Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donard

Options
  • 13-10-2010 3:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to bring a group to Donard this Saturday and I'm just trying to find the best approach.

From Bloody Bridge seems to be the most straight-forward so it's the one I'm currently planning to take but I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some insight on it?

Got a map/route from here - http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Slieve-Donard-from-Bloody-Bridge-P15768).

What kind of time would I be looking at to go up and back taking this route (walking at a fairly steady pace with maybe 30 mins in there for a break etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

flogen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to bring a group to Donard this Saturday and I'm just trying to find the best approach.

From Bloody Bridge seems to be the most straight-forward so it's the one I'm currently planning to take but I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some insight on it?

Got a map/route from here - http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Slieve-Donard-from-Bloody-Bridge-P15768).

What kind of time would I be looking at to go up and back taking this route (walking at a fairly steady pace with maybe 30 mins in there for a break etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Been up from both Newcastle and Bloody Bridge. I think Newcastle is probably the most straightforward as there's a pretty obvious track to follow but the Bloody Bridge route is probably the more enjoyable (great views on arriving at the Mourne Wall at the Bog of Donard). Would be looking at 4-5 hours return from Bloody Bridge I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, from Bloody Bridge it's probably close to 2 x 5km or 10km in total, and you're on a steady climb all the way up from sea level to the top at 853m, so Naismith would say something like 2.5 hours up and just over an hour down based on an average normal walking speed of 4km/h and 30mins per 300m of climb. Add in a break at the top, and you're looking at 4.5 hours easy. If your group aren't too fit, the last slog up Donard along the wall will probably see a few people wheezing and panting, so it might take a bit longer :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

as other posters said at least five , views from Bloody Bridge on a clear day are amazing , tough enough walk though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks all - I'm hoping to be starting the walk by 11am at the latest so that should give us plenty of wiggle room to do it before we have to worry about the dark.

In terms of fitness we'd have a fair mix in there so I'm sure there'll be a few puffing and panting their way to the top - we did Lug last year and started up Camarahill, which was a fairly tough introduction to the walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks all - I'm hoping to be starting the walk by 11am at the latest so that should give us plenty of wiggle room to do it before we have to worry about the dark.

In terms of fitness we'd have a fair mix in there so I'm sure there'll be a few puffing and panting their way to the top - we did Lug last year and started up Camarahill, which was a fairly tough introduction to the walk!

By the way.. if going from Bloody Bridge, the climb proper doesn't really start until you reach the wall. This stretch is tough going and there are a number of false tops - the top proper has a watchtower which will come into view. The stile at the wall is a good spot for a break before you head up..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

paulocon wrote: »
    By the way.. if going from Bloody Bridge, the climb proper doesn't really start until you reach the wall. This stretch is tough going and there are a number of false tops - the top proper has a watchtower which will come into view. The stile at the wall is a good spot for a break before you head up..

Excellent, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've only ever done it from the car park in Newcastle & it is very straightforward - just follow the path up along the side of the river :) A bit slippy in places if it is wet as there is a lot of bare rock at the beginning.

Advertisement