Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Semis & League of Ireland football this weekend, 15-17 Oct 2010

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm not the biggest fan of Dessie, but he was outstanding. Turner and Sives weren't far behind him. I'd be much happier with Murphy instead of Stevens. I thought Dennehy was immensely frustrating/poor and should've cost a goal in the first half.

It's clear what happened even from behind a floodlight pylon on the Camac side. Rovers fans on the pitch, Pats fans 'ask' them over, Rovers stupidly do so and Pats throw the bottles ala ambush. If dreamers75 can find a picture of the raping and pillaging Rovers fans running with bottles in hand at the halfway line, I'll change my mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest of Dessie, but he was outstanding. Turner and Sives weren't far behind him. I'd be much happier with Murphy instead of Stevens. I thought Dennehy was immensely frustrating/poor and should've cost a goal in the first half.

It's clear what happened even from behind a floodlight pylon on the Camac side. Rovers fans on the pitch, Pats fans 'ask' them over, Rovers stupidly do so and Pats throw the bottles ala ambush. If dreamers75 can find a picture of the raping and pillaging Rovers fans running with bottles in hand at the halfway line, I'll change my mind..

Are you deluded?

Your fans chant "we are going on the pitch" then go on the pitch and move towards the pats fans giving it loads. Everything that happened tonight was caused by Rovers fans, i know its the norm to blame others or say it did happen.

But please point oiut the pats fans in this video? Terrible goading from pats in their ****ing seats!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1436256630768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Both sets of 'fans', the chap on fm104 is taking the pi$$ though, he's describing it as if the place was getting wrecked, nothing like that at all, handbags flying was all, and everyone was cleared from the pitch within minutes. Get over it. Great game, both sides were outstanding and should be proud of their performances. Well done Pats & Rovers. Would encourage anyone to go to a game if it was always like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dfx- wrote: »

That's how I saw it too but admittedly I was way back in the shed so I'm happy to be proved wrong if there is a video.

Not making excuses for any on our side obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    That's how I saw it too but admittedly I was way back in the shed so I'm happy to be proved wrong if there is a video.

Not making excuses for any on our side obviously.

I was sitting in the gantry, nothing blocking my view of it. Also annoyed as i my kid with me and couldnt get out of the stadium at full time.

• Advertisement

Not a member of facebook thankfully..

But if they're in their seats, then it's not them. They were standing behind the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Cant see that vid dreamers

'This video either has been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings.,'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's amazing that nearly every single f**king incident that happens with fans includes Shams fans, aint it?

Absolute scum, they give nothing but bad press to our league.

Don't give be that ''small group'' bulls*it.

I was chatting to the one of the riot cops outside. He said there was no fighting (at that time - 10 minutes after kick-off - anyway) but they were just dispersing the supporters by separate ways. I parked in Inchicore and couldn't see any evidence of burning buildings, riots and the like but maybe they were bringing civilisation to its knees down the back-streets instead. I texted my wife some emergency amendments to our will just in case though.

:D

Inchicore just now:

lahore-carnage.jpg?w=450&h=240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Shamrock Rovers letting the League down again. Another paltry €500 fine from FAI for their model club I suppose.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It's amazing that nearly every single f**king incident that happens with fans includes Shams fans, aint it?

They're worse than I thought if they even throw bricks through the windows of their own family supporter buses in Sligo now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Jealousy is contagious in this little league of ours :)

Its not the FAI/LoI/Refs/media/illuminti that make us the "model" club, its the small man syndrome rampant in the league. Someone is running a club properly and yet they get criticised by only what they do wrong. Look closer to home for problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ebbs wrote: »

Its not the FAI/LoI/Refs/media/illuminti that make us the "model" club, its the small man syndrome rampant in the league. Someone is running a club properly and yet they get criticised by only what they do wrong. Look closer to home for problems.

Running a club properly is not paying any debts is it? Also, haven't you been running at a loss the past two seasons no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

A riot at a LOI/FAI cup game... how come that doesn't surprise me.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Running a club properly is not paying any debts is it? Also, haven't you been running at a loss the past two seasons no?

The current administration aren't the ones of the past. You cant compare the two and pretend to take the high ground. Maguire et el were just like the rest of the shams that tried to run this league into the ground. I dont recall saying we "ran" the club well, I said at present we are "running" our club to perfection.

Someone got a hold of that rag of a paper who have no idea how to read accounts. Retained losses are not debt or any such matter. You can make a 100million profit and still have retained losses. In saying that...we have offset the debt and are running will come out with retained earnings for this calender year and the financial year.
    j1smithy wrote: »

Back on the barstool with you..

