Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan Jelinek

Options
  • 13-10-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Can't remember if I have posted this here already, but sure what the heck, it's worth a second listen anyway :rolleyes:

Bloody brilliant stuff. Reminds me a bit of Markus Popp's Oval and Microstoria minimal/glitch projects but still retains its own identity I think. Anybody else listen to him much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Love Loop-finding Jazz records, and also the album he did with the Australian jazz group Triosk, 1+3+1. I wasn't as keen on La Nouvelle Pauvrete and I haven't heard anything he's done recently. Is he still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah he released a new album this year with Masayoshi Fujita, who plays prepared vibraphone on it. It's really nice, but quite minimal and ambient. Reminds me a bit of Alva Noto's collaborations with Ryuichi Sakamoto actually.

Must check that out. Listening to this again now.

And no forgetting his alias Farben

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The only two albums I have are 'Loop Finding...' & the one he did this year with Masayoshi Fujita, both great but the first is a huge favourite for me. Must grab some more by him, think when I went looking before they weren't the easiest to come by.

Must look into that one with Triosk, have their album 'The Headlight Serenade' which I love too.

The 'Scape' label is great actually, was listening again recently to the 3 x Pole albums that came out in a box set a couple of years ago, really excellent stuff and not unlike Loop Finding Jazz Records.

• Advertisement

Do you dj any of this stuff in Dublin ScubaDevils? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

This is pretty nice stuff alright. Pole is an obvious reference point (particularly the "R" album), Oval too - though what I've heard of the latter is far darker and more intense.

I like the "breathing" effect on the Farben track. It comes perilously close to wallpaper when it gets going, though.

What's wrong with wallpaper?? :P

Daddio wrote: »
    Do you dj any of this stuff in Dublin ScubaDevils? ;)

Haha... well I don't DJ anymore, but at this stage in life I'd probably be more at home spinning some Jan Jelinek than techno. Well, maybe not actually :pac:

While I think of it actually, has anyone bought that new Oval album yet? - Opinions? Haven't yet myself, not quite as trigger-happy these days with the online shopping.

Ah, that's a shame. Wouldn't it be great to go to a nice bar, have a couple of fine beers, and listen to the Basic Channel on a good sound system? /sigh...

Haven't bought the new Oval yet, although I was just talking to a guy who's putting on an Oval/Phonophani gig this Thursday here in Amsterdam, which I will definitely be attending :)

• Advertisement

It would be great to have such a place - maybe they exist, haven't heard of one - but the idea of having a few beers, coffee or whatever to some nice dub techno, glitch, IDM etc sounds nice.

Do you live in Amsterdam? Love it there, I'm over there about every three months for work and always make a point of allowing a couple of hours to browse Concerto - would feckin love to have that place in Dublin!

Moved here about 6 weeks ago, and really enjoying it. Concerto is great! I was doing a bit of work in the area a few weeks ago, most mornings if I was early I dropped in for a browse. There's another great Concerto in Utrecht too, if you ever find yourself down there. There were a few other really good record shops but I think sadly it's a similar story to Dublin - a few of them have closed down. http://www.rushhour.nl/ is quite good though, near enough to Centraal. Bought some nice Moritz Von Oswald vinyl there :cool:

I can only imagine the financial impact if I had Concerto on my doorstep! - It really is the sort of place you can spend hours in, between the various sections of new music and the 2nd hand downstairs, love it.

Yeah been in Rush Hour once, took bloody ages to find it - good shop alright... the day I was in there was for a specific CD I was after and didn't have enough cash for vinyl so didn't even browse.

Advertisement