Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Semis & League of Ireland football this weekend, 15-17 Oct 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ah yes the usual "I was scared for my life Joe", "my screen is literally on fire full of furious and irate listeners describing the barbaric scenes last night between Athletic FC and The Tallaght Shamrocks"

Atmosphere last night was fantastic in the stands. Most of the people than ran onto the pitch did so to celebrate with the players. There were a few scumbags who ran to the pats end to throw bottles. These are not rovers or football fans, these are just scumbags with no place in football. The pats fans who hung around to thrown bottles in the direction of the rovers fans are also scumbags and have no place in football.

We all accept that these people exist, they are in the vast minority and everyone around me last night (shed end) were sining "off the pitch, off the pitch" to them so to say we are all head in the sand is a bit much.

Finally to the GAA fan on here banging his drum about the voilence in the LOI. I don't remember ever hearing of referees being attacked on the pitch or players being stabbed on the pitch at a LOI game and lets not even discuss the boot of a renault megane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

j1smithy wrote: »
    Well how come towns have to go into lock-down when certain clubs go travelling? How come phibsboro has more gardai than a busy night in Coppers when bohs are playing. Its because the fans cant have manners and have to be segregated, which is unheard of in other sports in Ireland.

you really dont have a clue do you so why even post on the subject??. ive been going to dalymount for years and yes have seen trouble(mostly gards striking out at everybody insight) but to suggest we have to be segregated from every club because OUR fans dont have any manners is moronic. shamrock rovers and maybe dundalk are the only games.

most trouble happens only because gards with your attitude are policing these games treating every man woman and child like a piece of dirt because they follow the hooligan sport of soccer(taking flags off kids as young as 5 or 6 in tallaght stadium on setanta cup final day). what happened last night was a rare event and some of the other stuff printed in papers is compleatly blown out of proportion eg bohs luas incident,rovers in dundalk.

on the otherhand ive never witnessed a ref getting attacked on the pitch or hounded by management and players after a game foaming at the mouth which isnt what i can say about the saints that is GAA supporters/players but then again one is ''passion'' and the other is hooliganism:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

CiaranC wrote: »
    What do you care? And why do you think any LOI fans care what you think?

Why do I care, well I've had to put up with that shit from LOI supporters outside Daylmount for years when I lived there. The heavy police presence, the shops closing, the blatant thuggery and violence associated with the supporters. Think I'm making it up? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=497_1224257413 and there are plenty of other examples on youtube too.

And do LOI fans care what I think? I doubt it. Some of them certainly don't seem to care what anyone thinks of them and behave accordingly.

If some Pats fans have a problem with our current problems with a section of our support then fair enough, but why do you think we are interested in what some GAA-head barstooler thinks about it?

I'm no GAA barstooler but I'm a sports fan in general. I've attended GAA, Rugby, soccer, cricket games and athletics in Ireland and its only at the LOI matches have I noticed crowd misbehaviour. Of course other sports have their problems too but they do not seem to be as bad as the one that Soccer has. If even for only a few games a year it happens, its the only sport in Ireland with enforced segregated support.

stovelid wrote: »
    A number of clubs including ours have banned supporters.

Do you think that all those that invaded the pitch last night will be banned? Will they fuck.
    Our forums would suggest otherwise. Plus, you obviously know fuck-all LOI supporters.

I know a few and while they are nice people they have a complex about how every sport is out to get them. Indeed they excuse the misbehaviour of their fans as enthusiastic support.

Unlike you, I'm a regular attendee of LOI games all over Dublin and Ireland and I've had pre-match pints in pubs from Sligo to Longford; Cork to Dundalk and mix regularly with supporters from all clubs, including our closest rivals. I have rarely seen mass closed down pubs except for places like Phibsboro occasionally for rovers matches and that's probably at the behest of the Gardai who have wholly a unwarranted antipathy towards Bohemians.

It's incredible that you don't feel ashamed to spout such biased inaccurate Gah-venom. And more so that you appear to be doing so without censure.

