Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From R.C. Church to C.O.I.

• 13-10-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

For last few years I have occassionally attended a local Church of Ireland church. I live on the same road as it, i.e. 100 yards away. I like going to the church and look forward to attending very much. Despite the genuinely friendly welcome I have always received I do not feel exactly 100% comfortable as I am not a member of their church. I was baptised and raised a Roman Catholic, went to Roman Catholic schools but I do not wish to remain a member of the church for many reasons which I will not bore readers about. None of my large family are religious in any way.

I have thought seriously about it over the last two years. My late grandmother was C.O.I. and from a very poor working class parish in Dublin city centre. At this stage I am recognisable to some of the regular attendees of the church and by their priest.

The church has a small active congregation and I get the feeling are welcome to new members to their flock but I suspect hesitant and wary of those who drop in and out like me, hence I would like to take the following step.

Can anybody provide me with pointers as to how I move from the R.C. church to this parish? I have only recently heard about the Declaration of Defection and have looked at the website countmeout.ie which is very informative. I am also aware of the moves taken by the R.C. church to deal with this on their terms. I fully realise the serious nature of this and have given it much thought but I feel it is something I want to explore.

I have search a few of the C.O.I. websites but cannot find any advice or information, perhaps they do not want to cause any upset to their fellow Christian churches.

Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

The possibility of formal defection from the Roman Catholic Church seems to be in some doubt at present, owing to recent amendments to Canon Law - see this post.

But you don't have to formally leave the RCC in order to join the COI. Also, what is meant by "joining"? If you want to attend services, then I'm sure that you will continue to be very welcome. If you want to take communion, then increasingly Anglican churches are prepared to allow any baptised Christian to receive communion, whether or not confirmed members of one of the member churches of the Anglican community. Speak to the priest in charge of your local COI church. Possibly he or she will say that, while the church does not object to occasional visitors from other Christian denominations taking communion on an ad hoc basis, more regular worshippers should be confirmed as members of the COI or another Anglican church. Look here for the current COI policy on confirmation - in particular the rather interestingly worded sentence "In the Church of Ireland, admission to Holy Communion has usually (my italics) presupposed confirmation."

What box you tick on the census or other forms is entirely a matter for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DW74

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for my choice of language when I say "join" not to be taken same context as if joining a club.

If I not a member of the church I think I would not have the proper status within to attend not as an outsider and take a full part in the parish activities or help in any way should I wish to do so in the future. I would like to attend on a more regular basis and get a great knowledge of the church's liturgy and its teachings. I have taken Holy Communion at the church perhaps I should not until I have spoken to the priest and talk it through with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I'm sure the pastor of this church would be more than happy to discuss you joining the fellowship there and all that that entails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

DW74 wrote: »

Can anybody provide me with pointers as to how I move from the R.C. church to this parish?
    Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

I don't want to focus on difference here but The central issue here is what you believe happens at the Mass. I ask the following based on you RC background and what yoyu claimed to believe in the past.

The Eucharist is central to both denominations. Do you believe in the doctrine of the real presence? Consubstantiation or transubstantiation? Secondly do you believe only a priest can perform consecration? third do you believe priests must be ordained by a Bishop? Do you believe only Bishops can ordain Bishops? Do you believe that today's bishops go in a line right back to the Apostles - apostolic succession ? Finally do you believe the CofI priest was validly ordained by a bishop with succession back to an Apostle?
    So if the priest isn't a valid priest then the Mass isn't valid then what are you attending?

Or have you rejected Apostolic succession and the Magesterium? In favor of what?

I might add that there can be valid but illicit ordination (from RC point of view) and the C of I can claim valid Apostolic succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Have a proper chat with the Rector, & if he's really good he will invite you round to the Rectory for tea & biscuits :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DW74

ISAW wrote: »
    I don't want to focus on difference here but The central issue here is what you believe happens at the Mass. I ask the following based on you RC background and what yoyu claimed to believe in the past.

The Eucharist is central to both denominations. Do you believe in the doctrine of the real presence? Consubstantiation or transubstantiation? Secondly do you believe only a priest can perform consecration? third do you believe priests must be ordained by a Bishop? Do you believe only Bishops can ordain Bishops? Do you believe that today's bishops go in a line right back to the Apostles - apostolic succession ? Finally do you believe the CofI priest was validly ordained by a bishop with succession back to an Apostle?
    So if the priest isn't a valid priest then the Mass isn't valid then what are you attending?

Or have you rejected Apostolic succession and the Magesterium? In favor of what?

I might add that there can be valid but illicit ordination (from RC point of view) and the C of I can claim valid Apostolic succession.

Hi ISAW,
    I assume you are relating my specific query to your beliefs as with the current Pope that the R.C. is the only one true church and that non R.C. churches are not churches at all. I recall the Pope stating this during 2009 which upset, I think the boards platform works best when if possible questions are answered by those who can oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seriously, if you want the best answer, go have a chat with the Rector of your new Church, I personally know several ex RCs who now attend COI Churches, I don't know what the arrangement is, but they seem very settled within their new surroundings.

Good luck & I hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Fair play OP.

There's a little bit of overlap between RC and COI. As far as know sacrments from the RC church are recognised by the COI. So if you want to transfer you make not need to make that formal at all.

We looked into getting married in COI and officially one of us had to be either COI or RC.

Good luck.

Advertisement