Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Spy nightclub on Dublin's Southwilliam street?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I know that it's War night moved to Andrew's Lane Theatre but what actually happened :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you

it's called SPY for a reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

There's enough hipster clubs in the city.
    Go ask in the Dublin forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Russians seized it afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

It was a double agent and defected :P Or its gone undercover as an old mans pub :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

Not enough ****wits to go around all these **** pubs, so some of them had to shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

On noes! Oh my f*cking God!

Did a night that used to be in one location move to another location????? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

God Jaysus - what will we do?

Could we perchance, just go to the new location?

No!

God Lord! That would just, y'know, make sense.

Spy nightclub can f*ck off - it's full of wannabe scenesters that have no idea where the scene is.

Sh*te eejits with sh*te haircuts.

But what REALLY happened?

Hmmm....... who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

War night?? Sounds delightful... :)

KeithM89 wrote: »
    War night?? Sounds delightful... :)

But what is it good for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Spy nightclub can f*ck off - it's full of wannabe scenesters that have no idea where the scene is.

Hmmm....... who cares?
    Disagree with you for once.

Went to War at Spy a few months back and had one of the best nights of my life. Felt very safe inside, no scumbags, just a load of people getting drunk and having a laugh, dancing on chairs, tables etc. and the bouncers letting us away with it. Ended up dancing topless outside for a few minutes afterwards with what I am told was a gorup of gay lads. I did not care. Classy joint. Even got the shift off one of the promo staff working there. She was hot.

So, eh, thumbs up for Spy.

K4t wrote: »

Went to War at Spy a few months back and had one of the best nights of my life. Felt very safe inside, no scumbags, just a load of people getting drunk and having a laugh, dancing on chairs, tables etc. and the bouncers letting us away with it. Ended up dancing topless outside for a few minutes afterwards with what I am told was a gorup of gay lads. I did not care. Classy joint. Even got the shift off one of the promo staff working there. She was hot.

So you danced topless with a bunch of gay lads but aren't gay yourself?

Yup. Full of Scenesters, just as I said.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

Same here, used to go quite a bit and always had a good night there. There was a very relaxed atmosphere even in the dancefloor room, they used to have some big name djs too , crookers, dr lektroluv, boys noize, sebastian, michael mayer, etc.

So yeah I also thought it was a great spot and had brill nights out there, it was one place you could always be sure to avoid scumbags, if that makes me a "scenester" or whatever , then fair enough.

If people just focused on having a good night out in nightclubs, instead of worrying about labelling everyone then they would be much happier :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Haha I'm no scenester, Boy, but think what you like. Definitely one of the best nights out I've had. I've been in some dodgy places throughout the country in my time. It was just nice to be able to go out and get drunk and go mental in a club without fear of being started on or being thrown out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doneg Al

Case closed, we can all go home folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I was there only once, packed with scenesters so I left ASAP. Won't miss the place at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Barna77 wrote: »
    I was there only once, packed with scenesters so I left ASAP. Won't miss the place at all.

You shouldve had a nude dance with the gay lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Bankrupt AFAIK. Good riddance tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hmmm....... who cares?

+1

Add on the bouncers were fairly arrogant, tenner in and €5 something for a pint.

Think it closed down because of a row with DJ's as the club wouldn't pay them or some crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Did a night that used to be in one location move to another location????? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No!

Spy was the venue you ****ing nonce.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Spy was the venue you ****ing nonce.

I was referring to the War night referred to in the OP. If you read my post properly you'll see I refer to Spy nightclub so I'm perfectly aware it's the venue.

But y'know, feel free to get yourself nice and worked up there young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The bouncers were a nightmare and they really were taking the mick not paying promotors or DJS who got so many people into the place who were happy to pay stupid money for a drink.

On a side note what happened to Ron Blacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

No!

Hmmm....... who cares?

Eh? Clearly I do if I asked. Just wanted to know about the club in general. I was never a big fan of the war nights but had a few good ones in there and wanted to know where it went. I don't remember the names of the other nights. Is that OK?

"Yea! Lets judge the clientele by their haircuts!" (pumps fist in air)
    So, where is the scene REALLY at man?

dazey wrote: »
    Eh? Clearly I do if I asked. Just wanted to know about the club in general. I was never a big fan of the war nights but had a few good ones in there and wanted to know where it went. I don't remember the names of the other nights. Is that OK?

"Yea! Lets judge the clientele by their haircuts!" (pumps fist in air)
    So, where is the scene REALLY at man?

You asked the question in After Hours so I answered it in After Hours fashion.

If you only wanted serious answers you should have posted it in this forum first.

I don't know or care where the scene is at. I was being facetious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's all very well, but this thread is in Dublin City now, please post appropriately from now on.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Think it closed down because of a row with DJ's as the club wouldn't pay them or some crap like that.

Not true, the row was a consequence of it closing down, not the reason. Basically were going to close down, and told nothing to the promoters/DJs except that they weren't getting paid. Went into receivership as far as I know, heard it was going to re-open as a mainstream Copper's type money-maker. Haven't heard anything since though.

Anyway, lol at the ignorance of the general public as represented by this forum. 'Why'd it close down?' 'I don't know, but who cares if it's closed down, it was only full of gays and scenesters anyway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Anyway, lol at the ignorance of the general public as represented by this forum. 'Why'd it close down?' 'I don't know, but who cares if it's closed down, it was only full of gays and scenesters anyway'.

Here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Not true, the row was a consequence of it closing down, not the reason. Basically were going to close down, and told nothing to the promoters/DJs except that they weren't getting paid. Went into receivership as far as I know, heard it was going to re-open as a mainstream Copper's type money-maker. Haven't heard anything since though.

Oh no :(. Dublin has enough ****ty nightclubs without needing one more.

Oh yes the 'general public'. Let's all look down our noses at them, how dare they have an opinion on something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Oh yes the 'general public'. Let's all look down our noses at them, how dare they have an opinion on something!

So I assume you also think it's ok that the general public is slightly racist, and homophobic?

Advertisement