Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balcony above extension/flat roof

Options
  • 13-10-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Can anyone advise please? We would like to extend at the back of the hous - approx 40m squared. If we wanted to make the roof or part of the roof a balcony would we require planning and would it cost a lot extra?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

40m are you sure it is that big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HevB

Hi there

We're just exploring options at the moment (extension not yet built) but yes - the length of the house is 10m and good size width of room would be 4m wouldn't it? We are hoping for a dining room, sun room style room and play room/office within that space.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

HevB wrote: »
    Can anyone advise please? We would like to extend at the back of the hous - approx 40m squared. If we wanted to make the roof or part of the roof a balcony would we require planning and would it cost a lot extra?

Thanks
    No idea of the cost but a balcony above an extension will require planning permission regardless of the size of the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just a note: if it is a balcony, and not a roof only, it will cost extra as it becomes a structural floor........and all that that entails. Make sure if you go down that road, that it is designed and priced accordingly.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement