Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Garmin Maps on Nuvi 250

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i know the nuvi 250 is discontinued but i need to update the maps on it.

i have registered the product only today even though i have it over a year.

anyway the garmin site is telling me a one off update of European maps is available for $60.

i only have approx 450MB free space on the device and no micro sd card.

so if i download the map update (takes ages apparently & very large file) i won't be able to store it all on the sat nav.

what size micro sd card would i need?

can i download the map update now and transfer it to the sat nav later?

have any of you done this before - how'd it go? where did you buy the sd card?

thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi all,

i know the nuvi 250 is discontinued but i need to update the maps on it.

i have registered the product only today even though i have it over a year.

anyway the garmin site is telling me a one off update of European maps is available for $60.

i only have approx 450MB free space on the device and no micro sd card.

so if i download the map update (takes ages apparently & very large file) i won't be able to store it all on the sat nav.

what size micro sd card would i need?

can i download the map update now and transfer it to the sat nav later?

have any of you done this before - how'd it go? where did you buy the sd card?

thanks for any replies.

Moved to the gps forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you'd aletered the first satellite fix date before registering it, the update would have been free... oh well.

The full European maps are now slightly over the size of a 2GB card - however, if you decide to drop, say, Iceland and Romania it'll fit on a 2GB card. This is what I have in my 255W at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

MYOB wrote: »
    If you'd aletered the first satellite fix date before registering it, the update would have been free... oh well.

i can't tell you how gutted i a to hear that.

how do you decide to leave out countries - to be honest i'm only really interested in the UK & Ireland maps, which might fit onto the remaining disk space?

When you put the new maps on the device, the installer gives you a map of all the sectors and you can click/drag over the ones you want to put on.

UK and Ireland maps will almost certainly fit on the remaining space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

just paid 60 euro to up date my maps. it fitted uk and ireland. mine is also a nuvi 250 approx 2 yrs old. took about 30 mins to download.
    as a matter of interest does it take ur unit a very long time to pick up the satellite? or maybe i have a problem ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

usually not too long, depending on where i am of course. although there have been a few times when say it took 10-15 secs or so but no longer than that.

how's the update?

good question ... i cant get the unit to find the satellite . keeps searching. so i have a problem. will ring uk later.

Did you run the latest software updates on it? There's been updates for the older Nuvi's that speed up the time to fix.

Also they take a LOT longer than normal if the maps have been replaced, you've moved significant distance since last time it was turned off or its been a long time since it was turned off.

thanks , so how i up load the software to speed it up ? i did use it over the wekend. around dublin. it took 20 mins to find the satellite one morning which cant be right ? then another time it did it on about 1 min !

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

This is entirely separate to, and doesn't even know about the concept of, map updates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement