck with whatever you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

BMW system 6 is out there too. built in sun vizor. Very high spec, Built for BMW by Schuberth I think.

br7ian wrote: »
    dont know if this is true but i heard a lot of these flip up lids have a problem with leakage under heavy rain conditions. ya might want to look into this first :)

Not a problem on the Carberg, not on the Schuberth either, been using mine for over 3 years, mostly in the dry but it has been tested in the wet.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Not a problem on the Carberg, not on the Schuberth either, been using mine for over 3 years, mostly in the dry but it has been tested in the wet.

Yup, never an issue with my BMW system 5 either.
    Unless you have the visor open of course.

If your Schuberth is in an accident in the first three years of owning it, you can replace it at one third of the price. Which may be something useful for ya. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

I'm a big fan of the roof boxers
    Best lid for the riding I do
    doesn't leak either in rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm using a shark evoline absolute the past year or so with no complaints. Depending what size nut you have you might pick up something half price in cotters clearance of older helmets.

If your Schuberth is in an accident in the first three years of owning it, you can replace it at one third of the price. Which may be something useful for ya. :)

There are some quite stringent terms and conditions to that offer.

There are some quite stringent terms and conditions to that offer.
    Police reports etc, but still, it is offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I have the Shoei Multitec, brilliant lid, no sun viser.

with the whisper kit, very little wind noise, no more than a standard lid, and definitely doesn't leak!!

Police reports etc, but still, it is offered.

Ypu'd have a very difficult time getting that here so, apart from the fact the Police are only in NI ;), most non injury accidents aren't investigated by the gardai.

Ypu'd have a very difficult time getting that here so, apart from the fact the Police are only in NI ;), most non injury accidents aren't investigated by the gardai.

You would shill be obliged to report the accident to the gardai though(unless it was single vehicle, no injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

An Garda Síochána is the national police service of the Republic of Ireland. ...
    ;)

• Advertisement

bladespin, ya pedant, you know what I meant. I mentioned it cos its there, not to start a debate on police forces. The op can just add it to his sum of knowledge and decide if its a factor when buying a lid.

You would shill be obliged to report the accident to the gardai though(unless it was single vehicle, no injury)

A notification isn't a garda report, vast majority of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle, hopefully no injury.
    bladespin, ya pedant, you know what I meant. I mentioned it cos its there, not to start a debate on police forces. The op can just add it to his sum of knowledge and decide if its a factor when buying a lid.

Just pointing out that it's not as simple and straight forward as you might imagine.
    Personally I hate hearing an garda being referred to as police. ;) But yes I know what you meant.

TBH I'd be suprised if anyone actually avails of the offer and is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have a nolan n102, going to replace it soon with the newer model. Good lid. I tried it on in a shop (hein gericke) and got the size and bought it online here: www.fc-moto.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Personally I would not touch a flip up lid with a barge pole, they leak in water after a while, they also look stupid and in the case of a spill with it in the up position you may as well be using an open face.

Personally I would not touch a flip up lid with a barge pole, they leak in water after a while, they also look stupid and in the case of a spill with it in the up position you may as well be using an open face.

Mine doesn't leak, I've had it 3 years, they don't look anymore stupid than a full face, don't know too many who ride with it open (that's for petrol stations, cig breaks etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Here's why I don't wear flip front helmets.

P120710_1343.jpg

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Here's why I don't wear flip front helmets.

Don't get ya :confused: Side damage will affect all helmets the same, that damaged areas on that lid are no different to a flip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mine never leaked. They look the same as an ordinary helmet when closed. You leave it closed most of the time, buy its handy being able to open it. Nothing better than on a hot day being able to open it. Handy when getting petrol, or when you stop and want to talk. I'd never get a non flip up again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't get ya :confused: Side damage will affect all helmets the same, that damaged areas on that lid are no different to a flip.

Check the chin bar.

Goodbye face!

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Check the chin bar.

Goodbye face!

The chin bar on the flip would have done the same job, they're flip lids not open face.

Advertisement