Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding qualifications to screen-name

• 13-10-2010 5:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Right,
    This one is just lame and I'm noticing people doing it more for some reason.

Especially if it's facebook or some sort of online profile or something where someone puts letters before or after their name. I don't really care about

Like if it was
    John Murphy MBE, or
    Jane Doe BSc, or
    Mary Lemon HDip

How presumptuous can you possibly be? Do you sign it on your Christmas cards too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Yes i do it everywhere

Sir Dr KeithM89 MBE, CEO, PIMP

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dr.Bollocko Ph.D needed in After Hours stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I only do it when people do it to me because I usually have better qualifications than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

*Waits for string of replies with people signing their post off with qualification letters after their username, thinking they are hilarious and original*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Echospace wrote: »
    *Waits for string of replies with people signing their post off with qualification letters after their username, thinking they are hilarious and original*

Too late - i got there already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'll only be using them for loan applications. Cant stand that ****e, although a few friends graduated this year and they haven't bothered with the title (dr).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Never seen it before tbh. Two reasons I can think of for it, though.

1) They're applying for jobs and are well aware employers search social networks such as Facebook and figure they might as well have it there so they look better to the employer, or

2) They're pretentious twats who think a bunch of letters beside their name give them any superiority in life.

Smart for actual business and social networking, bit retarded for the majority of FB users though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

my OH has them, i fraped him! he hates bragging but i love it! especially now i have so much to brag about! :D

sincerely,
    Mrs. j2d2 bsc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

liah wrote: »
    Never seen it before tbh. Two reasons I can think of for it, though.

1) They're applying for jobs and are well aware employers search social networks such as Facebook and figure they might as well have it there so they look better to the employer, or

2) They're pretentious twats who think a bunch of letters beside their name give them any superiority in life.

Smart for actual business and social networking, bit retarded for the majority of FB users though..

i hate people who insist on being called doctor, that aren't medical doctors. like michael woods, the former junior minister. horticulture was his forté. in fact, i hate medical doctors that introduce themselves as doctors in social settings too. keep it to work hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I only do it when people do it to me because I usually have better qualifications than them.

Working in McDonalds is not a qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I haven't noticed people using it on social networking sites unless they're representing their employer.. I was at a GAA match not so long ago however and on match program where it lists the players, it had some guys name with Ph.D after it.. cringe-worthy stuff, presuming he asked that it be included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

godtabh wrote: »
    Working in McDonalds is not a qualification

johnny no-stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galwayrush. N.F.D.A.A.(hons);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

he hates bragging but i love it! especially now i have so much to brag about! :D

You sound like my mum.

JohnathanM wrote: »
    You sound like my mum.

i sound like his mum too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

i sound like his mum too :(

I can see where this is going...

Regards, pow wow BA(Hons), MA, DDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Copper23 wrote: »

How presumptuous can you possibly be? Do you sign it on your Christmas cards too?

It's only presumptuous if they haven't achieved the qualification. I don't think anyone is that stupid.

"pre·sump·tu·ous

–adjective
    1. full of, characterized by, or showing presumption or readiness to presume in conduct or thought.

2. unwarrantedly or impertinently bold; forward."

I always get a laugh when I see a letter from the institute of actuaries addressed to me with qualification letters after my name.
    Would never use it anywhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I add my job titles to the bottom of my emails? Does that count?

(The reason is so people know what I don't do...as they always ask me to do crap I'm not responsible for)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Right,
    Like if it was
    John Murphy MBE, or

Do you know many people on facebook that were awarded a postnominal title by the queen of England? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

J2D2 wrote: »
    "pre·sump·tu·ous
    2. unwarrantedly or impertinently bold; forward."

Eh, how does this definition disprove what I said? Unwarrantedly bold and forward as to use such a title in their name for no other reason but to sooth their superiority complex. Or were you actually agreeing with me?

Also, quoting dictionary.com and PROVING you are not a presumptuous twat doesn't go hand in hand.
    Not even getting into the fact that quoting a dictionary while using a non-existent word doesn't help to prove your point or superiority.

