Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about processors

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I've got a dual core E2160 at the moment, overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4.

My motherboard is LGA775 so if I'm getting a new processor and don't want to have to shell out for a new motherboard I guess it's going to be a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.

It seems these processors haven't dropped in price much at all in the last year or 18 months. I'm surprised by this because they've been around for ages and now we have the i3, i5 and i7 range out.

The core 2 quad and core 2 duo on komplett.ie are 135 and 160 quid respectively. Is there any point in waiting for prices to drop or should I just try to get one second hand?

I use the machine for gaming amongst other things, have 8GB RAM and a 4870 512MB.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First, check your mobo. Mobos based on P3x/P4x chipsets and their G- and Q- counterparts are fine, though x3x mobos may need BIOS updates for newer chips. Earlier mobos can't run 45nm chips, and of these only 965P mobos can run even a 65nm quad.

Second, you'll really be wanting a quad nowadays - they're still good chips. Catch is that you really should try to buy second-hand for €30-100, especially with the old 65nm C2Qs. Buying them new is really a fool's game now, given the number of good, cheap, second-hand C2Qs on the market nowadays! :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Den_M wrote: »
    I've got a dual core E2160 at the moment, overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4.

My motherboard is LGA775 so if I'm getting a new processor and don't want to have to shell out for a new motherboard I guess it's going to be a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.

It seems these processors haven't dropped in price much at all in the last year or 18 months. I'm surprised by this because they've been around for ages and now we have the i3, i5 and i7 range out.

The core 2 quad and core 2 duo on komplett.ie are 135 and 160 quid respectively. Is there any point in waiting for prices to drop or should I just try to get one second hand?

I use the machine for gaming amongst other things, have 8GB RAM and a 4870 512MB.

Much depends on your motherboard, would need to find out exactly which CPUs it can support from the manufacturers site, and even if the later Core2 processors are supported you will probably have to update the bios to the latest version.

Could you post up the exact make and model of the board?

EDIT: Typing way too slow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thanks for the replies. My motherboards an Asus PK5. I actually still have the box here next to me, there's those little 'supports core 2 duo and core 2 quad' icons on the front so I guess I should be ok, don't know if I'd have to upgrade the BIOS.

Would a quad use much more power than my existing processor? For a while there I was having the odd blue screen or shutdown which I thought my PSU might be resposible for.
    It's a Trust 520w, pretty sure its this one

Had a look on adverts.ie there, I liked when you could choose a county and see the most recently posted or updated ads for it. That option seems to have dissapeared.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Your PSU needs to be replaced anyway - its dreadful :(

Mobo is fine but can probably use a BIOS update if it doesn't have the latest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Look like you are all set. I would probably go the second hand route myself to be honest and look for a good deal, older 'new' components have a nasty habit of going up in price rather than down as they be come less and less common.

• Advertisement
Advertisement