Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quorn Chicken pieces.

Options
  • 13-10-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I ususally don't eat meat subs, but my helpful mother recently bought me quorn mince/chicken pieces. I use th mince in lasagne/cottage pie but am at a lost as to what to do with the chicken.

I tried it in stir fry, but found it lacking. don't want to waste it but not a clue how to eat it.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can put it ina korma, I like doing that.
    Perhaps put it in a a pie with a sauce, mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I personally think it's absolutely horrible. Anyone know of any nice quorn products? Or are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I personally think it's absolutely horrible. Anyone know of any nice quorn products? Or are they all the same?
    Their Swedish Style Meatballls are magic in a spicy bolognese

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you could try them with a gravy. and roast spuds. mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I'm allergic to the stuff. Mold allergy.

Sick as a dog every time I've ate it.

Originally found in a soil sample I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I'm not overly keen on the chicken pieces so I always have them in a sauce.

Try a strong tasting curry style one like thai green curry, jalfrezi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'd imagine eating them without a sauce would be difficult. They work well in a curry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

The chicken's not bad in a casserole. The important thing to remember about quorn, and it says it on the packet, is that it's not intended to be eaten by itself. It's only a passable meat substitute when drenched in sauce, especially strong tasting sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Had them last week and was quite disappointed. The quorn "breaded-chicken" stuff is delish though, if you fancy making a burger style dinner. Bit o' camembert, rocket and cranberry sauce and you're in for a good night. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lia_lia wrote: »

the hot n spicy bitess things, they are chicken nuggets but way nicer than real ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

actually like the taste of the chicken pieces and often have them in a salad or as part of an ommlette. Fry them with spices if you're not crazy about the taste but i think its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I'm not a big fan of the pieces. Like little bits of sponge, but they prove handy for enchiladas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

They're nice in a stir fry if you marinade them beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I think they're great in curries and soups (or chicken stew/casserole). I use them in a yummy veggie paella I make too.
    Once you have a decent sauce they add a bit of bulk & texture to your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

captain P wrote: »
    I think they're great in curries and soups (or chicken stew/casserole). I use them in a yummy veggie paella I make too.
    Once you have a decent sauce they add a bit of bulk & texture to your food.

Can you share the recipe for the veggie paella? I've been looking for a while, but never found a decent one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The chicken pieces are best in a fried or roasted dish. If they're not seared, then they're effectively just warmed up and they're a bit bland then.

Not a fan of the meatballs myself. The quarter pounders and spicy chicken burgers are my favourites I think.

In tesco you also also get fajita strips - which are effectively just long pieces of the chicken bits with a bit of flavouring and spice on them. Very tasty in tacos and wraps.

Anyone know why Cauldron have changed their tofu? It used to be a block of semi-solid tofu which was easy to cook, but now you have a block twice the size that's just one step away from being cheese spread and it's much harder to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

seamus wrote: »

Anyone know why Cauldron have changed their tofu? It used to be a block of semi-solid tofu which was easy to cook, but now you have a block twice the size that's just one step away from being cheese spread and it's much harder to work with.

Switched from being produced in the UK, to being produced in USA. The old 'cardboard' boxes with the thin sleeve were so much nicer. It's just mush now.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Shenshen wrote: »
    Can you share the recipe for the veggie paella? I've been looking for a while, but never found a decent one yet.

I originally got the recipe from a Marks & Spencer "one pot" cookbook, and then adapted it to my own taste (partly because I've never been bothered buying saffron and use paprika for a little bit of spice....:eek:)!

Ingredients (serves about 6): Olive oil, 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 red pepper sliced (any pepper will do really), one aubergine cubed, 200g paella rice, teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1 pint veg stock, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, some button mushrooms and green beans.

Heat the oil & fry the onion & garlic until soft, add the aubergine & peppers and cook for about 5 mins stirring often (I usually throw in a handful of Quorn chicken pieces at this stage too).
    Add the rice & cook stirring for about a minute until its coated and then add the stock & tomatoes, paprika (depending on taste) and some salt & pepper.
    Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 mins, stirring now & then.
    Add in the mushrooms & green beans & cook for another 10 mins or until all the liquid is soaked up!

It may not be a perfect traditional paella as such but I like it & it has gone down well with friends too :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I'm a big fan of the chicken pieces, but like most others I usually drown them in a curry sauce or fry them with Mexican spices for fajitas or enchiladas (lol I don't even know the difference between those)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Buy any jar of sauce that's designed for chicken dishes. Sweet and sour, curry, korma or tikka masala to mention a few. Most of them, although aimed at meat eaters, are suitable for vegetarians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Switched from being produced in the UK, to being produced in USA. The old 'cardboard' boxes with the thin sleeve were so much nicer. It's just mush now.

their tofu pieces are still nice though, even if they are full of salt and expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Can put it ina korma, I like doing that.
    Perhaps put it in a a pie with a sauce, mmm.
    Lornen wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the pieces. Like little bits of sponge, but they prove handy for enchiladas.

Same :)

They're not the best on their own, and definitely need something to give them a bit of a kick. Curries, fajitas, enchiladas etc., I find they work well with. Tbh its all about the sauces and other veg you add to them, I pile in peppers, lettuce, onion, whatever I can get my hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

They make for a good chicken sub in a chicken and stuffing sandwich with mayo on brown bread. Nyom, nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Im not a vegetarian but my girlfriend is and I have the quorn chicken pieces at least two days a week with her to make cooking easier (easier for me not to eat meat).

We have them in two dinners. The first as mentioned above is fajitas. Lovely when fried and a bit of fajitas mix added in, into a wrap with plenty of salad, coleslaw, cour cream, salsa and cheese.

Second is a chicken stir fry. Fry the chicken pieces till slightly brown in a garlic and ginger crush with small bit of olive oil. Then add whatever veg you wish (normally carrots, mushroom and brocolli),then some onion and pineapple in and then a sauce (we use pineapple juice (leftover from pineapples in stir fry) with a table spoon of soya sauce and some corn flour to thicken). Very tasty dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

HelenT wrote: »
    They make for a good chicken sub in a chicken and stuffing sandwich with mayo on brown bread. Nyom, nyom.

Agree 100%.

I fry them with chopped mushroom and onions, add some cooked noodles (the last minute of frying) and soy sauce = yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Try the fajitas recipe on the packet itself - very tasty and very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sevi

I fry them in olive oil and add balsamic vinegar, then mix them in with pasta and pesto sauce with fried mushrooms mmm....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I have to say, I really love them! Have them in so much!

For a light lunch, I fry them in olive oil. Chop up lettuce, feta and red pesto, mix all four together, pop in a wrap...amazing! Same thing minus lettuce and plus pasta is yum too!

Love them in enchiladas or fajitas too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm not a veggie, but my daughter is a meat-missing veggie, and she had a craving today for a chicken sandwich. I had Quorn chicken-style pieces in the freezer, which I usually just use for curry.

I fried them for about 4-5 minutes, then put them in a saucepan and covered with vegetable stock, and simmered for about 15 minutes. We let it cool and then drained off the stock, and she had it with mayo in a white bread roll. "Best. Sandwich. Ever!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Sounds delicious :D

Advertisement