God in this day and age we are lucky that enough of us can afford to go to college to get these letters but it's not exactly like you're the only one in the village who has a BA or something.

If you are a practicing Doctor then the title Dr. is fairly acceptable.
    If you are senior staff at a university it may be acceptable to use higher ranks such as PhD in a professional or formal setting.

Beyond that, adding it to anything other than the education section of your CV you'd have to be some twat.

I presume those disagreeing are the presumptuous, self absorbed people who do it in some sort of effort of displaying of their superiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

pow wow wrote: »

Wow you have double-Ds, impressive :D

For pedants, yes I know this is for dentistry

I think its fair to use those letters once you've earned them. It's not about being self absorbed, it's about being proud of what you've done. If other people are somehow offended by this, then either they're jealous or they themselves believe they are above such qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's a pre-emptive strike.
    Vote for me. I'm not Bertie Ahern.

Entitled to your opinion...
    Most would think it's cringeworthy.

Also, was it your wife or who's posted earlier that they somehow inherited the Bachelors Degree of their husband once they got married?

e.g.
    Mr. X BSc married Ms. Y who is unqualified
    She becomes Mrs. Y BSc????

Eh, I don't think it works that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

J2D2 wrote: »
    I think its fair to use those letters once you've earned them. It's not about being self absorbed, it's about being proud of what you've done. If other people are somehow offended by this, then either they're jealous or they themselves believe they are above such qualifications.

I dunno. I have a a fair few letters to post after my name, so it's not jealousy for me and I'm by definition then not above gaining an education. Perhaps some people are jealous, but when I see a pile of letters outside of professional use I tend to feel like I'm being jabbed by some sort of pre-emptive attack. "Meet Bob, the master of thingie", rather than just "meet Bob".

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

I would prefer it if narcissistic Boardies* changed their registered user status to something quallification-y: i.e. "Most likely to die in a gutter"; "Qualified sh1te merchant/Presidential hopeful" Certified-guy-in-background" - if only for the 10 seconds of meta-humour I could smirk to...I'm bored...

*only applies to hardcore members. The best kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If it happens on boards why dont we just punch them in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You sound like my mum.

No he sounds like your oul one

I dunno. I have a a fair few letters to post after my name, so it's not jealousy for me and I'm by definition then not above gaining an education. Perhaps some people are jealous, but when I see a pile of letters outside of professional use I tend to feel like I'm being jabbed by some sort of pre-emptive attack. "Meet Bob, the master of thingie", rather than just "meet Bob".

Ah of course, in day to day life certainly I wouldn't walk around introducing myself with my full title. I'd be a bit put off by someone who did this when I first met them to be fair.

Putting it on social networks or things like that is fairly harmless though. I figure it's fair game to use it for a while after you've earned it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

orourkeda wrote: »
    If it happens on boards why dont we just punch them in the face.
    Only Chuck Norris can punch you through your monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Would never use them in a socal setting, work e-mail, court reports, and lecture handouts. It would be common enough in my profession to use them and professional bodies in the above examples.

However, I have my own facebook account and an OdysseusAPPI account. The reason for that is APPI is a professional body for psychoanalysts. APPI just started a facebook page and we have been asked to set up a different account for that with the APPI at the end. This is merely to keep our personal life away from our private one. If it wasn't for that I would merely have my personal account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

What self-agrandising nonsense.

The Very Reverend Dr Wernstrom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I haven't seen it too much out side of work. I have encountered the opposite with work in that most people do not include their title. It would only be used for official documents and events. Using it on social sites would definitely be a bit cringeworthy but if someone wnats to, so be it, it's not a capital offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭andrew cross

i only use when im upset i try to shorten the the long title but when i say physio :mad: no just mad:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

i only use when im upset i try to shorten the the long title but when i say physio :mad: no just mad:mad:

I have no idea what you're saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Get some yourself and stop being jealous of your betters.

~Stovelid B.A, MSc

stovelid wrote: »
    Get some yourself and stop being jealous of your betters.

~Stovelid B.A, MSc

Thanks for proving my point, what condescending bull****.