The amount of policing around games in England (again something I know more about than you) is far worse but we hardly want to spoil the EPL product ****-fest in here do we?

I don't think the gardai provoke any incidents, some of the Bohs fans seem well capable of causing trouble without the help of the police. Its neither nor inaccurate "Gah-venom" as you put it and I could easily dismiss what I saw last night as a one-off but I know myself its not the case. I've seen it myself that theres regularly trouble outside Dalymount at least, in addition to groups of hooded "fans" " Too ****ing easy" singing and intimidating passers by

major bill wrote: »
    you really dont have a clue do you so why even post on the subject??. ive been going to dalymount for years and yes have seen trouble(mostly gards striking out at everybody insight) but to suggest we have to be segregated from every club because OUR fans dont have any manners is moronic. shamrock rovers and maybe dundalk are the only games.

most trouble happens only because gards with your attitude are policing these games treating every man woman and child like a piece of dirt because they follow the hooligan sport of soccer(taking flags off kids as young as 5 or 6 in tallaght stadium on setanta cup final day). what happened last night was a rare event and some of the other stuff printed in papers is compleatly blown out of proportion eg bohs luas incident,rovers in dundalk.

Was it the guards that caused the incident in the clip above? Was it the Guards that caused the pitch invasion last night? Blaming someone else for the problems in your own sport is burying your head in the sand and all it will do is keep attendances down.

on the otherhand ive never witnessed a ref getting attacked on the pitch or hounded by management and players after a game foaming at the mouth which isnt what i can say about the saints that is GAA supporters/players but then again one is ''passion'' and the other is hooliganism:rolleyes:

I never said other sports were completely trouble free and GAA has its problems but at least they're trying to address the problems in their sport. But seeing as I've been pigeon holed as a GAA supporter, so tell me this, how come Rugby, which has a similar sized following to LOI doesn't have this problem? Its the culture and attitude of the "fans" thats different, it wouldn't be tolerated in rugby.

I never said other sports were completely trouble free and GAA has its problems but at least they're trying to address the problems in their sport. But seeing as I've been pigeon holed as a GAA supporter, so tell me this, how come Rugby, which has a similar sized following to LOI doesn't have this problem? Its the culture and attitude of the "fans" thats different, it wouldn't be tolerated in rugby.

Rugby doesn't have the problems LOI has? Off the pitch no but lets not metion the whole trying to scratch someones eye out and spear tackling a playing into the ground with the sole purpose of breaking their neck. The thuggish element of rugby happens on the pitch but thats ok as they are players!

You say the pitch invaders won't be banned. So far Rovers have banned a lot of fans from tallaght for going onto the field fo play. The problem is that there is no linkage between teh clubs so a player banned from Tallaght can get into Richmond or Dalymount etc... and vice versa.

The only sport you've seen crowd misbehavement is LOI yes? Well glad you weren't at the GAA game I was about a year ago when the ref got 6 of the best with a hurley stick by the "fans".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Do you think that all those that invaded the pitch last night will be banned? Will they ****.

Why should they be banned? The vast majority on the pitch last night were there to congratulate their players. Personally, I think it's wrong to go on the pitch, and it is a rare occurance in football matches, unlike gaa matches where it's the norm.
    While I would love to see gaa heads being arrested for "invading the pitch", it's not likely to happen.
    Croke Park have millions in claims against them for injuries to people who invaded pitches. That's why they have put up the big glass wall around Hill 16.
    I havn't heard of any injuries from last night, and hopefully that is the case. While it's not nice to have incidents like this, last night appears to have been handbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I don't think the gardai provoke any incidents
    You havent a clue, the Gardai provoke incidents at Dalymount several times a season, and not only with Bohs. They threw a Glentoran Union Jack flag into the bin and then baton charged Glens when they objected earlier this year.

I can only imagine the carnage if they carry their attitude against LOI fans into policing the Europa cup final this year. If they cant cope with 200 rovers 14 year olds theyve some chance against 25000 Italian or eastern European ultras.

iregk wrote: »
    Rugby doesn't have the problems LOI has? Off the pitch no but lets not metion the whole trying to scratch someones eye out and spear tackling a playing into the ground with the sole purpose of breaking their neck. The thuggish element of rugby happens on the pitch but thats ok as they are players!

