Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jobs in the Motor Industry

• 13-10-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

Nice to see someone sees potential in the motor industry. This website has just been launched and claims to have experienced demand for qualified mechanics.

It will be interesting to see if the sales roles increase over the coming months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only problem with sales roles, is that there's so many candidates applying for the one job. I heard of one garage in Cork getting inundated by CV's for a basic position, some offering to work for free for a few months just to be able to get in the door. And the problem is the garages are now exploiting workers by asking them to come early, leave late, and taking short lunch breaks/no tea breaks and work 6 days.

It's not the most pleasant of jobs lately, and if you work out the additional hours you'd be doing per week versus what you're paid, it's like working 2 full time jobs.

Still, good to see an Auto related jobs site for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Back when I was selling, we regularly did 6/7 day weeks, extra hours and no breaks -off our own bat, because it paid to do so. I would always rather have a deal than a lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's the problem Kazul right there. People get burned out, and if the pay structure was done with realistic targets, people wouldn't have to be afraid to take a lunch break in case they missed a sale. People working 6/7 day weeks have little or no interaction with their children and partners/family/friends.

In my experience it paid well, but it was all take take take, and very little return apart from monetary gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice idea, but the timing is way off - I mean WAY off. There's feck all jobs out there in the motor trade at the moment be it sales or service. Many dealerships have closed as we know so there are plenty of experienced sales staff and experienced mechanics out there looking for work. Is there a niche market out there for a dedicated motor trade recruitment site (or site sub-section)?

Yes and no: picture yourself as an out of job sales person with good experience. Obviously enough if you're out of work you're going to apply for all and any sales jobs going and any potential employer will be bobmbarded with applicants for any available position. If a site is dedicated solely to the motor trade and applicants have only motor trade experience that's a plus as it filters out the wannabes. Problem is the availability of jobs in the trade right now is practically non-existant.

Best of luck to them anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

The timing is way off alright, i've never seen thing so bad in the motor trade, i've worked in it for nearly 30 years and I really can't see a future in it anymore. The amount of cancellations or people booking in and simply not turning up is unbelievable. The only future I see in the motor industry is in the black market and I really can't blame people in these hard times. The amount of certification, red tape and overheads are simply overwhelming and the cost of employing anyone and the cost of compliance has gone through the roof. I can't honestly see a future here anymore, for one who survived on crumbs all my life even they're scarce now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

That's the problem Kazul right there. People get burned out, and if the pay structure was done with realistic targets, people wouldn't have to be afraid to take a lunch break in case they missed a sale. People working 6/7 day weeks have little or no interaction with their children and partners/family/friends.

In my experience it paid well, but it was all take take take, and very little return apart from monetary gains.

I'm a hotel manager by trade and I'm kinda conditioned to work long and hard. It was fine as long as the money was coming in. Selling finance was tougher, crazy deals with banks. My mantra used to be "I can afford to feed the family or have a conscience, but not both"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

The only future I see in the motor industry is in the black market and I really can't blame people in these hard times.

Do you think we're going to start seeing more and more cars on the side of the road with 'For Sale' signs up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Motorcheck wrote: »
    Do you think we're going to start seeing more and more cars on the side of the road with 'For Sale' signs up?

And in turn we'll see more Council funded recovery lorries taking them away, as the art of selling on the side of the road* has long been made illegal.

*Unless of course you sell from outside your home, which brings its own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I was referring more to the service side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

We took on another sales man and a new apprentice mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

More motor related jobs here:

http://www.dole.ie/search/basic/category/all/keywords/motor/

Btw, am I right in thinking because cars are getting move advanced and have less moving parts that there will be less of a need for mechanics in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Been there, done that. Going in to work in a showroom at 9am on a Saturday morning was the pits, leaving your lovely warm missus to go into work and deal with a bunch of time wasters with f*ck all else to do on a saturday. The real selling was done during the week IMO.

Almost as bad as working for the big green 'E'.

Life's too short. But then again, a jobs a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's 2 listed for an "Expanding Dealership" in Limerick. Who the fvck is expanding? John Moloney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Nice to see someone sees potential in the motor industry. This website has just been launched and claims to have experienced demand for qualified mechanics.

It will be interesting to see if the sales roles increase over the coming months.

thats the problem, you cant qualified in the trade.

i mean, even before the recession the job was gold dust imo... but thats just my luck i guess :mad:

Advertisement