Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

effects of evaporation on spirits (if any)

Options
  • 13-10-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I was in an airport a month or two ago and saw a 1200pound (or more, not 100% sure) bottle of liquer/spirits on display. It appeared to have some condensation on the inside of the bottle neck, probably as a result of the strong lighting above it. Would this have any effect on the booze inside the bottle?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's nothing coming into the bottle and nothing going out, so I don't see how it would. The strong lighting would be more of a worry, depending on the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I know has happened in bottles of whisk(e)y. If the bottle you are refering to has been on display in the condition that you have mentioned for a considerable amount of time there is the possiblity of evapouration from the bottle. However it is totally dependant on how well the bottle is sealed. I have had the pleasure of coming across some old bottle of whiskies and most suffer from some sort of evapouration. A cork sealed bottle allows some movement as do really cheap screw caps. However it really has to be taken into context ... most corks do their job very well and even a very porous cork will take many years for a bottle to lose a significant amount of whiskey (i.e. to shoulder level). I would not overly worry about the condensation leading to major evapouration to be quite honest.

As mentioned by Beer Nut I'd be more concerned about how long the bottle has been kept under the hot lighting. There is no conclusive evidence over the short term but I think a whiskey exposed to extreme heat and then cooled on and off over time could affect the contents. It will not make it un drinkable but could dull the flavours over time.

See this Bottle here after a lot of research this turns out to be is between 90 & 100 years old and look at the evapouration. This was part of a case of Old Jameson and others were evapourated by half.

Advertisement