I'm not trying to excuse it, but that happens in all contact sports including soccer. Can you honestly say no LOI player has ever tried to intentionally injure an opponent?!

You say the pitch invaders won't be banned. So far Rovers have banned a lot of fans from tallaght for going onto the field fo play. The problem is that there is no linkage between teh clubs so a player banned from Tallaght can get into Richmond or Dalymount etc... and vice versa.

Well thats the first step. Its also finally an acknowledgement that some of the fans are the problem, not the gardai or anyone else. If the EPL can ban supporters from all grounds then so can LOI.

The only sport you've seen crowd misbehavement is LOI yes? Well glad you weren't at the GAA game I was about a year ago when the ref got 6 of the best with a hurley stick by the "fans".

I'm not going to excuse that behaviour as I said I'm a sports fan, and I hope the people that did that were sanctioned by the GAA and the courts. My own experiences are that its only LOI supporters that have had a negative impact on my life, and its not pisshead behaviour like urinating in the street or littering my neighbourhood because that happens at every large event. Its the fact that its unsafe to go down to tesco to buy a litre of milk when the lights are on in Dalymount that bothered me.

Its the fact that its unsafe to go down to tesco to buy a litre of milk when the lights are on in Dalymount that bothered me.

Personally I'd say its unsafe to go down to tesco in that area in general!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No arrests, no injuries, some kids throwing shapes and a few empty plastic bottles at each other and a national outcry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

and there are plenty of other examples on youtube too.

I'd love to be the lad that put up the video of the "fight" outside the Hill 16 pub. He should strike up a per-reference deal.
    its only at the LOI matches have I noticed crowd misbehaviour.

Not even at GAA matches? Please note I'm from a family (and in-law family) immersed in GAA and have been to many games of all levels in the past.
    Do you think that all those that invaded the pitch last night will be banned? Will they fuck.

A rake of supporters were banned earlier in the year although, as said, last night was handbags by a minority. The majority of people (I was there albeit not on the pitch) went on to congratulate the players and left quickly and peacefully.
    they have a complex about how every sport is out to get them.

To the extent of sinking 400k on trying to put another sports club out of business because they play a foreign sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Crikey- All the years I have been living beside Dalymount and I never realised I should have been afraid of my life buying milk in Tesco!

Seriously though, while the police presence is certainly intimidating when there is a big Bohs match on, I can't honestly agree with the view that it is unsafe in Phibsboro whenever a match is on.

Certainly, there are incidents from time to time. But nothing that would have me diving for cover. While the core of the problem is the aggressive minority I think part of the problem is the draconian policing. In my experience, if it looks like the police are waiting for trouble then it's more likely to happen.

bohsfan wrote: »
    Crikey- All the years I have been living beside Dalymount and I never realised I should have been afraid of my life buying milk in Tesco!

Seriously though, while the police presence is certainly intimidating when there is a big Bohs match on, I can't honestly agree with the view that it is unsafe in Phibsboro whenever a match is on.

Certainly, there are incidents from time to time. But nothing that would have me diving for cover. While the core of the problem is the aggressive minority I think part of the problem is the draconian policing. In my experience, if it looks like the police are waiting for trouble then it's more likely to happen.

I never said I was in fear for my life. I have seen people take a hiding though outside the Shopping Centre (more than once) before and after the games despite the police presence. It certainly made me think twice about going down there for grocerys when there was a game on.

The problem is the fans - or rather a fraction of them, and the lack of willingness of the clubs, to deal with them not the police or anyone else. If it wasn't the fans that were the problem the need for segregation wouldn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

another bohs and rovers fight,just to clarify hill 16 isnt the only one caught on camera
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiWXvdo8d0

so you can imagine how many havent been caught on camera,this has been happening for years,smith is right in what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If it wasn't the fans that were the problem the need for segregation wouldn't exist.
    Would you give over, segregation is the norm in football all over the world. Do you know anything about going to football matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

It appears I'd be safer on the bar stool than at a LOI/Cup game. How come its only soccer in Ireland thats marred with spectator violence. Never heard of it occurring in Rugby, and mass violent pitch invasions in GAA don't happen, and when there was an incident, proper remedial measures were taken.

your right nothing bad ever happens in the holier than thou GAA
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=137354

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

they have a complex about how every sport is out to get them.

Honestly? Do you not see the irony laced in this comment? Honestly read up about the facist views of the GAA and come back with a proper retort.

As for funky lover's video...honestly? I've seen far far worse in school yard, perhaps we should ban school?

On aside from that... I didnt see one shamrock rovers jersey or one bohs jersey in the video. A green top alright but could have been anything. It really just looks like one group of friends against another. If they were not fighting in the name of football, I am sure they would be fighting over something else.

stovelid wrote: »
    I'd love to be the lad that put up the video of the "fight" outside the Hill 16 pub. He should strike up a per-reference deal.

Maybe he should. I thought it was better than linking to the incident at Oriel park.
    Not even at GAA matches? Please note I'm from a family (and in-law family) immersed in GAA and have been to many games of all levels in the past.

I can honestly say I've never seen opposing fans clash at a GAA or rugby or cricket match.

A rake of supporters were banned earlier in the year although, as said, last night was handbags by a minority. The majority of people (I was there albeit not on the pitch) went on to congratulate the players and left quickly and peacefully.

Well what are the chances the moron with the umbrella will get a ban? Not fucking likely. He'll be given a "quiet word" at best and told not to do it again or in other words, no sanction at all.
    To the extent of sinking 400k on trying to put another sports club out of business because they play a foreign sport?

The dislike of the two organisations is mutual but even when the olive branch is extended, such as the GAA changing fixture times to allow people to go to games of both sports, some LOI supporters will fail to acknowledge the progressive gesture.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Would you give over, segregation is the norm in football all over the world. Do you know anything about going to football matches?

Is there segregation in GAA or rugby? If not, why not because if you don't know I'll tell you. Its because the fans don't have a history of beating the shit out of one another at the first opportunity.

I never said I was in fear for my life. I have seen people take a hiding though outside the Shopping Centre (more than once) before and after the games despite the police presence. It certainly made me think twice about going down there for grocerys when there was a game on.

I know you didn't say that. Starting my second sentence with 'seriously' intimated that first comment was a bit tongue in cheek. You say you felt unsafe, I'm just saying I wouldn't- that's all.
    The problem is the fans - or rather a fraction of them, and the lack of willingness of the clubs, to deal with them not the police or anyone else. If it wasn't the fans that were the problem the need for segregation wouldn't exist.

I agreed with you that the main problem is the fans who make trouble. However, I also feel that the policing certainly contributes. The clubs are responsible for what happens inside the grounds, but it isn't up to them to police outside Tesco.

I think more collaboration between the clubs and the Gardai could be the way forward, as well as more security links between clubs themselves. If someone does thump the head off someone outside a ground they need to be a)caught by the Gardai and then b) placed on a banned register by all clubs which is properly enforced

Ebbs wrote: »
    Honestly? Do you not see the irony laced in this comment? Honestly read up about the facist views of the GAA and come back with a proper retort.

As for funky lover's video...honestly? I've seen far far worse in school yard, perhaps we should ban school?

On aside from that... I didnt see one shamrock rovers jersey or one bohs jersey in the video. A green top alright but could have been anything. It really just looks like one group of friends against another. If they were not fighting in the name of football, I am sure they would be fighting over something else.

you really havent a clue mate,have you not heard of hooligans called casuals?they dont wear jerseys they wear stone island tops etc to blend in,its a thing well known.so dont presume you sure its not bohs and rovers.i know for a fact it is.here is something that might enlighten you.

http://bscasuals.tripod.com/

• Advertisement

you really havent a clue mate,have you not heard of hooligans called casuals?they dont wear jerseys they wear stone island tops etc to blend in,its a thing well known.so dont presume you sure its not bohs and rovers.i know for a fact it is.here is something that might enlighten you.

http://bscasuals.tripod.com/

I didnt say it wasnt rovers or bohs fans. The comments show otherwise. They dont wear stone island to blend in, they wear it to stand out, as a badge of honour. Have you never seen some of the clothes they wear?

