Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecwid vs OsCommerce

Options
  • 13-10-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone inform me as to what the benefits are of using OsCommerce over Ecwid? I am using Ecwid at the moment for a small store with only 20ish products but the stock will go. Is it worth my while changing over now or is Ecwid adequate enough for this.

THanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

We have used both. The benefit of Ecwid is that it is incredibly easy for someone that has limited or no design abilities. The down side is that it has no flexibility if you have a more complicated product specifications. You can't move to a new host and thus flexibility is out-of-the-question.

OS has all the options that you could possibly want ...but you better know a fair amount of php, html, css, etc to get it off the ground in the desired layout. It is as flexible as you need, but it is complicated for beginner designers.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks for the reply. I've used both and have designed but not operated an Osc store. Ecwid is simlple as can be to integrate but there doesnt seem to be much flexibility as you said unless you want to upgrade and pay 17 quid a month or something like that. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you're looking at OSCommerce, then I would go with Zen Cart instead. It's based on OSCommerce, but has a lot more features as standard, and it also has templates - so the code and presentation is separated a little better.

Advertisement