They're worse than I thought if they even throw bricks through the windows of their own family supporter buses in Sligo now?

They threw bricks at their own buses? Jaysus, I know our knackers threw rocks but why would yours throw bricks? :eek:

The Conway family from the Centra shop across from the showgrounds send their regards, you might remember the shopkeeper on crutches who was attacked?

I'm a Sligo Rovers fan...
    We are 3rd, in a cup final and have already won a cup.
    We also have one of the best teams in the league who can win games AND entertain the paying fans.

Jealous of Shamrock Rovers :D.

Our club is being run very well.

Cerebral inertia?

Jaysus, I know our knackers threw rocks

So you have them?

So you have them?

It's Sligo! :D

Back on the barstool with you..

It appears I'd be safer on the bar stool than at a LOI/Cup game. How come its only soccer in Ireland thats marred with spectator violence. Never heard of it occurring in Rugby, and mass violent pitch invasions in GAA don't happen, and when there was an incident, proper remedial measures were taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Our club is being run very well.

Indeed. Now if you lot could only drop the obsession with us, you'd be fine.

It's Sligo! :D

Often the element (either local or around) some clubs only show up when Rovers are in town. That doesn't make it only Rovers at it though god knows there are Rovers at it.

Pats invaded the pitch and charged our end at the last game of last season and there was virtually no comment from fans of other clubs.
    It appears I'd be safer on the bar stool than at a LOI/Cup game. How come its only soccer in Ireland thats marred with spectator violence. Never heard of it occurring in Rugby, and mass violent pitch invasions in GAA don't happen, and when there was an incident, proper remedial measures were taken.

LOL.

Also your beloved English, Scottish, Spanish and Italian teams still have considerable form in the disorder stakes although you'd hardly know otherwise sat in a pub in Ireland or waffling on forums when the games are actually on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

, and mass violent pitch invasions in GAA don't happen,

Wait, what?

Come off it you West Brit, you wouldn't call that a riot.

bohsman wrote: »
    Wait, what?

When was the last time there was a riot at a GAA or Rugby game?

You're having a laugh right?

Some final there a while back - this year I think?, the ref and some players got attacked.

There's more violence in my signature clip than tonight..

Yep, they definatly didnt just erect huge fences to stop pitch invasions. There is never huge on pitch brawls between PLAYERS in both sports. Ever. There is also never numerous reports of violence between UNDERAGE intercounty game. Ever.

And yet...there is more passion and atmosphere at a Rovers and Bohs game, that holds 6000 people than there is at a prawn sandwich affair that holds 80,000.

• Advertisement

Some final there a while back - this year I think?, the ref and some players got attacked.

I take it you're referring to the Louth/Meath Leinster final. Yes, the referee was attacked and that was completely unacceptable. The powers that be in the GAA then took the correct decisions to ensure it doesn't happen again. I've lived in phibsboro and the place used to regularly grind to a halt when there were matches on all because the spectators couldn't have manners. Violence is endemic at LOI and unlike other sports where they have isolated incidents, its an ongoing problem for soccer in Ireland - and nothing is ever done about, just ignored. Where are the match bans for the problem supporters?

Even posters here joke at the fact that the sanction handed out to the club will be a mere €500 fine. Wheres the incentive to stop this carry on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Violence is endemic at LOI

My f*cking hole it is. :rolleyes:

I take it you're referring to the Louth/Meath Leinster final. Yes, the referee was attacked and that was completely unacceptable. The powers that be in the GAA then took the correct decisions to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It happens regularly, from the underage games right up - surely they should have stopped stuff like this after the ref got locked in a car boot.

Zebra3 wrote: »

We all know it's not but then again a lot of LOI supporters themselves spend a significant amount of time implying that there is in order to score points against rival clubs.

Well how come towns have to go into lock-down when certain clubs go travelling? How come phibsboro has more gardai than a busy night in Coppers when bohs are playing. Its because the fans cant have manners and have to be segregated, which is unheard of in other sports in Ireland.

Well how come towns have to go into lock-down when certain clubs go travelling? How come phibsboro has more gardai than a busy night in Coppers when bohs are playing. Its because the fans cant have manners and have to be segregated, which is unheard of in other sports in Ireland.

Because most of the police in Ireland have a virulent antipathy towards "sacair" supporters and cannot police matches properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Is there trouble often inside the grounds here? It never seems to get reported in the media here.

Sensationalised media-esic comments based on garbage and hearsay

Explains it.

