Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shattered

• 13-10-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else wrecked? Sorry for the rant now but I'm young, fit and healthy but know I won't be able to keep up this rate of work for another year and two thirds! Jeez! I'm falling asleep at my desk come nine of clock. I'm adamant I will get the points I want, need and know I deserve but at what cost?! It seems constant study needed in order to do this. I'm getting exercise three times a week and eat really well but am just so wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

You're in fifth year. Calm down. By the sound of things you're studying the amount of a sixth year in June. Not necessary and probably detrimental to yourself. Relax you have a ridiculous amount of time left. How can can you even done enough of any courses to study that much? You'll be fine. Wait till sixth year to stress out at least or you'll have a heart attack before next september

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Exercise? pssshhhhawwww...

Go home, eat, study, eat, eat while watching tv, drink some coke/water, brush your teeth, eat, brush your teeth again, sleep.

Thats what you do in 5th year, not EXERCISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Go home, eat, study, eat, eat while watching tv, drink some coke/water, brush your teeth, eat, brush your teeth again, sleep.

Bad advice. Keep up with the exercise and maybe do a bit more if possible. When i was in 5th year i was exercising 6 times a week and always had the energy for study. It helps focus your mind and 'de-stress' at the same time. Good luck and remember: everything in moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I see what you are saying Ruadhan but I don't merely study what is taught to me in school, I'm partaking in LC grinds in my languages this year so ensure my A, hopefully! Also, I go ahead a fair bit.
    I would have thought exercise was super important, I'd look terrible without it and want to look fit and healthy, not to mention I'd be a complete stress-bag! Ah roll on June 2012 and a life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I am dying as well. We haven't had any days off since September (all my friends have had a long weekend or a Wednesday off :(). The school day is hard enough, and then I have to come back to study until like 9. I get a fair amount of sleep in Chemistry though:cool: The more I listen to that teacher the less I understand it, so I've just given up on her completely and if I need help I'll just ask the other teacher. I'm doing a lot more sport than I've ever done ever, as I've finally found one I like, so depending on whats on with it I'd do between 3 and 11 hours a week (its all on the same day, sometimes there are trips, mostly its about 3). Its about the only social life I have so life would be fairly **** without it. Roll on mid term!!

I have just looked at the clock. I've been telling myself 5 more minutes till I go upstairs since 6! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wouldn't follow this advice, being honest.

You don't have to overtax yourself in 5th year, I know I didn't. Just keep up with the work, make sure your homework is done to the best of your ability (none of this doing the questions half-heartedly in form class, etc.), avoid drinks like Coke as they make you crash because of the sugar (in theory this is good advice, but I didn't follow it myself *guilty*).

Brushing your teeth is fine :p

I would recommend exercise. Sitting at a desk all day is mentally tiring, and you may feel so tired after it, but it's not physically tiring and thus you won't be getting great sleeps - do you ever wake up and still feel tired? Ever get 8 hours sleep but by 10am it feels like you underslept by about 3 hourrs?

Exercise should help this. It doesn't need to be strenuous. I used to cycle 40km on Monday, 20km on Wednesday and then a longer one, anywhere between 40-60km on Saturdays. Obviously, this is just an example - cycling is no more beneficial than any other type of exercise. Even walking the dog is great for clearing the mind, if you have a dog that is!

Exercise can be time consuming though, a small amount every day is better than a large amount occasionally. Drinking water will make you feel less tired. Forget about coffee, it actually has the opposite effect - you may feel perked up at first, but you will be worse afterwards. Try drinking a pint of water before school in the morning and you will no doubt feel the difference.

But again, you're only in 5th year. Don't do too much or you will burn out. You should reach your peak at the end of May 2012 / start of June 2012 - not by your 5th year Xmas exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I know how you feel. I'm in 5th year and I can barely keep my eyes open writing this.. I don't even get time to do much study or exercise :(.. I play music and appartently I'm not practicing that enough. Oh I feel like dying. Roll on midterm is what i say!!

Advertisement