Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FLIP HELMETS

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

bladespin wrote: »
    The chin bar on the flip would have done the same job, they're flip lids not open face.

Not if on one of our many scorching days (:D) you're riding with the front up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

KamiKazi wrote: »

Don't ride with the front up. Simples!
    I usually only put it up where I'm going slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Each to their own but have never seen anuone riding with the flip uo anywhere but in town, you'd be insane to ride at speed with it up IMO, Also the flip would act like a sail making it pretty uncomfortable above 30 mph.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Each to their own but have never seen anuone riding with the flip uo anywhere but in town, you'd be insane to ride at speed with it up IMO, Also the flip would act like a sail making it pretty uncomfortable above 30 mph.

I dunno, I seen loads of lads riding around with the front up when the weather is anyway decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't get ya :confused: Side damage will affect all helmets the same, that damaged areas on that lid are no different to a flip.

There is a worry that the catch on a flip helmet can be jarred loose or broke open on impact. Sharp test for this and quite a few of the helmets out there score really badly on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

HE0650EKAS-1.jpgCheers for all the replies guys,but took on board the shop owners opinion(when asked) about flips and he said" flip up helmets never were or never will be as good as a full face helmet". So heres what I went for in the end:D

Thinking about buying that exact lid in a week or so!

Get it in Cotters?

There is a worry that the catch on a flip helmet can be jarred loose or broke open on impact. Sharp test for this and quite a few of the helmets out there score really badly on it.

Dirty great big bolt holds it closed on mine, the rest of the helmet would fail before it'd let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Thinking about buying that exact lid in a week or so!

Get it in Cotters?
    No,im down the country.Got it in Baldricks,KK.

Dirty great big bolt holds it closed on mine, the rest of the helmet would fail before it'd let go.

Type, if you don't mind me asking.

There is also a argument against flip helmets because of the basic design. The area where the helmet meets the part that flips has to be reinforced across the width/thickness of the helmet(inside to outside). This also means that in a accident where the force is applied to that area, its ability to dissipate the energy across the surface and not directly towards the skull is impeded.

All depends on the helmet though. Same with Full face. Although in the reasonable price range(100-200) there are no flip helmets I would let on as a pillion.

• Advertisement

Type, if you don't mind me asking.

There is also a argument against flip helmets because of the basic design. The area where the helmet meets the part that flips has to be reinforced across the width/thickness of the helmet(inside to outside). This also means that in a accident where the force is applied to that area, its ability to dissipate the energy across the surface and not directly towards the skull is impeded.

All depends on the helmet though. Same with Full face. Although in the reasonable price range(100-200) there are no flip helmets I would let on as a pillion.

Carberg Justissimo.

TBH I hope to never test it's limits but the chin bar is strong, any energy would be dissapated outwards to the sides in a head on impact, the bolts can take the energy and the design suggests the bar itself would be up to it, bear in mind I don't race so any impact would be at real world speeds, there is a big difference between the design limit of the materials used and the forces that would be applied at say 60mph (bear in mind a frontal impact at that speed would more than likely break the neck anyway).

I've ridden bikes with all types of lid, I'll happily use an open face lid on the appropriate machine, a cruiser etc.
    On a sports bike I use the flip or full face without concern. I've been in my share of crashes and can't really visualise a scenario where I'd be taking the full force through the chin, I've slid down a track on the temple area of a helmet so I do understand what a lid should be capable of.

If they're good enough for this guy, they're good enough for me:

JWIE1777_$%7B03690571%7D.jpg.292061.jpg

Carberg Justissimo.

TBH I hope to never test it's limits but the chin bar is strong, any energy would be dissapated outwards to the sides in a head on impact, the bolts can take the energy and the design suggests the bar itself would be up to it, bear in mind I don't race so any impact would be at real world speeds, there is a big difference between the design limit of the materials used and the forces that would be applied at say 60mph (bear in mind a frontal impact at that speed would more than likely break the neck anyway).

