Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight scan

Options
  • 13-10-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Quick question.
    My partner is due on Nov 28 but on are last visit at the midwife's clinic the midwife booked her in for a weight scan next thursday!

Is this anything to be alarmed buy she also commented on the fact that my partner was small or as the girls in work call her neat! :)

Any info would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't worry. I had one of those scans at 38 weeks on my first, they were worried baby was small for the dates that I had. Truth is they can't really tell the weight of the baby by the bump so they need to do a scan to make sure everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Don't worry. I had one of those scans at 38 weeks on my first, they were worried baby was small for the dates that I had. Truth is they can't really tell the weight of the baby by the bump so they need to do a scan to make sure everything is ok.

So are they second guessing there original date's? We had two scans at 21 weeks and 23 weeks to double check the due date because i think in the coombe they do one quite early.... Just a little freaked buy it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, i don't think at this late stage they can change the dates by that much anyway. Basically at my 38 week scan they said that they thought that my bump was very small and when they measured my womb with the measuring tape it was small too, so they booked the scan to make sure baby was still growing and that everything was ok in there. They told me at that scan that they estimated the baby weighed about 7lbs, she was born weighing 6lbs.

Try not to worry, I remember they didn't even tell me what the scan was for until afterwards (I was in the Rotunda on my first), but it was the secretary booking the scan that said it to me and had me worrying for the 3 days between the appointment at the scan. I was terrified there was something wrong with my baby, but everything turned out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

when i was having my daughter they told me that she would be at least as big as my on if not bigger. Son was 8lbs 6oz and daughter was 7lbs 6ozs, I do not think they can tell very well. just be careful that they do not push her to a cs or induction because of weight, there is no reason to and you should read The Better Birth Book by Tracy Donegan for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My first they said i would have an average baby, around 7lb she was 9lb 1 oz and 1 week early. my friend at the same time was told she was having a big baby he was 8lb 8oz.

my second guy was to be over 10 lb but he was born 5 weeks early at 7lb 6oz.

3rd guy was 8lb 15 and 1 week early at eh same time my daughter teacher was pregnant and she was scaned and told seh was having a small baby he was born full term and weighed 4lb 9oz. his 3 now nearly 4 and you coudnt tell the differnce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement