Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I found a NES in the attic...

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

with 1000 games built in.

What should I do with this creature of old? Let it sleep it's slumber, or give it a few enhancements. Suggestions on a post of your own please :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not much you can do on them barring disabling the lockout chip. Makes it region free. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not much you can do on them barring disabling the lockout chip. Makes it region free. See here.

I could add in some stereo/mono mixed audio which could be nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I could add in some stereo/mono mixed audio which could be nice too.

Yeah definitely, any info on the mod itself?

The CPU has pinouts for stereo so these can be hooked up to RCA ports or a 3.5mm female socket with some simple wiring.

It's suggested to mix in the mono feed though because games were designed for mono and some of them sound bad in stereo. So I was thinking about using a potentiometer with full-right = pure stereo, and full-left = pure mono. A small potentiometer, easily adjustable from the front of the NES.

The pins are 1 and 2 on the CPU (2A03) - the pinout is here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

with 1000 games built in.

What should I do with this creature of old? Let it sleep it's slumber, or give it a few enhancements. Suggestions on a post of your own please :p

You could swap it with me for a gamecube i have in the attic :p ive also got some master system games and game gear games.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You could swap it with me for a gamecube i have in the attic :p ive also got some master system games and game gear games.:rolleyes:

LOL, afraid not. I love my NES. And my Atari 2600 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

make it into a sweet pc or media player hmmm ya know ya want to http://technabob.com/blog/2007/12/02/nintendo-nes-pc-spotted-on-ebay/

Well it appears even way back in the very early 90s cloning consoles was rife, because I'm almost certain I have a NES clone and not an actual NES :D

I can find no pictures of motherboards that look like mine, almost all the chips are Goldstar and there's no Lockout Chip or anything online that remotely resembles the innards I have at all.

Hopefully I can get it up and running, and maybe later I'll investigate some pinouts and see what I can do with it. I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest :(

Right, so I'm actually sure now. The suspicious absence of all references to Nintendo on my case/board, the sometimes shoddy solderwork, and the lack of any identifiers at all are big clues.

Damn, there goes my childhood and modding hopes :(

*Edit*: It's a NASA Entertainment Computer System clone, but the case is unlike the ones you find on Google, it's got everything in the right place like the original NES except on the drive lid it says "Entertainment computer system" and not what the original NES has (i.e. "NINTENDO ...")

Advertisement