I heard the GSE did a job on Tommy Hatcher's son, proper nawtty stuff. :rolleyes:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is there trouble often inside the grounds here? It never seems to get reported in the media here.

No, its very rare, most **** happens well away from the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

As a Rovers fan there tonight i have to say it was one of the best games i have been at in a long time.Atmosphere was electric and both teams gave it their all only 2 days after the first meeting.What happened at the end was a joke im not going to defend Rovers fans or knock Pats fans but it was always going to happen whoever won.And if you look at the photos its not real Rovers or Pats fans its all young lads who are great when 20 or 30 of them get together.On FM104 tonight a woman a Pats fan said she was scared for her life and her kids in thr family section of the stand,yet from where i was standing in the shed end numerous bottles where thrown from the said family section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What is the atmosphere like inside grounds, is there a tense atmosphere in the stands/terraces or is it friendly?

• Advertisement

We all know it's not

Yep, 378 league games alone this season, and out of them only a small minority would have an incident at them.
    but then again a lot of LOI supporters themselves spend a significant amount of time implying that there is in order to score points against rival clubs.

No, it's just your club and its supporters have a serious head in the sand attitude.

But that's much more your problem than it is mine.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What is the atmosphere like inside grounds, is there a tense atmosphere in the stands/terraces or is it friendly?

Generally friendly, same as anywhere Im sure, big derbys are going to be different etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Just seen the highlights and lowlights on the RTE player there.

Your man with the umbrella:D

...never a red card.

Your man with the umbrella:D

Can't believe he didn't think he'd be seen. Should be easy to identify hopefully.
    No, it's just your club and its supporters have a serious head in the sand attitude.
    But that's much more your problem than it is mine.

I've been at enough games to see 'naughtiness' from supporters of nearly all the bigger clubs on this country including yours although we would certainly have amongst the larger amounts commensurate with a larger fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I live in Inchicore and can usually hear the crowds from the games from my apartment. Didn't hear a peep tonight.

Riots ain't what they used to be.

Because most of the police in Ireland have a virulent antipathy towards "sacair" supporters and cannot police matches properly.

Thats absolute bollocks and you know it is. Head in the sand attitude blaming everyone else but your own support for the trouble they bring. Where are the match bans for troublesome support. How come law abiding fans aren't distancing themselves from the trouble makers. Its because its accepted behaviour among the supporters.

Explains it.

I heard the GSE did a job on Tommy Hatcher's son, proper nawtty stuff. :rolleyes:

What has my location got anything to do with it. I'm Irish and have witnessed first hand violence outside Dalymount park when I lived in Phibsboro last year.

You mean like just outside it, in front of Phibsboro Shopping Centre. I've also had the misfortune of travelling through a small county town while travelling support from a LOI club were there. The place was deserted and the pubs shut out of fear they would come into the town and trash the place. Admittidly that was a few years ago, but from the scenes tonight it looks like nothing has changed.

GAAheads seem to be too busy selling coke to find time for a riot.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1020/1224281544376.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What has my location got anything to do with it. I'm Irish and have witnessed first hand violence outside Dalymount park when I lived in Phibsboro last year.
    What do you care? And why do you think any LOI fans care what you think?

If some Pats fans have a problem with our current problems with a section of our support then fair enough, but why do you think we are interested in what some GAA-head barstooler thinks about it?
    OPENROAD wrote:
    What a bizarre post. Is there something stopping you going along to a match to find out?

Where are the match bans for troublesome support.

A number of clubs including ours have banned supporters.
    How come law abiding fans aren't distancing themselves from the trouble makers.

Our forums would suggest otherwise. Plus, you obviously know fuck-all LOI supporters.
    I've also had the misfortune of travelling through a small county town while travelling support from a LOI club were there. The place was deserted and the pubs shut out of fear they would come into the town and trash the place. Admittidly that was a few years ago, but from the scenes tonight it looks like nothing has changed.

Unlike you, I'm a regular attendee of LOI games all over Dublin and Ireland and I've had pre-match pints in pubs from Sligo to Longford; Cork to Dundalk and mix regularly with supporters from all clubs, including our closest rivals. I have rarely seen mass closed down pubs except for places like Phibsboro occasionally for rovers matches and that's probably at the behest of the Gardai who have wholly a unwarranted antipathy towards Bohemians.

It's incredible that you don't feel ashamed to spout such biased inaccurate Gah-venom. And more so that you appear to be doing so without censure.

The amount of policing around games in England (again something I know more about than you) is far worse but we hardly want to spoil the EPL product ****-fest in here do we?

• Advertisement
Advertisement