Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating in the Institute

• 13-10-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

So I'm basically going to repeat this year starting Monday in the Institute, people recommend it?

Anyway hoping to get an outline of help from people doing and people who have done the leaving cert,

Going to be doing,
    English, Business, German, Physics, Economics all higher and Maths at ordinary and hopefully taking up Agg Science.

I'm currently in college but arts is not the life for me, currently in second year and I didn't exactly do to well when i did the leaving.

People tell me the ABQ for business etc :) and hoping someone can tell me i'm putting in my 100% all so what kind of hours should i be looking to study per night and general motivation to keep my sanity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

I'll get the ball rolling with English

Hamlet is the single text shakespearean play for LC 2011. If you are doing Shakespeare as a comparative you have a choice between Hamlet and The Tempest. The vast majority will do Hamlet for the single text. You can make a start right now by reading the text online. You can also view Hamlet on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

My advice: You want Willy Murphy for Business, Keitho for Economics and Pat Doyle for Physics. That is if they're all still there, been a while since I was in the 'tute.

The other stuff? Someone else will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

I'm in 6th year in the Institute now, and was in 5th year there last year too. I love it, I find the atmosphere to be really motivational.

I do English, Business, Physics and ordinary Maths too. Try to get Paul McCormack for English Poetry and Hamlet, and Cathy Sweeney for Language and Comparative. We're doing Dancing at Lughnasa, Never Let Me Go and Billy Elliot for comparative.

Keith is a really good business teacher and most people prefer him for Economics too.

Pat Doyle is the only Physics teacher, and he's amazing. There's slow and fast paced Physics, the only difference really is that slow pace has 4 hours a week and fast pace has 3. All the same stuff is covered just a tiny bit slower in slow pace. I do fast pace but go to some slow pace classes as an extra sometimes, and there's also a tutorial on Wednesday afternoons which are worth going to, as he covers different types of questions from other books.

I do fast pace pass maths with Mark Lynch and I really like it.. he's a good teacher and the classes aren't too big. Most people go to Jean Kelly for normal pace and slow pace. Paddy Coakley's great if you find Maths really difficult, he does slow pace.

I've heard Orla Ni Shulliban or something is a brilliant German teacher.

Not sure about the rest, sorry! If you've got any more questions feel free to ask. One bit of advice, keep your notes organised as soon as you start because they will seriously pile up and get really disorganised.. also make sure to ask the teachers for notes they've already given out.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I went there a few years ago, Dennis Creaven was brilliant for Poetry..and Jean Kelly for Maths! I can't remember who else I had but most teachers should be good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP - You'll do well if you put in the work, like you will anywhere.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Saaron wrote: »
    I went there a few years ago, Dennis Creaven was brilliant for Poetry..and Jean Kelly for Maths! I can't remember who else I had but most teachers should be good :)

Creavan was insane.

Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Bowden wrote: »

Going to be doing,
    English, Business, German, Physics, Economics all higher and Maths at ordinary and hopefully taking up Agg Science.

I'm a 6th year there now.

English:
    Language: Cathy Sweeney is best, but her classes are full up by now. Jim Lusby is pretty good too.
    Hamlet: Since you haven't done it before (I assume) Cian Hogan is the only teacher who covers it. He is amazing! Patrick McCormack expects you to know it back to front by now and doesn't go through it again. But he is a great teacher if you've done Hamlet before.
    Poerty: I have Jim Lusby, he's way better for poetry.
    Comparative: Cathy Sweeney is fantastic. Try to get into her class.

Physics: Pat Doyle is the only 6th year teacher. He's brilliant. Slow pace is 4 hours a week but it's after school most days, around 5ish each day.

Maths: If you can handle fast pace, Mark Lynch does it and he is a brilliant teacher and doesn't mind staying back after class a bit if you need help. Jean Kelly does normal and slow paced classes and my friends say she is great.

Sorry, I don't do any of the other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm a 6th year there now.

English:
    Language: Cathy Sweeney is best, but her classes are full up by now. Jim Lusby is pretty good too.
    Hamlet: Since you haven't done it before (I assume) Cian Hogan is the only teacher who covers it. He is amazing! Patrick McCormack expects you to know it back to front by now and doesn't go through it again. But he is a great teacher if you've done Hamlet before.
    Poerty: I have Jim Lusby, he's way better for poetry.
    Comparative: Cathy Sweeney is fantastic. Try to get into her class.

Physics: Pat Doyle is the only 6th year teacher. He's brilliant. Slow pace is 4 hours a week but it's after school most days, around 5ish each day.

Maths: If you can handle fast pace, Mark Lynch does it and he is a brilliant teacher and doesn't mind staying back after class a bit if you need help. Jean Kelly does normal and slow paced classes and my friends say she is great.

Sorry, I don't do any of the other subjects.

He's called Paul McCormack.. and he has amazing summary notes, in my opinion theres no point wasting time reading the whole book when you'll get all the key points and quotes from the summary notes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mentallylc2011

Why is Wily Murphy soo famous for Business guys?? Is he really good!? im unfortunate to not be able to go to the Institute :( Wish i could :(

Advertisement