Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole saw for drilling through an RSJ?

• 13-10-2010 9:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what would be the best type of hole saw for drilling through an RSJ beam/girder.

Need to get a 20-22mm hole drilled through an RSJ in order to get a power cable installed.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what would be the best type of hole saw for drilling through an RSJ beam/girder.

Need to get a 20-22mm hole drilled through an RSJ in order to get a power cable installed.

Thanks.:)

None, You'll need to hire a Mag Drill (Magnetic Drill) from a tool hire shop with the appropriate bit to broach the steel. Regular bits won't do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

None, You'll need to hire a Mag Drill (Magnetic Drill) from a tool hire shop with the appropriate bit to broach the steel. Regular bits won't do it.

Problem is that the RSJ is allready in place and floor boards above it are lifted to run the power cable.

the plumber put a 20mm hole through another RSJ in my extension a while ago,using a hole saw,but he went through 2 20mm holes saws to make the hole in the RSJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A 22mm hole is possible with a standard holesaw,drill a pilot hole first to match the holesaw bit, keep your drill speed reasonably slow and keep the saw well lubricated.

aujopimur wrote: »
    A 22mm hole is possible with a standard holesaw,drill a pilot hole first to match the holesaw bit, keep your drill speed reasonably slow and keep the saw well lubricated.

Thanks for that.So drill small pilot hole 1st.a HSS steel bit then?

What type of lubrication?

WD40 ok to use??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A holesaw usualy has a 6mm. bit, so pilot hole 6mm.
    Don't use the holesaw to drill the pilot hole as they tend to snap off when it breaks thru'
    Use engine oil (5/40 10/40 or similar) in one of those oil cans with a flexi neck, WD40 is too light it will just burn away.
    An assistant to do the oiling would make the job easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i would use a light oil or even water to pour on the drill. Lots and lots. We use a little bit of animal based oil mixed with a gallon of water to keep drills and cutters cool in engineering. use lots WD40. dont spare it.

Its not for lubrication. Its to stop heat build up. A hot drill will lose its edge very quickly. Also a hot drill will harden the material being machined

keep it cool and clear and it will last the job.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

+1 for standard hole saw, as above you could go through a couple of them but cheaper than renting large drill!!

Sorted now.

5mm HSS bit as a pilot hole,gear oil as lube.Cordless 18V drill set on low speed.And then a 22mm HSS steel hole saw.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Treflex for the conduid threading works well on that sort of thing, it melts and runs into the curcular groove the blade is making, i did a few that way before. Just keep dipping the hole saw into it.

Advertisement