What I am saying is...that these dont go for the football. They could have been nowhere near a football ground when this happened. It could have been offseason. If groups of teens want to have a fight, they will. They are using their respective clubs as an excuse and you people are eating it up that all football fans are hooligans.

The video was taken on the 3/4/2010. Now lets have a look...
    April
    Fri 2 Apr
    L
    Rovers 0:0 U.C.D. - Tallaght Stadium 8.00pm
    report.png
    photos.png
    srfctv.png
    Mon 5 Apr
    L
    Sporting Fingal 1:1 Rovers - Morton Stadium 3.00pm

Boys will be boys. Stop blaming the clubs. We've had estates fighting for years, this is essentially the same thing but collective estates in one area fighting collective estates in another. Nothing to do with football, nothing to do with Shamrock Rovers or bohs. We shouldnt have to police these young fellas, the police should be doing it. We pay 30,000 a year for match day policing alone. Maybe they should be doing their job. Get over it.

bohsfan wrote: »
    I know you didn't say that. Starting my second sentence with 'seriously' intimated that first comment was a bit tongue in cheek. You say you felt unsafe, I'm just saying I wouldn't- that's all.

I wouldn't expect you to feel intimidated by bohs supporters since you are one of them. For an outsider like myself, its different.
    I agreed with you that the main problem is the fans who make trouble. However, I also feel that the policing certainly contributes. The clubs are responsible for what happens inside the grounds, but it isn't up to them to police outside Tesco.

I think more collaboration between the clubs and the Gardai could be the way forward, as well as more security links between clubs themselves. If someone does thump the head off someone outside a ground they need to be a)caught by the Gardai and then b) placed on a banned register by all clubs which is properly enforced

I agree with you and I understand there is little the club can do about the activities of unofficial supporters groups. The clubs and the gardai need to have a tighter no-nonsense approach to hooligans. It will only damage the sport at home and its much better in my opinion for people to be following their local club than one hundreds of miles away across the water. Supporting a local club can make a real difference rather than line the pockets of the Glazers.

But as I said, the clubs need to face up to this problem because in the long run it keeps people away. And we all know LOI is hardly overflowing with cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Honestly read up about the facist views of the GAA and come back with a proper retort.

What makes them Fascist?

I didnt say it wasnt rovers or bohs fans. The comments show otherwise. They dont wear stone island to blend in, they wear it to stand out, as a badge of honour. Have you never seen some of the clothes they wear?

What I am saying is...that these dont go for the football. They could have been nowhere near a football ground when this happened. It could have been offseason. If groups of teens want to have a fight, they will. They are using their respective clubs as an excuse and you people are eating it up that all football fans are hooligans.

The video was taken on the 3/4/2010. Now lets have a look...
    April

Fri 2 Apr

L

Rovers 0:0 U.C.D. - Tallaght Stadium 8.00pm

report.png

photos.png

srfctv.png

Mon 5 Apr

L

Sporting Fingal 1:1 Rovers - Morton Stadium 3.00pm

Boys will be boys. Stop blaming the clubs. We've had estates fighting for years, this is essentially the same thing but collective estates in one area fighting collective estates in another. Nothing to do with football, nothing to do with Shamrock Rovers or bohs. We shouldnt have to police these young fellas, the police should be doing it. We pay 30,000 a year for match day policing alone. Maybe they should be doing their job. Get over it.

well you did say you didnt see any jerseys so whos to say it was bohs and rovers.and it all started to blend in and not stand out in the crowd.

anyway thats a bit off the point.these lads do care about football and are very passionate about their club,probably more than the fans who go to the games and dont cause trouble.

fact is shamrock rovers bohs etc know the troublemakers and should be working closer with the gards.if this happend last night,it could have stopped a lot that went on.

