Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How feasible is it that Letterkenny will become a city?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

What criteria does it need to meet to become a city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

It seems that legally no town can become a city unless there is a change to the Local government Act 2001 that recognises Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick as cities. (kilkenny made a special case for itself and was recognised as a city in name only, not legally) While this may not be the answer you're looking for... in order for Letterkenny to become a city, Kilkenny, Sligo and Dundalk will have to become cities first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

needs a brewery (i think thats the only criteria) possibly an airport and nuclear weapons oh wait i'm thinking of the frank zappa quote

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

By international standards Letterkenny is only a small town, 20,000 people would never make a city in most countries. Ireland though has a very large rural population with very few big cities, aside from the five mentioned above theres no town with more than 40,000 people aside from maybe a few Dublin commuter towns and maybe Dundalk & Drogheda.

What does being designated a city mean anyway? Does it mean extra funding for the council or is it just a status?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

It means more rates and charges for the people in it, same as all cities.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

It needs to have a University

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Waterford and Kilkenny have no uiversity..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

In older times, it needed a charter (Kilkenny does). It seem the local government act is the new criterion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Letterkenny cannot become a city until it has; a major drug problem, organised crime, horrendous traffic problems...............hang on a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

killerbeg wrote: »
    Letterkenny cannot become a city until it has; a major drug problem, organised crime, horrendous traffic problems...............hang on a minute!

Don't forget the crap planning and non-existant public transport :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Keep it on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

the words 'hell' and 'freezing over' are banging around in my head after reading the first thread

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sligopark wrote: »
    the words 'hell' and 'freezing over' are banging around in my head after reading the first thread
    Once again we have the troll on board. You can have a week off so use it wisely and have a think about your contribution to this thread and the Donegal forum in general.

Too many warnings/bans given now for my liking so in the event that you get another ban then it will be permanent.

Advertisement