Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cheddar ?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi there. I'm trying to help my Dad re-live his youth !!. He's looking for "dry" cheddar...the type you used to be able to buy. I suppose mostly when you would have a piece cut from a large block. Most of the current stuff...and OK it might be...has a slightly processed creamy texture. What he's after is the dry chalky texture. Any suggestions ?.

Many thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The closest (outside of a cheesemongers) that I've come to a dry cheddar as you describe it is Lidl's Mature White Cheddar (in a black wrapper).
    It has been a while since I've bought it, but I'm sure that they still stock it.

Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I love Cheddar like that myself. I must try the Lidl cheese, Hill Billy. If they still sell it - and maybe you'd be better off going to one of the big stores - Tesco Finest have an extra mature Canadian Cheddar. It's dry, crumbly and has crystal grains (salt flakes or from the maturing process???) in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Hill Billy wrote: »
    The closest (outside of a cheesemongers) that I've come to a dry cheddar as you describe it is Lidl's Mature White Cheddar (in a black wrapper).
    It has been a while since I've bought it, but I'm sure that they still stock it.

Lovely stuff.

Are you sure it isn't the Aldi finest cheddar?

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/special_buys4_14464.htm

It's great stuff, as are most of their Irish produced specially selected range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sergeant wrote: »

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/special_buys4_14464.htm

It's great stuff, as are most of their Irish produced specially selected range.

Yeah, I was going to say this too. It's FAB - so tangy (my taste buds are twinging with the thought of it!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

JC's supermarket in Swords sell that type of cheddar, it's cut from a huge block into maller blocks and wrapped in clingfilm. I buy it every week and it's the closest to old-fashioned cheese that I've tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Heagerty's Farmhouse cheddar might be what you're looking for.
    I'd be surprised if Sheridan's didn't stock it or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My mates father used to just leave cheese unwrapped in the fridge, it dries it out. I suppose if you put slices on a plate it would dry it out more. I used to like it but never thought of doing it and forgot all about it until now.

A lot of the mature cheddars are sort of dry/flaky.

I was also thinking of putting mince spread out on a plate in the fridge to purposely dry it out a little, and not release all that water when fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sergeant wrote: »
    I am positive. I have never shopped in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Remember as well that cheese "sweats" when stored in a fridge in plastic wrapping that may contribute a bit to what the OP's seeing. Cheese should ideally be stored in wrapping that allows it to breath a little, i.e. loosely wrapped in something like the waxed paper they use in proper cheesemongers, and kept in an airy, cool, but not overly cold, place, say 8-10C. In the "olden days" that would have been a larder (what ever happened to larders, eh?) but alternatively use the least cold part of the fridge which apparently is usually in the salad compartment at the bottom. (I always thought cold air sank?)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I am positive. I have never shopped in Aldi.

You're missing sell amazing Chilli Brie and it's amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

D1976 wrote: »
    You're missing sell amazing Chilli Brie and it's amazing

Oops!!!!!!!

You're missing out they sell chilli brie and it tastes amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

If you can get to Sheridan's, as the beer revolu suggested, the Montgomery Chedder is what you're looking for.
    Cannot recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

...for all the replies. I'll report back on results !!. K

Advertisement