Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smpsys.exe error and missing icons in taskbar!

• 13-10-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, need a little help. Friend has a packard bell desktop computer and recently its started displaying "smpsys.exe has stopped working" error, when this happens the icons in the bottom left of the taskbar arent visible and cant access internet explorer or google chrome. So have to restart the computer several times to get the computer to work properly.
    Have searched online an found several "solutions" that didnt do anything.
    tried uninstalling "pc start up" (a programme pre-installed by PB), tried looking in taskbar properties and running "explorer.exe.".
    Really out of ideas and websites. Sorry for the lenght of the post.
    Any and all help will REALLY be appreciated.
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi,
    smpsys.exe is part of PB's 'Setup my PC' so it sounds like it didn't uninstall right. Please reply with the Operating System (e.g. Windows Vista) and also describe as precisely as you can how you uninstalled 'Setup my PC'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ellahops

Its a vista os. I uninstalled it using the "programs and features" in control panel. It said it uninstalled completely at the time, but ill recheck it today and make sure its completely off the system.
    Thanks Razzuh for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

More information on it here.

http://www.what-is-exe.com/filenames/smpsys-exe.html

Do you have the setup disks with the PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ellahops

Thanks chin grin, I found that site yesterday. Friend cant find any of the disks that came with pc.
    the "pc start up" had been completely uninstalled. But since uninstalling it, the other account on the computer stopped responding properly, ie. missing taskbar icons and totally unresponsive programes, so i reinstalled it and its working properly now. No error msg and the other account is working properly now. So thanks for help on that.
    There is, however, still the problem with missing taskbar icons on the main account on the computer. The computer starts fine but the icons in the bottom left dont show and i cant access certain programmes (like internet explorer or google chrome). The only way around this is to double click on kaspersky which then shows in the taskbar and the programmes and computer seem to function normally which is a simple work around. But im concerned that this might be a sign of something more serious at the startup and just looking for any help regarding this.
    Thanks again for your help, its hugely appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi, sounds like your problem is being caused by an old version of kaspersky. You should be ok with version 8.0.0.506 or greater. If you have a current license you can download the latest version here:
    http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/productupdates

You need to uninstall your current version first. When you uninstall your current version you will have the option of not uninstalling activation information, so make sure that box isn't checked.

If your license is expired and don't want to pay for a new one there's really no point in hanging on to it, I suggest you uninstall and just use microsoft essentials free anti-virus or another free one.

Let us know if this resolves the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement