Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cllr Paddy Kielys Comments

Options
  • 13-10-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I was reading what he said on the front cover of the nationalist today and I was just curious as to where in Carlow the refuges that he said should be 'sent home' are or was he just talking in general about refuges in Ireland.

I'm not surprised by his comments after his "shoot the tinkers" comments last year , I have over heard him say worse after a few drinks when he's out and about , It's just a shame that people like him get in to some sort of public office on the back of a few votes . I'm looking forward to telling him to fcuk off when he comes knocking at my door :pac:

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/5492/Sport/SportsBlog.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

zeds alive wrote: »
    I was reading what he said on the front cover of the nationalist today and I was just curious as to where in Carlow the refuges that he said should be 'sent home' are or was he just talking in general about refuges in Ireland.

I'm not surprised by his comments after his "shoot the tinkers" comments last year , I have over heard him say worse after a few drinks when he's out and about , It's just a shame that people like him get in to some sort of public office on the back of a few votes . I'm looking forward to telling him to fcuk off when he comes knocking at my door :pac:

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/5492/Sport/SportsBlog.aspx

Having met Mr Kiely on several occasions i'm not surprised at his remarks either. How he was elected i'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Words of wisdom from one of the councillors at least "let's feed our own" charity begins at home especially in these hard times when people are losing their homes and asylum seekers are costing a small fortune being kept for years by the state because a decision can't be made to allow them or return them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

<snip>, if i heard him say that , id have smashed his jaw..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Words of wisdom from one of the councillors at least "let's feed our own"

"Let’s feed our own ... we’re all half-starving here.”

A bit ironic considering the councilor who said it is 30 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

You'd be "half-starving" too if he got to the buffet before ya.

It really does defy belief that such a person can hold any form of public office and surely there should be some form of sanction applied unless he retracts his comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Words of wisdom from one of the councillors at least "let's feed our own" charity begins at home especially in these hard times when people are losing their homes and asylum seekers are costing a small fortune being kept for years by the state because a decision can't be made to allow them or return them.

he does has a point...look at the dole que's sure..jobs to irish first, houses to irish first...when we're sorted then help ecveryone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

sharky86 wrote: »
    he does has a point...look at the dole que's sure..jobs to irish first, houses to irish first...when we're sorted then help ecveryone else

Attitudes like this really sicken my ass!!!:mad:

Even when times were good people bitch'd about all the benefits that "the foreigners" got, half of which were not even true.

Ask any economist, if it had not been for all the foreign labour that came into this country we would not have had half the boom we did.

It was ok when the irish were too good to work behind food counters or serve in shops but now when things are rough we'll just lash them out cause we are good enough for those jobs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Okay, first off, I don't know Paddy Kiely, but have heard a bit about him. He sounds like a bit of a throwback of some description.

On the other had, though....

Anybody who questions the need for keeping so many refugees, or suggesting that some of them are 'welfare tourists', is labled a 'Racist'.

Similarly, anybody who dares to suggest that some of our own 'Travelling Bretheren' are 'Thieving Layabouts' are automaticaly called 'Bigots'.

Mr Kiely's comments, however stupid they seem to some people do have a grain of truth about them.

Maybe it's time for some plain speaking from some of our public representatives about these issues.
    Not the usual bland PC pandering to all the minorities & special intrest groups that seem to be around these days.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

"Let’s feed our own ... we’re all half-starving here.”

A bit ironic considering the councilor who said it is 30 stone.

:D

I'm trying to find the article but I remember there was a similar scene made by Carlow politicians. A McDonald was involved and I think Denis Foley. A heated debate followed by insults, along the line of "oi Foley you should get a wig".

@mx_185@my_205

'welfare tourists', is labled a 'Racist'.

Rightly so , the therm welfare tourist is a misnomer and is wrongly used against 'foreigners' who are entitled to dole because they paid enough prsi trough working, you cannot just turn up in Ireland and go on the dole , you're required to make 104 prsi contributions before you get a cent.

Mr Kiely's comments, however stupid they seem to some people do have a grain of truth about them.

Opinions are not instantly classed as truth , they are opinions until backed up by fact.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to find the article but I remember there was a similar scene made by Carlow politicians. A McDonald was involved and I think Denis Foley. A heated debate followed by insults, along the line of "oi Foley you should get a wig".

@mx_185@my_205

I saw him at a afters of a wedding once and there was no spoon to lift out the chips out of the large bowl they were in so he just dipped his hand in and filled his plate , followed up by the comment " a hungry man is a hungry man" :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

We're talking about his comments in the paper not his personal appearance.

Don't start throwing personal insults please or i'll lock this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Right, im getting one more comment in before this thread gets locked.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Rightly so , the therm welfare tourist is a misnomer and is wrongly used against 'foreigners' who are entitled to dole because they paid enough prsi trough working, you cannot just turn up in Ireland and go on the dole , you're required to make 104 prsi contributions before you get a cent.

Not exactly true. If you don't have the PRSI paid you can apply for a means tested payment. If you satisify a means test and the Habitual Residence Condition, you will get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

racso1975 wrote: »
    Attitudes like this really sicken my ass!!!:mad:
    Thats ok because your not on my Christmas card list!

But really like there is so many Irish suffering at the minute. Surely if your son or daughter was suffering in anyway you would help them out with your last penny before giving it to your neighbor!!!

Same method applies here at a greater scale..or should apply

sharky86 wrote: »
    Thats ok because your not on my Christmas card list!

But really like there is so many Irish suffering at the minute. Surely if your son or daughter was suffering in anyway you would help them out with your last penny before giving it to your neighbor!!!

Same method applies here at a greater scale..or should apply
    An eye for an eye?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Not exactly true. If you don't have the PRSI paid you can apply for a means tested payment. If you satisify a means test and the Habitual Residence Condition, you will get paid.

