Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Home Christmas Gifts?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey...

At the moment in work I'm making two NZ themed chopping boards to bring home for Christmas gifts. My flight plan back home is staggered, Auckland to Gold Coast (3 Days), Gold Coast to KL (3 days), KL to London (1 day) and finally London to Dublin.

I plan to pack the chopping boards in my luggage to save on expensive postage back home. Does anyone know if customs in all the different countries I'm travelling through would have a problem with the 'wood' chopping board being deemed a prohibited item? The wood used is solid, but not an endangered type.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

keaneray wrote: »
    Hey...

At the moment in work I'm making two NZ themed chopping boards to bring home for Christmas gifts. My flight plan back home is staggered, Auckland to Gold Coast (3 Days), Gold Coast to KL (3 days), KL to London (1 day) and finally London to Dublin.

I plan to pack the chopping boards in my luggage to save on expensive postage back home. Does anyone know if customs in all the different countries I'm travelling through would have a problem with the 'wood' chopping board being deemed a prohibited item? The wood used is solid, but not an endangered type.

Cheers.

In australia they would certainly have to be scanned and declared. But won't be taken off you (unless it is dodgy)

No idea about the other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

In australia they would certainly have to be scanned and declared. But won't be taken off you (unless it is dodgy)

No idea about the other countries

Why would they have to be declared if there's nothing wrong them, i.e. illegal. Just need info on whether wood products are allowed through customs in checked baggage not carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

keaneray wrote: »
    Why would they have to be declared if there's nothing wrong them, i.e. illegal. Just need info on whether wood products are allowed through customs in checked baggage not carry-on.

Any products made of wood have to be declared it’s not because they are illegal it’s because the wood may have pests living in it that Australia doesn’t want introduced to the country. I have brought wooden items into the country before the only thing that happened is that the customs official sprayed a bug killing thing onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'd be confident that on a per kilo basis postage is a lot cheaper (including your 'free' baggage allowance). How much do they weigh? It would be a serious pain carrying them around taking up room.

They'd cost about $60NZD each for postage. Just wanted to save money as I wouldn't be bringing home over 20kg in baggage so I'd have allowance to bring them. Worried that because I'm going through Oz, Malaysia, England & Ireland, one or all might have a problem with the chopping boards. I work in a wood factory and have hand made them, so I'm aware theres no bugs or insects in them. I dont mind them getting sprayed, but would be pissed if I had to hand them over. Might just have to ring all the individual custom offices to see what the story is.

• Advertisement

The best thing to do might be to call the AQIS and ask, if they're ok with them then you should be fine. If you've got space I suppose you might as well carry them.
    http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/about/contact

Cheers for the link. I'll give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

In the opposite direction, has any one here brought hurleys into New Zealand? I'm home at Christmas and want to bring a few back (and some sliotars). Are they ok to bring in (once declared) or does some kind of proof need to be provided that the wood's been treated?
    I'm assuming it's ok but would like a pat on the head and confirmation from someone else before I go spending a hundred yo-yos or so on them....

m*pp*t wrote: »
    In the opposite direction, has any one here brought hurleys into New Zealand? I'm home at Christmas and want to bring a few back (and some sliotars). Are they ok to bring in (once declared) or does some kind of proof need to be provided that the wood's been treated?
    I'm assuming it's ok but would like a pat on the head and confirmation from someone else before I go spending a hundred yo-yos or so on them....
    Make sure they're clean and you should be O.K. as long as you declare them. How often do you get seeds or bugs in a brand new hurley?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

m*pp*t wrote: »

I bought wooden souvenirs into NZ from Asia and Australia and they got through no problem - just had to declare them at customs and they inspected them and let them through no problems so I'd say you'd have no problems with hurleys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just to be clear .... the problem is NOT Customs. It's Quarantine that are the issue.

There are some things not allowed and others which require declaration for inspection. The wooden items is because of insects, parasites & contamination. They have to be inspected for compliance and if there is any evidence of woodworm etc they will not be allowed through.

When moving here I bought back some Dilisk. It was allowed as long as it was commercially packed and the packaging was sealed. It had to be declared and inspected, which is stated on the AQIS Website. It was no hassle and I actually got through the Quarantine Search quicker by doing the declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Would it be possible to bring Christmas pudding into OZ if declared? I know you can buy some in the shop which are sealed but how about home made? Its still been cooked in an oven just like one you would buy in the shops

Advertisement