Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home recording.. best way?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I have protools and want to start recording in my home music room. Im getting a laptop and wonder whats the best laptop to get for protools? Id say mac? Whats the craic with soundcards? do they come with laptops? Should i use a external hardrive for saving the music? (sorry im really clueless!)

Any tips for a lady?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

JajaD wrote: »
    I have protools and want to start recording in my home music room. Im getting a laptop and wonder whats the best laptop to get for protools? Id say mac? Whats the craic with soundcards? do they come with laptops? Should i use a external hardrive for saving the music? (sorry im really clueless!)

Any tips for a lady?
    You want to start with ProTools because you want to learn how to use it or just because you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Any tips for a lady?

hi jaja.

you need to go to the avid website and follow their computer building guide to a tee before running protools (especially on a laptop!)

if you dont follow their exact recommendations theres a very high chance it wont work and if you go to them for support they'll just tell you to come back when you have the correct machine.

for a soundcard you will need to buy a digidesign soundcard (protools wont work without one) - you can pick up an mbox 2 for about 150/200 2nd hand. these are a good place to start to get into the world of protools.

if you definitly want a laptop (although a desk top is a much better option for connectivity and peripherals) then i'd suggest going PC as only the most expensive macs have the options you would need.

a good place to start for protools machines is the custom synergy range at dv247.com

whatever you do DO NOT skimp on your machine. to get protools working perfectly is a very expensive way to go and if you're on a budget i would suggest looking into reaper or cubase instead.

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

hi jaja.

you need to go to the avid website and follow their computer building guide to a tee before running protools (especially on a laptop!)

if you dont follow their exact recommendations theres a very high chance it wont work and if you go to them for support they'll just tell you to come back when you have the correct machine.

for a soundcard you will need to buy a digidesign soundcard (protools wont work without one) - you can pick up an mbox 2 for about 150/200 2nd hand. these are a good place to start to get into the world of protools.

if you definitly want a laptop (although a desk top is a much better option for connectivity and peripherals) then i'd suggest going PC as only the most expensive macs have the options you would need.

a good place to start for protools machines is the custom synergy range at dv247.com

whatever you do DO NOT skimp on your machine. to get protools working perfectly is a very expensive way to go and if you're on a budget i would suggest looking into reaper or cubase instead.

good luck!

I have an mbox already and have been using protools already on an average computer and it was working fine. I really didnt know anything about protools and just threw the proramme onto my computer and i recorded a few songs already. I wanted a mac laptop so i could use for college and possibly used at gigs but the main reason is for recording so if its better to have a computer then id get a mac computer then? Do i still need a sound card if i already have a mbox then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I have an mbox already and have been using protools already on an average computer and it was working fine. I really didnt know anything about protools and just threw the proramme onto my computer and i recorded a few songs already. I wanted a mac laptop so i could use for college and possibly used at gigs but the main reason is for recording so if its better to have a computer then id get a mac computer then? Do i still need a sound card if i already have a mbox then?

an mbox IS a soundcard.

if your computer is working fine then keep using it but it will eventually cause you problems as you get into bigger mixes. thats a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

an mbox IS a soundcard.

if your computer is working fine then keep using it but it will eventually cause you problems as you get into bigger mixes. thats a guarantee.

Haha see thats how ****e i am at this sort of stuff! :) Cool. So get a comp that will support protools. Grand job. Thanks for your help. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement