Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination or not?!

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Im a 26 year old Irish female who is epileptic and currently on medication.
    Ive had trouble with employment for years, trying to get a few hours a week to help keep me going.
    I am on social welfare but I can do the FAS CE scheme or go on the Back to Work Allowance. Im not the "stereotypical" type who sticks to social welfare for the sake of it, as many think. I am willing to work.

I am a qualified Visual Merchandiser and also a qualified Veterinary Assistant, I also have an Art, Craft and Design cert (art was my first choice for years).
    The problem is, whenever I went for interviews in the past (visual merchandiser jobs), when I mentioned Im epileptic, the look on the face said it all and I never heard back or Id get rejected (Isn't it best they know incase I have a seizure which is unlikely but possible). When I was 18 and got a job as a chamber maid in a 4 star hotel in Waterford, I didnt tell them I was epileptic, my referee did and the hotel laid me off.

I now really want to work with animals or do voluntary work but 99% of the jobs require someone with a license. I cannot drive due to the epilepsy. I find this upsetting and frustrating as Im eager to get out there.
    Many of the Visual Merchandiser jobs require a license too which I wish I knew before the course.
    Does anyone have any opinions or any explanations please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If your job requires driving and you are not able to drive, it's too bad really.
    Blind people aren't allowed to drive either.

As for the job as chambermaid.. I have no idea why your referee would have brought it up and I've no idea why it would get you fired from the job. That sounds like discrimination. But as for being turned down for jobs that require you to drive, that doesn't sound like discrimination to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,507 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The job situation at the moment is very bad anyway, so jobs are few and far between for anyone.

It is not reasonable to expect to do a job that requires driving at the moment. You should make some enquiries but I think if you do not have an attack for a certain length of time you may be allowed to drive.

How do you approach telling your prospective employers? Many people do not know a lot about it and if you just say baldly, I'm epileptic, you could frighten them off. Find a way of phrasing it so that you tell them the truth, but in a down-played way. You might say, 'I have a medical issue which I feel I have to tell you about, but I am on medication and it has not been a problem at all for the past .... months/years. I have had problems with epilepsy, but it is now under control.'

Of course if it is not yet under control you might be better to do a training course in the meantime while you are trying to sort your medication.

I have a friend who is epileptic but has been holding down a job as a fully qualified electrician for a good number of years. He is not allowed to work up high ladders or in roofs, but this has not held him back and he has been in employment constantly. He can drive now as he has not had a seizure in several years. It might sound like a strange occupation in the circumstances but he has been fine.

Good luck with the job hunt, but don't blame all your unsuccessful interviews on your medical condition, its very competitive out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    If your job requires driving and you are not able to drive, it's too bad really.
    Blind people aren't allowed to drive either.

As for the job as chambermaid.. I have no idea why your referee would have brought it up and I've no idea why it would get you fired from the job. That sounds like discrimination. But as for being turned down for jobs that require you to drive, that doesn't sound like discrimination to me.

usual job applications ask you to mention any medical issue you have. Now if you dont report something like that and they find out you were dishonest on your application forms and they are allowing you into peoples room etc, Sorry its pretty normal to fire someone who has lied on their application end of.

as for the OP I feel really bad as I know two friends like you in similar situations because of this crappy illness

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Thank you looksee and gerrycollins for your advice etc. i really appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, I still have seizures, my last one was a grand mal a few weeks ago. I also get semi partial when im awake which is like going in to a trance and I tend to do strange things like fix peoples clothes or curl up on the ground. I usually only have the grand mal when I am asleep. Most of the fits are triggered by tiredness and stress.
    Ive had many in college in both courses. When i was a waitress years ago, I began having seizures between my shifts and had to quit.

About the employment, I was told you dont have to tell of your private medical conditions but then, they may have a right to sack you if you dont. Its confusing!

I dont mean to blame all interviews on the condition, I understand that now of all times is the most competitive. I just cant see whats wrong with being a passenger in a van/car while doing animal rescue (my dream job) etc. I also understand that the blind and other disabled may be in a more difficult situation.

My philosophy in life is..."Theres always somebody worse off than you, no matter what".

Fingers crossed, I get to work in either art or the animal industry sometime in the future and good luck to everyone else out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Be wary of seizures around animals, any animal could snap at you if you begin to have one in their direct vicinity (It will frighten them) Otherwise you should be fine so long as you aren't working on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dogs, and possibly other animals, can detect when a seizure is about to start. As another poster said, this could cause unpredictable behaviour in the animal. It's something to keep in mind.

Could you investigate options that would allow you to work from home?

Ive had my own dogs for years, none ever attacked but they did get frights. Im lucky enough not to have severe epilepsy where you have seizures all day, every day. I tend to got through phases where I get a load at once, for a few days or weeks then none for a month or so then they return. Im due an appointment with a new neurologist soon thankfully.

Ive worked in a vets doing work experience in the past year, during my veterinary course which i loved and found it interesting. i dealt with the animals all day and helped with surgery so its rare I get them during work. If I feel one coming on, I sit down or try tell someone before the trance takes over.

With the visual merchandising jobs, the problem is usually safety and embarrassment Id say incase I have one in public in the department store or fall through the display window. Also most visual display employers are chain fashion stores around Ireland which require travelling around to all the stores. From what I know...if you dont have a seizure for a year then you can get a license but I still get them.

Like I already said though, theres people worse off so Im lucky and grateful to still have an independant enough life, ( I live with my boyfriend who helps alot and has saved my life a number of times). Im so grateful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have a relative who has epilepsy, its always heartening to hear of people living full lives despite the hand dealt to them. :)

Its nice of many people to listen and understand. It can be a difficult condition and can cause alot of bumps in life. It is also possible to damage fertility with the medication and alot more.

I support anyone with employment issues due to medical conditions. If anyone knows of anymore employment laws that link to medical conditions etc. or have been in the same situation or know of someone...im still all eyes.

Thanks for your support and comments.

Advertisement