I wouldn't expect you to feel intimidated by bohs supporters since you are one of them. For an outsider like myself, its different.

Not really. I moved up to Dublin from down the country and just happened to move to Phibsboro. I was there for a good while before I decided to support the local team. So I was an outsider- it was not different. If I had felt that way I would never had set foot inside the ground.

But again- that's just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

yes you did!?

i have seen more trouble at gaa games than at league of ireland games, and i have been going to both all my life. for any GAA fan to come out and say there is not a problem in their code is deluded. its far more wide spread in GAA than it is in football, you will have 50 year old business men and teachers attacking a ref after a bad decision in a minor match in the gaa. there is no real segration for most clubs coming to my clubs home pitch and there does be banter between the fans, whereas i have heard an unbelievable amount of threats during championship and league matches in GAA!

there is problems in both codes but the fact your saying there is none in GAA makes me think you dont have a F^*king clue what your on about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's no 'trouble' at a yachting event.

I'm still not going to go to a yachting competition.

dfx- wrote: »

I don't know... Some of those Regattas out in Dun Laoghaire can get pretty heated :p

The video you posted as proof of more football violence wasn't at a football match. There was no football on that day. Shamrock Rovers and Bohs were not even playing for another week. That took place in town by the looks of things, the game was in tallaght (not town as it looks like in the video).

All in all... we have no baring over these incidents. Its hard for "us" to identify these trouble makers due to these incidents happening down back streets...or in this case miles and miles away from the stadium. You also come across the problem of legality. People tend to fight. If there was no garda/civil case then who is to say anyone is guilty? If they were in a fight in school with a bohs fan over a pencil...would we have the right to ban them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Sorry if its been posted.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4522/

Extratime reporter Brendan White speaks to Michael O'Neill and Pete Mahon after the 1-0 win for Shamrock Rovers in the semi-final replay of the 2010 FAI Cup. Filmed by Peter O'Doherty

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4524/

Shamrock Rovers Chairman Jonathan Roche talks to the media about Rovers fans who invaded the pitch after the final whistle in the FAI Cup Semi final replay. Filmed by Peter O'Doherty

• Advertisement

The video you posted as proof of more football violence wasn't at a football match. There was no football on that day. Shamrock Rovers and Bohs were not even playing for another week. That took place in town by the looks of things, the game was in tallaght (not town as it looks like in the video).

All in all... we have no baring over these incidents. Its hard for "us" to identify these trouble makers due to these incidents happening down back streets...or in this case miles and miles away from the stadium. You also come across the problem of legality. People tend to fight. If there was no garda/civil case then who is to say anyone is guilty? If they were in a fight in school with a bohs fan over a pencil...would we have the right to ban them?

yes but the point im making is it happens all the time not just at games,so its not isloated like people think.

another example

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2010/aug/15/shamrock-rovers-fans-held-after-rampage-in-rivals-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think posting videos of organized (but still not exactly life-threatening) fights miles away from the respective grounds in question disproves your theory that the vicinity of the grounds are a war-zone.

The overwhelming majority of LOI games have a very small police presence.

Nobody here is denying that there isn't a problem only a) that it's very minor in the scheme of the overwhelming majority of safe, peaceful matches and b) the insistence that other codes are free from public-order issues.

I'd also rather just discuss the point at hand rather than dredge up articles about violence. Is the extent of the discussion that I should go off an google for articles about violence at GAA games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Sure there's always trouble at LOI games.

Galway Utd -v- Bray Wanderers, anyone?

:rolleyes:

What makes them Fascist?

Probably something to do with the Thomas Davis / Dublin County Board submission in Court which stated that " if Shamrock Rovers are given sole use of Tallaght Stadium, the youth of Tallaght will be subjected to a diet of Association Football".
    Or it might have something to do with the statement from Thomas Davis Chairman, "in a battle between Thomas davis and Shamrock Rovers, Thomas Davis will be the last man standing".
    Or it might have something to do with rule 32, or whatever it is now.

