Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Double Decker Buses for Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There's actually less seats downstairs on the Double Deckers. Don't see the point of them to be honest.

A few less seats downstairs but a lot more seats overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Realistically this bus will have been on since the driver started at 7 or whenever, so it's not really overkill if it was being used in the morning rush.

Erm, it was Sunday. Not a big morning rush day ;-)

Re the point of 'em with less seating downstairs: if it was me, I'd rip out all but a dozen seats (for old, pregnant and disabled people), and have the rest as standing space with lots of rails to hold on to. Extra capacity and fights obesity at the same time.

I saw one today. It was filthy.

I guess Bus Eireann don't have a double height bus wash in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

In fairness its hard to keep any vehicle looking well in the present conditions with slush and all sorts of other crap on the roads, especially if the more prominent colour on a double decker in Bus Eireann livery would be white,

westgolf

double_deck_bus.jpg
    Doughiska bus route tops million passengers in year

December 7, 2010 - 7:30am New road corridor through HSE lands at Merlin Park in pipeline

BY FRANK FARRAGHER
    The success of the Doughiska-city centre bus service – now carrying an incredible one million passengers every year – could help to free-up funding for the roll-out of many more public transport corridors in the city over the next couple of years.

Bus Éireann confirmed to the Sentinel that passenger numbers on the No 9 Doughiska to city centre bus service had now reached the one million a year mark, accounting for about one third of revenue for the company in the city.

Brian Connolly, Bus Éireann Area Manager, said the success of this route had demonstrated quite clearly that public transport had huge potential for further expansion in the city, adding that the Dublin Road bus corridor had contributed hugely to the smooth running of this service.

“The Dublin Road bus corridor has been an overwhelming success and I would like to acknowledge the commitment and pro-active approach of the City Council to the provision of bus corridors in the city,” said Mr Connolly.
    The city has also a number of design plans in place which could further streamline the service to the greater Doughiska area, including an exclusive public transport road corridor through the HSE lands at Merlin Park from the Galway Crystal outlet to the Doughiska Road.

The City Council has confirmed that it has an agreement in place with the HSE for the provision of this route over the coming years with early design plans in place for the road link, which will be dependent on funding from the Department of Transport.

Design plans are also in place for public transport bus corridors on the Monivea Road, Rahoon Road and Dock Road over the coming years, while work is already well under way on the Seamus Quirke Road, with a bus corridor link scheduled to be in operation in both directions from late next year.
    Link

• Advertisement

Ya there's only one i think... a 02 reg.
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I saw three double decker buses in the BE yard when passing by on the train a couple of weeks ago. Was the middle of the day when I passed so there could be more than three (one or more other buses out on the road at the same time as I saw the three in the yard).

KevR wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I saw three double decker buses in the BE yard when passing by on the train a couple of weeks ago. Was the middle of the day when I passed so there could be more than three (one or more other buses out on the road at the same time as I saw the three in the yard).

There was only one initially anyway.

Although I even noticed the increase myself as I passed two out just before xmas beside GMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, I've been trying to spot the number on each.

I'm not totally obsessive :D so didn't try to do this initially. It only occurred to me when I happened to see three of 'em not together, but in such a way that I realised there must be at least three.

Have only got DD11 so far, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement