Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it that Trapattoni doesn't speak fluent/near fluent english?

• 13-10-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

He has been managing Ireland for a good bit, but still strains himself answering. I remember watching Rafael Van Der Vaart move to Real Madrid. He was giving press conferences in Spanish 3 months after moving, without a translator. After 6 months fluently.

Jose Mourinho speaks English, French, Italy, Spanish and Portuguese and I imagine them all coherently. From what I see of Trapattoni he would need the translator inside the dressing room issuing commands. If he doesn't have the translator by his side I can see the rollout of tactics/motivating player being a difficulty.

Surely he should gets the very best of teachers to have him speaking English in less than a year. If not fluently, at least without the need for a translator in interviews.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

his english is perfectly fine imo apart from a few words here and there.

he is easier to understand than the gimp that managed the team before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Multiple language test than impromptu sacking, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

CorkMan wrote: »
    I remember watching Rafael Van Der Vaart move to Real Madrid. He was giving press conferences in Spanish 3 months after moving, without a translator. After 6 months fluently.

His mother is Spanish. Hence the name Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i have hardly ever heard his translator translate his responces, or heard him conducting interviews or press conferecnces in any other language apart from english.

only time i have heard the translator is to translate what the interviewer is asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Probably because he is Italian. And 71 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yeah FS learning a foreign language in your 70's should be piss easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh wow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You would swear that all Irish people were able to speak 4-5 languages.

I think his English is ok, not fantastic but gets point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

his english is perfectly fine imo apart from a few words here and there.

he is easier to understand than the gimp that managed the team before him.

could be worse -could have an american south Dublin accent loike..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tevez Anderson to name a few that have shiit English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If Brian Kerr can make the effort to learn seagull then Trap should speak English good :P

The "good" is on purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

jaykay74 wrote: »
    If Brian Kerr can make the effort to learn seagull then Trap should speak English good :P

The "good" is on purpose

Kerr got a raw deal -he should find a place with the fai in some capacity managing-how that Don Givens stayed on so long is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Why does he not speak gaelige yet??:confused::confused::eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Have you not seen his interpreter OP? He's obv doing as little as he can to keep her around as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What'sa matta you, hey!
    Gotta no respect, whatta you think you do,

Why you looka so sad? It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place,

Ahhh, shaddap you face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He has been managing Ireland for a good bit, but still strains himself answering. I remember watching Rafael Van Der Vaart move to Real Madrid. He was giving press conferences in Spanish 3 months after moving, without a translator. After 6 months fluently.

Jose Mourinho speaks English, French, Italy, Spanish and Portuguese and I imagine them all coherently. From what I see of Trapattoni he would need the translator inside the dressing room issuing commands. If he doesn't have the translator by his side I can see the rollout of tactics/motivating player being a difficulty.

Surely he should gets the very best of teachers to have him speaking English in less than a year. If not fluently, at least without the need for a translator in interviews.

Are you nearly fluent in English yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I might be wrong in this. However, I have always found it interesting that when Ireland perform Trappatoni brings out the translator. When Ireland perform poorly Trapp speaks for himself in broken English. Am I a bit paranoid, or might I be right in thinking that Trappatoni brings out the broken English on a tactical basis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

How many years have we been taught Irish..... and I still cant string a sentence together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He needs the interpretor mainly for the media imo so as not to say anything stupid and getting devoured by the clowns

im sure the players understand him perfectly when he is shouting at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jose Mourinho speaks English, French, Italy, Spanish and Portuguese and I imagine them all coherently.

He did work as an interpreter though

As for Trap, he's 71, he can barely pick a good team or tactics. I rather he get those aspect right first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He still lives full time in Italy, no? I spent a year in France after studying French for 8 years and my French still isn't perfect.

How's your Italian, OP?

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

His German is not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

tolosenc wrote: »
    He still lives full time in Italy, no? I spent a year in France after studying French for 8 years and my French still isn't perfect.

How's your Italian, OP?

Thought so.

Mi espanol está muy bien. (My spanish is very good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mi espanol está muy bien. (My spanish is very good)

Joys of Google eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Have you not seen his interpreter OP? He's obv doing as little as he can to keep her around as long as possible.

She has a talented tongue I hear.

Ahem.

:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

jaykay74 wrote: »

The "good" is on purpose

He seems to be settling in though.
    Isn't that him on the right?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Faroese_folk_dance_club_from_vagar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I hate when Irish people complain about a foreigners English.
    9 times out of 10 the person complaining can't speak anything other than English/The Irish anthem.

/off topic rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are you nearly fluent in English yourself?

But I hear the OPs Italy is extremely good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Most stupid thread in the history of the soccer forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mrmoe wrote: »

His German is worse than his English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Funny that because I think it was BBC Football Focus who did a special report on how "poor" Fabio Capellos english is. Its better than my Italian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

bohsman wrote: »
    His German is worse than his English.

Correct bohsmman. His rant in German is famous. It sounds great, but it is 'broken German'. He also lived in Germany day in, day out. He doesnt live in Ireland. He commutes once every 3 months.

He has a translator, and so doesnt need to speak English. If she wasnt there, you could be damn sure he would be better than he is. The only bad thing about his English is that he hasnt enough to do a classic Trap rant. That would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Give the guy a break. He is in his 70's. He doesnt need to speak fluent English and he never will speak fluent English. He can get his point across plus he has an interpretor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Mrmoe wrote: »

Translation: Praise The Fuhrer! Best regards to Mussolini!

Advertisement