Probably something to do with the Thomas Davis / Dublin County Board submission in Court which stated that " if Shamrock Rovers are given sole use of Tallaght Stadium, the youth of Tallaght will be subjected to a diet of Association Football".
    Or it might have something to do with the statement from Thomas Davis Chairman, "in a battle between Thomas davis and Shamrock Rovers, Thomas Davis will be the last man standing".

Rule 42 has been abolished. And it was hardly Fascist but a rule made long ago when the Brits were destroying what remained of our culture. Progressive that the GAA abolished it.

And why should Rovers have the sole use of Tallaght Stadium? Wouldn't it be better for Tallaght and the local community if the stadium could be used for multiple purposes and not just footie?

And the "last man standing" remark is just arrogant, nothing more.

Some people clearly doesn't understand what Fascism is.

Rule 42 has been abolished.

Since when?

So Rovers or Pats could've played the replay in Croke Park or Parnell Park last night? Cool:cool:

Rule 42 has been abolished. And it was hardly Fascist but a rule made long ago when the Brits were destroying what remained of our culture. Progressive that the GAA abolished it.

And why should Rovers have the sole use of Tallaght Stadium? Wouldn't it be better for Tallaght and the local community if the stadium could be used for multiple purposes and not just footie?

Rovers never sought and never had sole use of Tallaght Stadium. A number of sports have already been played there.
    As far as I'm aware, "foreign" games are not allowed on GAA owned pitches. That's a fascist rule.
    Anyway, we have gone way off topic.
    On the game itself: it was hardly a free and never a sending off. It's Rovers against Co Sligo in the final and it's going to be a great spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

It is used for multiple purposes american football,rugby and football so far. Gaa doesnt need Tallaght stadium have a look around the area at the Gaa grounds they have some of the best facilities in the county.

Since when?

So Rovers or Pats could've played the replay in Croke Park or Parnell Park last night? Cool:cool:

Well essentially it has been abolished, but technically it's been amended.
    End result is the same difference anyway.

And yes the match could've been played at Croker/Parnell Park, obviously with their permission. There is no longer a rule which states that football can't be played in GAA grounds.

• Advertisement

Rovers never sought and never had sole use of Tallaght Stadium. A number of sports have already been played there.
    As far as I'm aware, "foreign" games are not allowed on GAA owned pitches. That's a fascist rule.

Rule 42 was amended. Which is why both the national football and rugger sides played in Croker. Initially, this amendment was only supposed to exist until Aviva was ready but in April the GAA voted to keep the amendment and therefor allow "foreign" games on GAA owned pitches.

It's an abolished rule.
    And it was never fascist. It was anti-colonial. Our culture was being destroyed by our colonial masters over the Irish Sea, and old rules like this allowed us to maintain some sort of national identity.
    Not Fascist in the slightest I'm afraid.

Agreed, way off topic. I'll leave it at that

Was the amendment not just referring to Croke Park? i.e. when they were played in Croker, you still couldn't play in Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Simple Stadium or wherever

Honestly surprised:)

Was the amendment not just referring to Croke Park? i.e. when they were played in Croker, you still couldn't play in Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Simple Stadium or wherever

Honestly surprised:)

Oops!
    Your right, just Croker. Didn't do my homework properly :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

It is unfortunate that what seems to have been a great night of football, as in the atmosphere from what i have seen from Dreamers vid, has been ruined by what has happened. Even more unfortunate is that the lads from both sides are on here having to defend the few C%%t$ that ruined what seemed to be as i said a great night. Looking forward to seeing the hightlights of this game on mns which probably won't do the night any justice as in what the atmo was like but hopefully they will concentrate on the football and not the nonsense that followed.

Rule 42 was only applicable to Croker, no other GAA grounds and as such today "foreign" games are banned from all other GAA facilities. However its purely selective as the GAA have in the past decided to host "foreign" games. Just not ones they feel they were in competition with. Shame they didn't ban hurling, that is after all technically a scandanavian sport but ouhhhhhhhhh thats for another discussion all together.

