Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefect plan for school.

• 13-10-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im a 6th year student.

My school never had the whole prefect or head boy/girl thing.

Anyway my school principal was talking about it to me and asked my to try to think of a way to organize a prefect system in the school.
    How to choose the people , what they should do and stuff like that?

If you had one in your school then what way did it work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

If your in 6th Year honestly I'd say concentrate on your work for the year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

In our school you fill in an application form at the end of 5th year (only if you want to be a prefect). The form is basically 'Best Achievement during you time at school', 'Why you want to become a prefect' etc. Then all the teachers have a meeting and go though each form and make a shortlist and then they discuss each person and get the final list. It's pretty tough to get but I got it..! :)

Our duties include:
    Being a prefect to a junior class
    Lunch duty every few weeks
    Ensuring all students are happy
    Generally making sure no students are acting up in the hallway
    Getting the students (usually 1st years) to move in from the middle of the corridor..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    In our school you fill in an application form at the end of 5th year (only if you want to be a prefect). The form is basically 'Best Achievement during you time at school', 'Why you want to become a prefect' etc. Then all the teachers have a meeting and go though each form and make a shortlist and then they discuss each person and get the final list. It's pretty tough to get but I got it..! :)

Our duties include:
    Being a prefect to a junior class
    Lunch duty every few weeks
    Ensuring all students are happy
    Generally making sure no students are acting up in the hallway
    Getting the students (usually 1st years) to move in from the middle of the corridor..

Thanks,
    Do you think that this makes a difference in your school on behavior?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

We don't have any in our school but I really don't see the point in being a 'prefect' in sixth year. I'd prefer to concentrate on exams tbh rather than worrying about the first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Digits wrote: »
    We don't have any in our school but I really don't see the point in being a 'prefect' in sixth year. I'd prefer to concentrate on exams tbh rather than worrying about the first years.

Its not like studying is the only things that you are going to be doing during your leaving cert. You still have to do other things. I dont see any point in not doing some thing just because it is the leaving cert year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

In my school the teachers nominated a list of suitable candidates in 5th year. The students then chose the prefects. Then, in 6th year the prefects chose the head prefect. Their duties were basically doing favours for the principal and VP. Also they go funerals and stuff. They got brought out to dinner every term for a 3 course meal the lucky bastards. Oh and the head prefect makes the speeches at graduation mass and for the new first years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Thanks,

Most juniors do what they're told but there was one case of third years who didn't listen to a word we said (they were insisting on not letting anyone pass in the hallway and instead looked and laughed when we asked them to move. they are mainly daddy's girls who have never been told what to do in their life!). It was reported to the teachers on lunch duty on the third day of it happening. They spoke to them but it didn't stop. Next it went to the prefect head (our year head is over the prefects) who said it to the third year head. Nothing happened again (well they were told to stop but didn't). Our head was then told again who went to the vice principal. I don't know what happened (;)) But they haven't sat in the said place since..! :P

Still get a few dirty looks//sniggers from them in the hallway but I'm just glad they didn't see us as pushovers..

Ha sorry for my rant but when we were that age (all them years ago :D) we would have listened to everything a prefect said. Wasn't long ago but things have so changed..! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Hi,
    Im a 6th year student.

My school never had the whole prefect or head boy/girl thing.

Anyway my school principal was talking about it to me and asked my to try to think of a way to organize a prefect system in the school.
    How to choose the people , what they should do and stuff like that?

If you had one in your school then what way did it work?

Thanks

I was a prefect last year and it was honestly one of the best things i've ever done, I loved it! It was a big deal in my school, we had to submit a letter detailing why we thought we would be a good prefect, what was involved etc. We went to a group interview and then all of the teachers discussed us, our personalities and things like that and chose who they wanted.

We had two prefects for every class and through out the year we organised big and small events, fundraised and got to know the classes we were given. I had lunch with the class once every two or three weeks and we did a lot of things together, like a talent show, ceilí, sports day and tons more. We also had a meeting every week with just prefects and our teacher thinking of new things to do and discussing problems.
    Thanks,

I had a class of first years and having a prefect really helped them in school, it's amazing how much they need you! That's what made it worth while really :)
    Behaviour wise, we were there to help and while we did have to keep our class under control, we wern't teachers and were not there to boss people around so because of that we were respected and people's behaviour around us was fine.
    Digits wrote: »

While it was a lot of work, personally I wouldn't use this as an excuse not to become a prefect. I thought it was really useful to have time to relax and not think about the exams for a few hours every week. I did spend a lot of time being a prefect and still managed to get all of my work done and come out with the points I wanted.

Advertisement