Of course not exactly true , cases to the contrary can be found

But habitual resident basically means you have to have a genuine link to Ireland and a genuine reason to be in Ireland .

I seen my brother go through the whole thing with his wife , they met while he was working abroad and shes from eastern Europe , she worked here for just 6 months when they moved back here . Then things went tits up in Ireland and both of them were out of work and she was flatly refused everything on the grounds of not being from Ireland and having not paid enough prsi and not having a genuine link to here... regardless of them living together and being engaged and also being together for 23 years previous to moving to ireland , numerous appeals failed , in the end they got married and that solved the problem.
    In the case of genuine refugees(people from areas of conflict) we are obliged by the Lisbon treaty(and others) to accept them and care for them but the stupid part is we are obliged to give them dole but they are not allowed to work if they want while thy are refuges :?
    I recently read a report that said we are the 3rd hardest country in Europe to get dole out of as a European citizen , I'm trying to find the report , ill post it if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

super-rush wrote: »
    How he was elected i'll never know.

Perhaps people agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

In the case of genuine refugees(people from areas of conflict) we are obliged by the Lisbon treaty(and others) to accept them and care for them but the stupid part is we are obliged to give them dole but they are not allowed to work if they want while thy are refuges :?

I don't think that's true either. They can't get any social welfare until they are granted a GNIB card. I'll have to look that one up to be sure though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

An eye for an eye?

...makes the whole world blind.

testicle wrote: »
    Perhaps people agree with him.

According to the last election vote break down , 74 people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I know the way he speaks is a bit rough but he does have a valid point! Ive seen Irish families lose out on housing and it just doesnt seem right and in my opinion hes dead right. Kiely FTW!!!

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Ive seen Irish families lose out on housing
    I keep seeing irish families loosing out on housing down here to other irish families who are better "connected" and get bumped up the list. Apparently time on the housing list doesnt matter if someone knows the right people.

"At the meeting, cllr Kiely spoke of his outrage at the fact “they’re in this country getting three square meals a day” while there’s “seven to ten people living in three-bedroom houses in this town and they’re not cribbing; they’re waiting on the housing list.”"

Actually there is no refugees in Bagenalstown , the people he's talking about are Eastern Europeans who are entitled to be here.

The point hes trying to get across is that Irish peoples welfare, people who have been here all their lives, should be held in a higher regard than Irish immigrants. Ive no doubt that most immigrants work hard and pay their dues while they're here but sometimes their welfare situation is favored over an Irish citizens which isn't right to be honest. I also agree some Irish citizens be deported for being lazy cnuts so I'm not that biased:P!

Head into a doll office on signing day and you'll see exactly what hes talking about. An Irish man/woman would feel like they're in another country. The ratio there is about 10:1 with the Irish person being the minority. Its a fact that some immigrants come here solely for the welfare packages and its effecting our citizens/economy. I agree with the situation if an immigrant worked here for 10 years and was recently let go to be claiming his tax back but to stay indefinitely on welfare isn't right.

This topic should be closed cos its inevitably going to lead to flamming!

Dboy85 wrote: »
    I agree with the situation if an immigrant worked here for 10 years and was recently let go to be claiming his tax back but to stay indefinitely on welfare isn't right.
    I agree with most of what you said , but if someone has chosen to come and work and make a life for themselves in Ireland and over those years contributed to Ireland via tax etc , then why should they have to leave if there isn't work right now? if they worked before they will work again.
    As regards people on welfare indefinitely ,I see generations of the same families(I can think of at least 15) here claiming dole for 25+years and making absolutely no effort to take themselves out of that situation and making zero contributions to justify getting what they do , but it doesn't seem to cause as much friction as an Eastern European claiming dole that he/she is entitled to due to making prsi contributions.

The topics doing ok , no flaming yet ;)

As regards people on welfare indefinitely ,I see generations of the same families(I can think of at least 15) here claiming dole for 25+years and making absolutely no effort to take themselves out of that situation and making zero contributions to justify getting what they do

These are the citizens that should be deported :rolleyes: Lazy good for nothings with no interest in furthering themselves or contributing towards their country. Its gas cos they'll be the first to give out about tax hikes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have said it before and will say it here those convicted of anti social behaviour should be denied any and all welfare benefits for them and their family for set periods of time as those needing the protections of the state should have a bit of respect for the state they seek welfare and protection from! this will sort out the wasters and hash head scumbags from the decent members of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i have said it before and will say it here those convicted of anti social behaviour should be denied any and all welfare benefits for them and their family for set periods of time as those needing the protections of the state should have a bit of respect for the state they seek welfare and protection from! this will sort out the wasters and hash head scumbags from the decent members of society.

hash head scumbags ha ha you really need to get out more..

by the way iv said it plenty of times on boards but i live in a neighbourhood with lots of foreigners ( both EU and rest of world ) and i must say most of these people work or study and never put in or out with anybody else ( particularly the coloured ). The employers in Ireland couldnt get enough of foreigners during the boom , they barely wanted any of us and people have the cheek to come on here and criticize the immigrants. Do ye not think other countries are getting a bit sick of irish emigration too..

We have always been an island with immigrants, sure look at the north east at least the new wave of immigrants understand this is Ireland and integrate with us.. You cant blame the immigrants for coming but you can blame our own for letting in too many at the time, with all the emigration of irish at the moment at least the foreigners here can help keep our population from not dropping too much ......

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    with all the emigration of irish at the moment at least the foreigners here can help keep our population from not dropping too much ......

God only knows we needed a fresh injection of new genetics , just look at all the big heads and beady eyes in Ireland , to much inbreeding gone on :pac:

Advertisement