In any case as has been discussed there will always be some incidents at every sporting discipline. Fans are fans and they are passionate.

flas wrote: »
    yes you did!?

I know what I wrote, I said I felt unsafe
    i have seen more trouble at gaa games than at league of ireland games, and i have been going to both all my life. for any GAA fan to come out and say there is not a problem in their code is deluded. its far more wide spread in GAA than it is in football, you will have 50 year old business men and teachers attacking a ref after a bad decision in a minor match in the gaa. there is no real segration for most clubs coming to my clubs home pitch and there does be banter between the fans, whereas i have heard an unbelievable amount of threats during championship and league matches in GAA!

there is problems in both codes but the fact your saying there is none in GAA makes me think you dont have a F^*king clue what your on about.

No one has answered my the question as to why LOI fans have to be segregated. Are you to ashamed to admit that at least at some games all hell would break loose if this measure wasn't in place?

As for the comments regarding the behaviour of parents and supporters at underage level, I acknowledge that parents can go overboard when a free isn't given for their son. Its the same in soccer too. To compare like with like, LOI should be compared to Intercounty GAA, where violence among supporters rarely goes beyond mouthing off at the ref. Anything more is very much an exception. Or if you prefer to compare it to rugby, the all-Ireland league is also a fairer comparison. Again crowd trouble is very much an exception and I cannot recall any instances of it.

You're right, over half a million people went to Galway to see the Volvo Ocean Race, and there was no trouble. Now if that was half a million rovers or Bohs fans, I imagine all the troops in Afghanistan wouldn't be able to keep control on them.

frantic190 wrote: »
    Sorry if its been posted.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4522/

Shamrock Rovers Chairman Jonathan Roche talks to the media about Rovers fans who invaded the pitch after the final whistle in the FAI Cup Semi final replay. Filmed by Peter O'Doherty

Thats a fairly pathetic interview from the chairman. While I expect managers to say they didn't see controversial incidents, its utter nonsense to for the chairman to use the same line. He also tries to talk it down and talks of bans handed out, yet doesn't give numbers. There were estimates of between 75-100 people rioting in Oriel park. Did they all get bans? I wonder was mr. umbrella one of them?

I feel the problems with supporters are so ingrained its almost institutionalised. The problem has been around ever since the foundation of the league.

What ever that is, it isn't fascism. Learn what the word means before you use it.

• Advertisement

What ever that is, it isn't fascism. Learn what the word means before you use it.

+ 1

Maybe someone should start a new thread on "alleged LOI violence" before a grumpy Mod comes along... I'd imagine it will spark up quite a discussion

I said probably :-)
    I think the following definition of fascism could easily refer to the implementation of rule 42
    a system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

I said probably :-)
    I think the following definition of fascism could easily refer to the implementation of rule 42
    a system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

A one sentence summary of any politcal ideology is never to be trusted.
    Apart from Green politics, when Hippies will suffice.

Look at the origins of Rule 42. It was cultural defiance against our totalitarian colonial masters. Very much from left wing Republicans. Fascism is right wing power hungry lunatics. Rule 42 was cultural defiance against sectarianism and bigotry. Sure it's outdated now, but I find it offensive to call it Fascist considering it's origins in our struggle for independence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Is this j1smithy on a 1 man crusade to show the league of ireland as a league full of voilence riots every week,towns locked down when a game is on you cant do your shopping in around dalymount when theres a game on, he is afraid of his life of Bohs fans who intimadate passers.Im a Rovers fan going to games for the past 20 years,i go to every Bohs V Rovers game home and away and i have never felt intimadated in or around dalymount.Im not saying there is no trouble because over the years there has but it gets blown out of all proportion by people who are not there.And last night been described as a riot god you have to laugh it lasted all of 1 minute and involved 15 or 20 plastic bottles been thrown if thats a riot well lock them all up for 5 years.What happened was wrong stewarding was ****e when the final whistle went there should of been a line of stewards and garda half way in each half so if anyone got on the pitch they couldnt get near the other fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement