Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Circular Road - Safe

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I'm thinking about moving into a place on the North Circular Road, right in the middle between McGills pub and the crossroads at Portland row.

In peoples opinion is that a safe area? I noticed there is kinda a center called Beech House for down n' outs but is real street violence a reality?

It's only a 100 meters or so from the Garda station and Croke Park but I would like to get peoples opinion. Is it just like any other area in Dublin CC?

I am from Glasnevin (so I know Dublin) but I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It depends on where along the NCR. I find that it improves the further west you go. Down near Amiens Street and Saville Place is quite dodgy IMO.

Use your common sense - keep your property secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's safe enough tbh. I live nearby and while there's lots of anti-social behaviour from kids (and those old enough to know better), there's not much in the way of street violence. Now - vandalism, car break-ins, burglary, verbal aggro, dumping rubbish, broken windows - that there's more than enough of. Keep in mind Fitzgibbon street garda station will be closing down at some point in the near future, so you'll be relying on Mountjoy prison station or Pearse street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Portland Row always had a bad reputation going back according to my granny who lived near there but it might have improved in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

The residential streets on NCR just off Dorset St on the Phibsboro side are decent enough. Some nice houses and safe enough. Never had any problem leaving car on street either.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I viewed an apartment just off the NCR, close to Amiens Street, about two weeks ago. I'm from north Dublin and the place seemed dodgy enough to me. I'd feel realatively confident that I could avoid difficult situations with kids or general knackers by keeping my distance. However, I didn't feel comfortable with my GF walking from O'Connell Street in the dark evenings. Not worth the stress!

How about Heuston/Islandbridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

To be honest, these days it seems trouble is no longer reserved to certain 'bad areas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 stiofandebrun

con1982 wrote: »
    I viewed an apartment just off the NCR, close to Amiens Street, about two weeks ago. I'm from north Dublin and the place seemed dodgy enough to me. I'd feel realatively confident that I could avoid difficult situations with kids or general knackers by keeping my distance. However, I didn't feel comfortable with my GF walking from O'Connell Street in the dark evenings. Not worth the stress!

How about Heuston/Islandbridge?

That's how I kinda feel with my girlfriend. If we go for the place I will be telling her to walk from the Mountjoy Square end and not Portland row. Will take 5 mins longer but when dark is better I think.

It feel's strange cause a few 100 feet away I would have no concerns.

Thanks to everybody for their responses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

Traditionally NCR has always had abit of a reputation, mainly because there are a number of areas situated just off it that are deprived and rife with anti-social activities and thats all the way down it from the park to the five lamps, and the NCR is well known as a bedsit land which is popular with drug addicts, immigrants alcoholics, the mentally ill and spongers, who you'll find in great abundance.

Be honest at present its no worse then any other place in Dublin Central for trouble or violence.
    What would stop me moving there is the fact that the road is just so gloomy and miserable, fair enough its handy because its a five minute walk to town but I dont think its worth it.

There's other places Im sure of equal rent that are far nicer OP, I wouldnt settle on the NCR if I was you OP

Advertisement