I actually have a Diploma, 2 Degrees and a Masters I could all gladly add to my title but to be honest I'm not an arrogant prick and wouldn't dream of it. I work with people who are higher qualified again and they never do it, what sort of a tool would I look flaunting my Bachelors around for example if my co-worker is a PhD.

And at the end of the day, A Bachelors in something isn't exactly what it was 30 years ago. Youd want something at least higher than a Masters to even use it in a formal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It looks a bit out of place on a McDonalds name tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

pow wow wrote: »

at 22
    the time came due
    to choose a lifes profession.
    I struggled hard to think of one
    inline with mine obession.
    I could have been a boxer
    or lawyer, yeah, i guess.
    but no one causes suffering
    like a lisenced DDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yes i do it everywhere

Sir Dr KeithM89 MBE, CEO, PIMP

Classic stuff, needed a good laugh, thanks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got myself ordained on the internet so some times I put Rev. on stuff like government forms. I also like to abuse my powers by marrying random strangers I met on the street, sometimes they don't even know they're getting married because I do it to them while their asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks for proving my point, what condescending bull****.

I actually have a Diploma, 2 Degrees and a Masters I could all gladly add to my title but to be honest I'm not an arrogant prick and wouldn't dream of it. I work with people who are higher qualified again and they never do it, what sort of a tool would I look flaunting my Bachelors around for example if my co-worker is a PhD.

And at the end of the day, A Bachelors in something isn't exactly what it was 30 years ago. Youd want something at least higher than a Masters to even use it in a formal way.

Were any of your numerous qualifications in sarcasm detection by any chance?

Even a higher certificate in obvious jokes might suffice.

It looks a bit out of place on a McDonalds name tag.

so my uniform looks out of place *sniff* cause it has candlelover B.f.s. :(

(burger flipper & server)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

SqueakyDuck BA MA, I don't know if it's correct to have it like that though. But as I got my MA results I did put on my facebook (O)BAMA! hehehe! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Only done it once professionally when a smart arsed little bollix tried to get uppity via email... 'if you had xxx after your name like me' he said..... so I sent him a charming reply and signed off with my name and qualifications, which ironically enough were the same ones he had.

..and did it once in person, to correct another ignorant fool who was hassling a shop assistant. Put him back in his box too.

Apart from that, never. Although if someone wants to fair play. It's not making them superior, if they have the right to do it, then fire ahead. The same people calling others knobs for putting their qualifications after their names will be here on another thread asking why Irish are begrudgers...

prinz wrote: »
    The same people calling others knobs for putting their qualifications after their names will be here on another thread asking why Irish are begrudgers...

As I said, I have plenty letters to put after my name if I chose. In a professional setting where it is appropriate or I am among peers and it's acceptable in certain circumstances.

On a bloody facebook page? Get off your high horse. If you want to boast it fine, but realise most people will think you're an arrogant c*nt and whats worse given these days if it's a Dip or a Bachelors even, chances are half your friends have it too or probably higher and are not boasting it, do you REALLY think it is impressing someone?

Fine you earned then. I earned mine! I earned an under 12's league medal in football, I'm an All-Ireland champion in another sport, I won an AIB sponsored colouring competition for feck sake when I was 5!!!!! Wow, Aren't i great! I must tell everyone how up my own arse I am.

Do I need to write all that after my name in a day to day setting? No!! I want to be called Copper... and thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

SqueakyDuck BA MA, I don't know if it's correct to have it like that though. But as I got my MA results I did put on my facebook (O)BAMA! hehehe! :P

But you got your Ba MA in English from UCD.

and you have stairs in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

On a bloody facebook page? Get off your high horse. If you want to boast it fine, but realise most people will think you're an arrogant c*nt and whats worse given these days if it's a Dip or a Bachelors even, chances are half your friends have it too or probably higher and are not boasting it, do you REALLY think it is impressing someone?

If someone wants to put them on a facebook page (which as outlined already there may be reasons for) then what of it. Nothing to get upset about. There are far worse things people seem ok with putting on their facebook pages..

• Advertisement
Advertisement