I've ridden bikes with all types of lid, I'll happily use an open face lid on the appropriate machine, a cruiser etc.
    On a sports bike I use the flip or full face without concern. I've been in my share of crashes and can't really visualise a scenario where I'd be taking the full force through the chin, I've slid down a track on the temple area of a helmet so I do understand what a lid should be capable of.

It is a nice lid, stayed closed in 80% of impacts during sharp testing. Cheaper trip got 90%. BTW that isn't impacts to the chin bar. That's impacts to the helmet. It deforms which weakens every part of the locking system and causes it to pop. And in a free slide if you were unconscious and it pop'd open, bye bye facial skin.

I wear a full face mask for the same reason I wear full armoured gear. If it ever comes to a nasty crash I do not want skin grafts on any part of my body. Its the one part of medicine which is still horrible to do, horrible to look at and fraught with complications.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If they're good enough for this guy, they're good enough for me:

JWIE1777_$%7B03690571%7D.jpg.292061.jpg

How many road (or even track) racers wear flip front helmets?

They're not really a racer's helmet, more touring, you'll see lots of the goldwing brigade etc in them.

IIRC There were several side car outfits that used flips back in the day, not aware of any that do at the moment, again it's not really what they're made for.

Well, arai seems to be the most popular racing helmet. According to the Sharp website, the nolan n103 gets a rating as good (mostly better) as every arai but one.
    The way I see bike riding is that ok, yes safety is important, but so is enjoyment and practicality. I'm not going to put on full leathers every time I get on the bike.

So you both avoided answering the question you know the answer to is zero, despite the fact that you both made a point of putting up a pic of a guy on a sportsbike wearing full race leathers wearing a flip up helmet.

Nice one lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

How many professionals who drive motorbikes for a living wear flip front helmets?
    Its all down to rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

How many professionals who drive motorbikes for a living wear flip front helmets?
    Its all down to rating.

Not the Gardai.

They use full face helmets.

So you both avoided answering the question you know the answer to is zero, despite the fact that you both made a point of putting up a pic of a guy on a sportsbike wearing full race leathers wearing a flip up helmet.

Nice one lads.

We didn't answer because we assumed you knew. But you were wrong, it's actually 1 :P
    Schumacher uses it because he says he feels fresher going into a race.
    We know most racers use closed face helmets. They also use thick one piece leathers, titanium reinforced gloves, a back protector that costs more than my bike. Just because racers use certain equipment doesn't mean I'll copy them.

• Advertisement

Schumacher races bikes??

Schumacher races bikes??

He did it when he was out of F1 for a few years. Think it was.more for enjoyment than trying to be champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Mine never leaked. They look the same as an ordinary helmet when closed. You leave it closed most of the time, buy its handy being able to open it. Nothing better than on a hot day being able to open it. Handy when getting petrol, or when you stop and want to talk. I'd never get a non flip up again!

Im just accustomed to opening the double D's and take the damn thing off.

The only time I would even consider open face or flip would be on an old Brit bike or moped / scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

P.C. wrote: »
    Not the Gardai.

They use full face helmets.

That is odd though, Most UK forces use BMW flip Face, and the army EOH officers also wear them. So do the AA.
    I think with the GS its a supply chain thing rather than a safety judgement. After all, there is no difference in safety rating between a BMW system 5 or an Arai Quantum.

Nice one lads.

Hold on a minute, does the OP want to ride on the road or go racing? There's a fair difference in what a helmet needs to do in a racing crash compared to a road smash. Fact is they're more than up to the kind of impact you're likely to experience on the road, hitting a track at 150mph I'm not sure about (though the ACU have cleared them for racing).

I didn't avoid the question at all, fact is they're not designed for racing, they're heavier etc than the racing lids.

I didn't put up any pic, I ride sports bikes all the time with the flip, it doesn't suddenly explode the second I get on the blade, I trust it with my life, I ride on the road and want a helmet that suits that, that's why I use a flip.
    What does the type of bike a rider uses have to do with what type of lid he wears anyway?

Advertisement