Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Range rover

• 13-10-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭

Was thinking of buying a series 3 land rover and then seen this, any suggestions, they look like a decent lump of a machine, cheap tax, and still has rear seats, and no doe or nct either.Anyone know where theres anymore of these for sale Pre 1981 obviously for sale. Rang this guy up asns he's looking for 3500...bit steep i think???

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1613953

Ps...... im offloading a 98 trooper(3.1) at a keen price. PM me if interested.:)

DD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

Not too sure but I thought 1971 Range Rovers were 2 door, I would check the vin number on the chassis to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Unless it's a later body on an earlier chassis there's no way that's 1971. Even if it was on an early chassis I doubt if it's 1971, Range Rover came out in 1970 and production didn't really get into it's stride until 1972, four doors didn't appear until much later.

It's had a jap engine put in it which could be well done or a total bodge, diesels weren't fitted until the 80s and then only 2.4l. 5 speed box wouldn't be 70s either.

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole even for 1500

There are one or two well done conversions of four door bodies on earlier chassis but there are also a lot of dodgy ringers. Corrosion of the internal steel body structure is also a problem, especially when BL were using crap steel in the late 70s/early 80s.

Proper good original 70s V8 Range Rovers are now rare and hold a premium.

It's a shame the tax regime is so punitive because the last (1994) of the soft dash 200Tdis are a very nice vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

where would i be looking for the vin number. is it under the front drviers wheel arch??

RE: the engine conversion. yep he told me on the phone that it was original a V8 but converted to a mitsubishi 3.0 diesel. any other checks to do besides test driving it and having a good hoke around underneath....

what about the 4X4 on these, did it ever give much trouble.....

The vin plate will be on the bonnet slam panel in front of the rad. If you can find the chassis stamped number it will be on the RH chassis rail just behind the bumper mountings

Pre 79 the vin will start 355, 356 or 359
    Post 79, a 2 door will be SALLHAB, 4 door (introduced in 81) SALLHAM

Test driving the diesel is the same as any other, smoke, overheating etc. What would be important is the neatness of the conversion, tidy wiring and hoses, neat welding on the exhaust etc. Body wise, check the inner wings, rear wings inside the doors, the boot floor and the tailgate, they may be skinned in ally but the frame is steel

Range Rovers are proper permanent 4x4. If it's a 5 speed (prior to 1983 they were 4 speed) it's most likely an LT77 main box with LT230 transfer box with a centre diff lock. They are pretty robust but early ones suffered from mainshaft wear, you don't want to feel or hear any clunks taking up drive. Post 88 ones have a Borg Warner Tbox with chain drive and a VCU (no diff lock needed) and are pretty trouble free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

great info. thanks sean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There was a trend in the 80's and early 90's to rebody old Range Rovers with modern (of the time) 4 door vogue bodies and new ish running gear.

The ruse was base on Benefit in Kind tax on motor vehicles being based on the price of the vehicle when new (£3500 ish for an early 1970 model) and the cost of refurbishment was written off a repairs (tax free). So you could have a very nice motor whilst paying very little BIK, as long as number plates didn't bother you.

You will also see some Discovery's with very old registrations. Same chassis on RR and Disco of that era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

The gearbox could be an LT85 also, which are practically bombproof.

That's a late body for sure, 'hard dash' interior etc. Looks like it has an anti-roll bar on the rear too, which certainly wasn't 70's spec.

Would be very careful to check the chassis number on that one if I were you. Any signs of tampering and you'd be best advised to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Looking at the side on photo, there is a fair dip to the nose, which is evident on the front on shot also, now it may well be because it is parked on uneven ground, but I would check all the wheel / whee arch heights on a flat surface. If it is a body / engine / chassis mash up, it needs to have been done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

twofish101 wrote: »
    Not too sure but I thought 1971 Range Rovers were 2 door, I would check the vin number on the chassis to be sure.

that's a ringer using the vin and paltes off a 70s one to avoid vrt, nct and tax, loads of them done like that. I'd bet money that it hasnt actually be rebodied/ reshalled (which is legal on old separate chassis stuff), and is only done for tax/test avoidance reasons. You can see by the body that it's not actually an early one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    that's a ringer using the vin and paltes off a 70s one to avoid vrt, nct and tax, loads of them done like that. I'd bet money that it hasnt actually be rebodied/ reshalled (which is legal on old separate chassis stuff), and is only done for tax/test avoidance reasons. You can see by the body that it's not actually an early one
    Check your facts properly before you make such a comment about an early or late shell being fitted to an early chassis. In actual fact its possible also to fit a Discovery 1 shell to an early Range Rover chassis and it has also been done .

• Advertisement

Probably best we don't comment any further on this until the OP reports back, I think he has enough info now to spot a ringer or a proper body/drivetrain swap.

Advertisement