Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im A Bad Drunk!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ah, there's your problem, too small a sample size. To be properly sure, you'd need to spend twenty nights on each, and make sure you can't tell what you're drinking at any point. If you then have an arrest record that matches the Smirnoff purchases on your bank statements, I'll believe you. Oh, and you'll need to do it with a few other people at the same time - thirty or so should do it.

*Please note: don't do this. In fact, avoid any research where a positive correlation involves repeated vomiting, arrests, or assaults.

I've been drunk almost every night for the past year.
    It's not something to brag about, but do not question me about what I can and cannot handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Spirits in general.

Note: they don't make you messy; you make yourself messy by drinking too much of them,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

So you think certain drinks make you act unlike yourself?

The fact is though, all the booze contained in every alcoholic drink is pretty much the same stuff - whether its lager, stout, wine, vodka, cider, whiskey, tequila, whatever - in simple terms, its really just ethanol with some flavourings. Alcohol is alcohol...

But how come we're all familiar with the reputation of certain drinks? For example, you'd probably expect that alcohol - particularly whiskey or strong lager - increases testosterone levels in men, right? Wrong. All types of booze make a lad's testosterone levels drop. After a big session you might only have half the testosterone you started with and it could be three days before you get it back up there, so to speak.
    So why can personal experience tell you that some drinks affect you differently? One theory is that if you expect to react in a certain way to a certain drink, you probably will.

Several studies have been done where volunteers are given free booze if they take part in a study on the effects of alcohol, but half are given alcohol-free substitutes. Sneaky tricks like rubbing some alcohol around the rim of the glass helped to dupe the volunteers into thinking they were drinking the real deal. The researchers weren't being tight, this was the point of the experiment. And you'll never guess what happened. About 80% of the 'sober' volunteers who thought they were on the lash for free, started acting like they were drunk. They were talking louder, staggering about, feeling dizzy, slurring their speech, tripping up - yet they all would have passed a breathalyser test.

If you still think that certain drinks make you act unlike yourself, maybe it's not the drink but how and how much you're drinking.

This is unmitigated bollox!

Yes, alcohol reduces your testosterone levels (most when you're hungover, not during) but beer acts as a natural oestrogen so reduces testosterone while your drinking it. This is why it makes people mellow, people feel like they can relax with a beer (also why it can make women's breasts grow...).

Anyone who thinks all alcohols have the same effect clearly has no clue. Take a bottle of Buckfast and a bottle of red wine. Both have the same base but Buckfast has a lot of caffeine (plus some other stuff) with the result that with Buckfast you'd still be up going bananas while with the wine you be on the floor snoring. Same effect with red bull/energy drinks.

I have witnessed, on multiple occasions, individuals who are happy drunks start balling their eyes out for hours after drinking gin (not a huge amount of it either). I can drink a bottle of whiskey over a night and be fine, if I had a bottle of vodka, I would blackout half the night, make an ass of myself and pass out on someone's couch/hedges etc.....

I could go on but I won't, different drinks do have different effects, any experienced drinker knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yea, i completely disagree with the alcohol is alcohol brigade. I personally can drink beer till it comes out my ears and be happy as a pig in ****, spirits in general cause me to blackout and i'm not talking falling down quantities either, 2 or 3 vodkas and i'll likely forget where i've been that night, 2 or 3 blue or black label vodkas and i think i'm Mike Tyson. Different drinks totally have different efffects.
    Also what the hell is cachaca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I think I speak for a lot of people when I saw tequila or sambucca.....and maybe vodka.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    This is unmitigated bollox!

Yes, alcohol reduces your testosterone levels (most when your hungover, not during) but beer acts as a natural oestrogen so reduces testosterone while your drinking it. This is why it makes people mellow, people feel like they can relax with a beer (also why it can make women's breasts grow...).

Wtf LOL. Never knew this, explains a lot. :D

Wtf is cachaca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

steve06 wrote: »
    Vodka makes me crazy, and I never remember the night when I drink it.

I've always said it, men cannot handle the vodka! Then women cannot handle buckfast...worst drink I have ever had in my life and one of the worst possible hangover too lasted days! Never again, but wouldn't say no to a vodka cocktail or vodka and red bull! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The only time that I am serious bad drunk is:

When I stumble and fall or trip;
    When I become giddy and laugh at anything;
    When I talk sh1te;
    When I do stupid things;
    When I kiss a frog(s);
    When I dance sometimes;
    When I collapse on the floor with tiredness;
    I’m a messy drunk but happily hammered just to enjoy the buzz!
    Wine makes me a very messy drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Could drink a bottle of Bacardi or Smirnoff with mixer at a party and be clear as a bell the next day. If i drank 5 pints of beer i'd spend the next day in bed dying of a hangover. Always been that way with me.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Worked as a bouncer for long enough in London, and its just a question of finding and avoiding the brew that brings out your inner cnut. But there has to be an inner cnut to be brought out in the first place. Lots of people dont have one, but lots do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've dubbed Buckfast as a bottle of bad news. Nights tend to be crazy when I've been drinking that.
    Commotion Lotion is how I describe it. :pac:

They say gin makes you depressed but i've had some of the best nights on a bottle of gin. Horses for courses and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some say alcohol is alcohol and some say they go mad on some drinks.
    Realy, the answer is somewhere in the middle.
    Some drinks have caffeine which will obviously have an effect.

Drank gin once, just once.
    Sure even working as a barman I hated the smell of it.
    And was in tears after several drinks :(
    Several others on the thread have had similar experiences, there is something to it

I do believe people get aggressive with whiskey, watched it many times, did it myself so no longer touch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Irish or scotch whiskey turns me in to a raving lunatic liable to do anything and everything. It's about the only alcohol which blacks me out too.

I've a mate who can't drink cider without becoming a comlete c*nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

[Drunk post]
    I tend to drink 5 (8 tonight) cans of Inchs stone house cider each night and every night that being 7 days a week for the last few years. Cant say I'm a bad drunk though, I tend to waffle out all those things herself would be nattering on about with the odd Ahem, Mmm, yep, ok from my drunken boloxed body and mind just to keep from getting grief.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'm a great drunk. Up in 4 hours and I'm wasting time on here. What better kind of druk is there?

Exactly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ear

whiskey is just a bad buachaill. im half way down the bottle at the min...had 15 miller prior..what will i do afgter the bottle... prob vomit and cry

snip*

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

ear wrote: »
    whiskey is just a bad buachaill. im half way down the bottle at the min...had 15 miller prior..what will i do afgter the bottle... prob vomit and cry

That's your problem there!

So you don't drink man beer?

Apologies if your a woman!:pac:

Advertisement