Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Keenan All Star!

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Well done to Paddy Keenan Louths first ever All Star,the biggest accolade for a player from the wee county since `57.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Fair play to him, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fair play to paddy,a well deserved gong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Delighted for him, fair play.

Also selected for the International Rules Series which is on in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Good stuff, fair play to Paddy on both counts, delighted he got an All Star and hope he does the Wee County proud representing Ireland.
    He was superb to watch the season just gone, as indeed was the whole Louth team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 irjudge

Great stuff, a trip to croker to support him is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

i`m going to go against the grain here and ask what did Keenan actually do to deserve an All Star. He was robbed of a Leinster winners medal, that is not in doubt, but I think the award was made because of this.
    Dont get me wrong, he is a hell of a footballer, but to say that he was one of the two best midfielders in Ireland this year is preposterous.

The pundits and commentators were lauding Paddy's performances and talking up an all star nomination before the Leinster final.

lol at the irony in your last sentance.

The pundits and commentators were lauding Paddy's performances and talking up an all star nomination before the Leinster final.

I dont listen to LMFM.

http://www.tvguideireland.com/detail.asp?id=76525983

Watch the programme and find out WHY the pundits picked the teams that they did.

• Advertisement

"Arguably the most popular of tonight's winners, Paddy has lead from the front with Louth since his Championship introduction in 2003"

A great introduction to the awards ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

TommyT wrote: »
    i`m going to go against the grain here and ask what did Keenan actually do to deserve an All Star. He was robbed of a Leinster winners medal, that is not in doubt, but I think the award was made because of this.
    Dont get me wrong, he is a hell of a footballer, but to say that he was one of the two best midfielders in Ireland this year is preposterous.

Who are the two best so?

Keenan:

Man of the Match against Longford, Westmeath and Kildare, Excellent against Meath and also in the second half against Dublin, according to National newspapers and National TV that is, oh and LMFM. But what would they know, preposterous indeed!

I dont listen to LMFM.
    You make it obvious that you do:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smcque

well done paddy,great achievement:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

Well done Paddy

Who are the two best so?

Keenan:

Man of the Match against Longford, Westmeath and Kildare, Excellent against Meath and also in the second half against Dublin, according to National newspapers and National TV that is, oh and LMFM. But what would they know, preposterous indeed!

Both Cork midfielders, any of the 3 Down midfielders. McCauley of Dublin. I could go on, but you ve heard it all before I am sure.
    I am not taking anything away from Keenan, but if the GAA had any balls, he would have got a Leinster winners medal and wouldnt have even got a nomination for an All Star. All in my opinion of course.

He was man of the match in the second half against Dublin? I must have missed that, he should have turned up for the first half and took the rest of the Louth team with him. The game was over as a contest after 15 minutes. In fact the game was over as a contest long before the ball was thrown in, but dont let the facts get in the way.
    Fair play to the Dubs and their fans, they gave Louth a great send off in Croke Park that day, I was there and was proud of the reception they got. I was there supporting Louth in the Leinster final as well, but I think we are letting emotion get the better of us where the All Stars are concerned.
    Anyway, history will show that Paddy has an All Star and thats all that matters. We wont even mention Charlie Harrison. ;-)

Both Cork midfielders, any of the 3 Down midfielders. McCauley of Dublin. I could go on, but you ve heard it all before I am sure.
    I am not taking anything away from Keenan, but if the GAA had any balls, he would have got a Leinster winners medal and wouldnt have even got a nomination for an All Star. All in my opinion of course.

He was man of the match in the second half against Dublin? I must have missed that, he should have turned up for the first half and took the rest of the Louth team with him. The game was over as a contest after 15 minutes. In fact the game was over as a contest long before the ball was thrown in, but dont let the facts get in the way.
    Fair play to the Dubs and their fans, they gave Louth a great send off in Croke Park that day, I was there and was proud of the reception they got. I was there supporting Louth in the Leinster final as well, but I think we are letting emotion get the better of us where the All Stars are concerned.
    Anyway, history will show that Paddy has an All Star and thats all that matters. We wont even mention Charlie Harrison. ;-)

No mention of Man of the match against Dublin in the 2nd half (excellent). Do you reckon if Keenan or indeed John Galvin, had been playing with either Cork or Down they would have started? I think at least one or both would have with Cork and definately both with Down. The All Stars are judged on individual performances thankfully! which allow players like Keenan who hail from the smaller counties, the recognition they deserve. And remember Murphy came on for Cork in a lot of matches showing Cork's strength in depth, not to mention the excellent palyers Cork, Down and Dublin had supporting their respective midfielders. I dont think the team was judged on emotion, merely the facts presented throughout the championship. "It sounds to me that you are indeed taking something away from Keenan".

The All Stars are indeed judged on individual performances, but there are some very strange inclusions. Keenan and Harrison being the two that stand out in particular. Keenan would not make the Down team, I wonder did the selection panel see any of Downs games all year where Kalum King in particular was outstanding. He was arguably Downs best player, I saw every game, so I know what I am talking about. Ambrose Rogers had a bigger influence than most this year, even though he missed half the year, yet didnt even get a nomination.
    The All Star selection panel have tried to do what the GAA didnt have the courage to do. In a way its no bad thing, but it doesnt come close to making up for the robbery that took place in Croke Park in July. Paddy is a hell of a player and you couldnt meet a nicer, more unassuming man, but I just dont think he was one of the two best midfielders in the country in 2010.

The All Stars are indeed judged on individual performances, but there are some very strange inclusions. Keenan and Harrison being the two that stand out in particular. Keenan would not make the Down team, I wonder did the selection panel see any of Downs games all year where Kalum King in particular was outstanding. He was arguably Downs best player, I saw every game, so I know what I am talking about. Ambrose Rogers had a bigger influence than most this year, even though he missed half the year, yet didnt even get a nomination.
    The All Star selection panel have tried to do what the GAA didnt have the courage to do. In a way its no bad thing, but it doesnt come close to making up for the robbery that took place in Croke Park in July. Paddy is a hell of a player and you couldnt meet a nicer, more unassuming man, but I just dont think he was one of the two best midfielders in the country in 2010.

I saw the game against Tyrone, defiinately Keenan would have made that team, and it was in my opinion, the introduction of Murphy at midfield in the second half that inspired Cork to ovecome Down in the final. A Nicholas Murphy that Paddy had matched or bettered when in his prime some years earlier in Portlaoise.

Your response's seems to suggest you are a Down man Tommy T & though our opinions may differ I respect your's and suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Down man indeed. Strange All Star team this year. No Down defenders, no Cork forwards. Harrison, the Gooch???
    At the end of the day Paddy is an All Star. All I have is an U14 B reserve league runners up medal and even then I was a sub and we only had 14 players in the final. Good luck to him, he is a sound lad, even if he hid from Jackie Lynch in Drogheda a few times. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

have to agree with tommyt on this one and think that paddy k himself would rather a leinster medal generally good players from bad teams dont get allstars louth had good players before

Post deleted. TommyT, you've made your point. Any more posts like that will be viewed as trolling and treated in such a manner.

Is discussion not allowed on boards.ie?

The post I deleted was either a failed attempt at humour or you were trolling. Either way it's staying deleted and the warning stands. Do not reply to this post on-thread.

His peers in the GPA also agree with Paddys tremendous contribution this year:

2010 Opel Gaelic Team of the Year for Football:
    1 Brendan McVeigh (Down)
    2 Charlie Harrison (Sligo)
    3 Michael Shields (Cork)
    4 Philly McMahon (Dublin)
    5 Kevin McKernan (Down)
    6 Emmet Bolton (Kildare)
    7 Paudie Kissane (Cork)
    8 Paddy Keenan ( Louth)
    9 John Galvin (Limerick)
    10 Daniel Hughes (Down)
    11 Martin Clarke (Down)
    12 John Doyle (Kildare)
    13 Daniel Goulding (Cork)
    14 Benny Coulter (Down)
    15 Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

Obviously his fellow players in the GPA also felt a bit sorry for Paddy missing out on a Leinster medal so they've given him the sympathy vote onto the team.

.:rolleyes:

Advertisement