Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registration fees refund?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have just withdrawn from my course in UCD. Am i entitled to a refund for the registration fees that i paid in September?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Check out this page.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/refunds.htm
    Students who officially withdraw (see point 2 above) from 2 October 2010 to 28 January in 2011 inclusive are liable for payment of the Student Services fee and the Student Centre levy i.e. €1,654.00. FURTHER, half the tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will be liable to pay half the tuition fee for the equivalent duration of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution.

Just wondering do you also realise you're liable for full fees next year as far as I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Just wondering do you also realise you're liable for full fees next year as far as I know..

no, i didn't know that, are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Yea, it'll be at least half fees, anyway. You only have until the end of September to withdraw and no be liable for fees the following year.

• Advertisement

dynamot wrote: »
    no, i didn't know that, are you sure?

It says so in the quote I gave above from the Fees website! The HEA do not pay for you to repeat any stage in your education. You have had Year 1, semester 1 paid for already so any future semester ones will have to come from your pocket.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Nope, you don't get a refund, and will have to pay the full tuition fees for semester 1 next year if you go to a different college (which will probably be about €2500 depending on the course, plus whatever the registration fee is for that college).

It says so in the quote I gave above from the Fees website! The HEA do not pay for you to repeat any stage in your education. You have had Year 1, semester 1 paid for already so any future semester ones will have to come from your pocket.

So do you know how much that would be per year?

I find it ridiculous that you only have until the end of September to decide, having barely completed two weeks of your course.

Well that's why you're supposed to do lots of research about your course before flinging it down onto the CAO form. I'm also surprised no one told you you'd be liable for full fees when you were withdrawing from your course.

It depends on what course you are doing. Check out the current rates for full fees here. Divide that in 2 and you have the amount you would pay.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A mate of mine pulled out of Arts. Basically he said that since he pulled out of first year, he's not entitiled to a first year again. So he pays his next "1st year" and then the rest of degree will be paid for. Kinda like you have 4 box's (aka years) to fill in. Whatever you fill in your not entitled to again. Makes sense or you could spend 5 free fee years searching for a course you like, then do it. So the tax payer could end up spending 10 years of free fee's on one student.

Also, it looks like reg fee's could be €3000 next year. Can you not transfer to a course you'd prefer? Withdrawing is serious for time and money.

ironclaw wrote: »
    A mate of mine pulled out of Arts. Basically he said that since he pulled out of first year, he's not entitiled to a first year again. So he pays his next "1st year" and then the rest of degree will be paid for. Kinda like you have 4 box's (aka years) to fill in. Whatever you fill in your not entitled to again. Makes sense or you could spend 5 free fee years searching for a course you like, then do it. So the tax payer could end up spending 10 years of free fee's on one student.

Also, it looks like reg fee's could be €3000 next year. Can you not transfer to a course you'd prefer? Withdrawing is serious for time and money.

no, unfortunately i cant. I want to do medecine but first have to do the HPAT in feb 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm dropping out tomorrow. Pain, isn't it? Gonna possibly lose my accomodation money, too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Why are you guys dropping out? Its so difficult to get in to college and I don't see why anyone would leave so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I was wondering myself about the latter part.Although I'm in my final year and likely be back for a MA next year,is that €3000 reg fee factual or just fear mongering? I've seen the figure in several places around UCD with very little substance backing it up. Just wondering what the source is for information sake.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

medecine

You'll go very far won't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

GobBass wrote: »
    I was wondering myself about the latter part.Although I'm in my final year and likely be back for a MA next year,is that €3000 reg fee factual or just fear mongering? I've seen the figure in several places around UCD with very little substance backing it up. Just wondering what the source is for information sake.:D

Have heard that myself, but haven't actually seen anything on paper etc.
    Can only presume if it's going to happen it'll be announced post-budget in December.

Although a jump of 1400e (roughly) would be quite steep, but a sly-ish way of covering the free-fee side of things.

Different college newspapers have printed the €3000 reg fee rumour, they claim a source in the Dept. of Education says they are considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

GobBass wrote: »

Would you not be liable for full fee's as you'd be outside your 4 years "free fee's" regardless? Personally I'd say it will increment to €2000. €3000 would cripple alot of people, especially in todays climate.

Would you not be liable for full fee's as you'd be outside your 4 years "free fee's" regardless? Personally I'd say it will increment to €2000. €3000 would cripple alot of people, especially in todays climate.

The poster would be doing an MA so free fees would not apply at all. The reg fee would be part of their overall course fees, so any increase in the reg fee might have an impact on postgrad fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

no, unfortunately i cant. I want to do medecine but first have to do the HPAT in feb 2011

For a start it helps to spell your chosen profession properly :)

Personally, If I were to be charged 1500 quid I'd honestly just go to college for the year, at least you'll learn something and actually feel like you might get something out of it. The only reason I'd drop out is if I had a proper job for the year, also you should try and sneak into a few Medicine/Radiography/Physiotherapy lectures and see what you're in for next year, that's ridiculous charging you the full fees for 4 weeks in there, but get your moneys worth as much as you can.

For a start it helps to spell your chosen profession properly :)

Personally, If I were to be charged 1500 quid I'd honestly just go to college for the year, at least you'll learn something and actually feel like you might get something out of it. The only reason I'd drop out is if I had a proper job for the year, also you should try and sneak into a few Medicine/Radiography/Physiotherapy lectures and see what you're in for next year, that's ridiculous charging you the full fees for 4 weeks in there, but get your moneys worth as much as you can.

If he drops out now instead of finishing the year, he'll only pay half the fees next year. Starting semester 2 would mean paying full fees next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

Nope, you don't get a refund, and will have to pay the full tuition fees for semester 1 next year if you go to a different college (which will probably be about €2500 depending on the course, plus whatever the registration fee is for that college).

Hey Last november i dropped out of 1st year and my tutor told me i would have to pay half full fees when returning back to 1st year. Do you know if i have to pay the entrance fee of 1500 with that?? also im planning on going to itb and it says honour degrees cost 2,319 per annum so does that mean i only have to pay half of that????

If you dropped out before semester 2 started then you'll only have to pay full fees for the first half of the year. I assume you pay the full reg fee as normal (that's completely unrelated to tuition fees).

If you dropped out before semester 2 started then you'll only have to pay full fees for the first half of the year. I assume you pay the full reg fee as normal (that's completely unrelated to tuition fees).

do you have to pay it straight away or can you wait until your second or fourth year to pay it?

Um, you have to pay that every year. €1500 a year is the registration fee... You can split it into 2 payments (1 in September and one in January) AFAIK, but you pay it every single year. It's not a once off fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

That will be expensive for you, I imagine.
    kev9100 wrote: »
    Why are you guys dropping out? Its so difficult to get in to college and I don't see why anyone would leave so early.

If you are not going to stick with it, leave ASAP.

The reg fee is part of the fees. So it will not be paid on top of the fees. When you hear that the fees for a course are €X, that amount includes the reg fee.

The reg fee is part of the fees. So it will not be paid on top of the fees. When you hear that the fees for a course are €X, that amount includes the reg fee.

are fees in IT's generally cheaper than universities? because i thought i would be paying way more than (half of) 2,319 :S

• Advertisement

You sure? Cause when I registered for UCD they messed up my application at the start and were charging me 4k fee's PLUS the 1,650 reg fee.

Advertisement