Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D5000

• 13-10-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Ok, so I have always been taking pictures and fiddling around with them, so I thought why not invest alittle deeper into this hobby.
    My question is, Is a Nikon D5000 a good camera to start with. I wanted to go to college for Photography, but it was just a bit to expensive here in the state. So I'm deciding to learn on my own time.
    I heard the Nikon D5000 was a bit too much for me to handle at first, because it has all the bells and whistles. But honestly, If I want to learn everything I can, shouldn't I get one that has everything to offer.

Im more interested in Portrait Photography then anything else.
    The camera comes in a bundle pack with a regular lens, then with a 55-200mm vr. Should I get the 50mm lens for Portrait photos?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Start off the lens you get with the camera and see if you can get a course in the basics. Keep experimenting and dont pigeon hole yourself in portrait photograhy as all the other avenues will help you too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Where in the states are you? There are usually some good classes offered at your local community/junior college.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Americangirl1

Borderfox wrote: »
    Start off the lens you get with the camera and see if you can get a course in the basics. Keep experimenting and dont pigeon hole yourself in portrait photograhy as all the other avenues will help you too

Oh, I don't just mess around with taking pictures only portrait, but it is once of my favorite, I love the different ways you can express the face and body of a person, and put in different areas and angles.
    Where in the states are you? There are usually some good classes offered at your local community/junior college.

I'm on the border line of West Virginia and Virginia. There are a few courses somewhere around here, but I think they have all already started. Plus, I don't know how much they are... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Well its Nikon so your on the right track there (Que all the canon people :P)

What camera to buy is very hard question to answer. But there are some questions if you can answer to yourself you should be able to figure out whats best for you.
    Whats your Budget?
    The difference between having $1000 and $3000 to spend on camera and lenses is huge.
    How serious are you?
    Is this something you have been saying you will do for the last X number of years or an idea you have been toying with for the last 6 months or a year?
    How much time will you be investing?
    Do you plan on teaching yourself over decades or years?
    Will you be teaching yourself the nitty gritty technical stuff?
    If your not teaching yourself (or some how learning) the ins and outs of Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, DOF and so on spending tonnes of money or a camera is a waste when a half decent point and shoot would do just fine.

I am reading this back over and I know it sounds odd but the reason I say this is that I would recommend a D300s to anyone who is serious and can afford it. Its an amazing camera and well worth it but the question is, 1) can you afford it? 2) will you get your use out of it? 3) Will the camera be outdated by the time you can use it to its full potential? and so on.

I would also say, for when you buy this camera. Do not leave the camera on P mode. As much as you can leave it on Manual (M). At most place it on (A) or (S) and the only from time to time. Placing the camera on Program will only lead to complacency and months or years will go by with out you learning much about Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and so on. And with anyone who owns a Semi pro or half decent amateur camera its a total shame and a waste.

I very much doubt I have answered your question but I do hope it helps you in some way, shape or form.

I'm on the border line of West Virginia and Virginia. There are a few courses somewhere around here, but I think they have all already started. Plus, I don't know how much they are... :(

The internet is a amazing resource for finding just that information.

[Link1] [Link2]

The phone works too and can sometime yield results that the internet won't.

• Advertisement

Well its Nikon so your on the right track there (Que all the canon people :P)

What camera to buy is very hard question to answer. But there are some questions if you can answer to yourself you should be able to figure out whats best for you.
    Whats your Budget?
    The difference between having $1000 and $3000 to spend on camera and lenses is huge.
    How serious are you?
    Is this something you have been saying you will do for the last X number of years or an idea you have been toying with for the last 6 months or a year?
    How much time will you be investing?
    Do you plan on teaching yourself over decades or years?
    Will you be teaching yourself the nitty gritty technical stuff?
    If your not teaching yourself (or some how learning) the ins and outs of Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, DOF and so on spending tonnes of money or a camera is a waste when a half decent point and shoot would do just fine.

I am reading this back over and I know it sounds odd but the reason I say this is that I would recommend a D300s to anyone who is serious and can afford it. Its an amazing camera and well worth it but the question is, 1) can you afford it? 2) will you get your use out of it? 3) Will the camera be outdated by the time you can use it to its full potential? and so on.

I would also say, for when you buy this camera. Do not leave the camera on P mode. As much as you can leave it on Manual (M). At most place it on (A) or (S) and the only from time to time. Placing the camera on Program will only lead to complacency and months or years will go by with out you learning much about Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and so on. And with anyone who owns a Semi pro or half decent amateur camera its a total shame and a waste.

I very much doubt I have answered your question but I do hope it helps you in some way, shape or form.

I'm pretty serious, I have always been interested in Photography, even at age 10 where I was throwing sheets up and making my friends model for me, lol. I will not only be investing my FREE time, but I plan to make it an everyday thing, even if that means experimenting by taking a picture of a rock. I haven't read about alot of the technical stuff, but I will be once I am done reading up on lighting using Softbox's, Umbrella's etc.
    I plan on learning everything I can and continue trying my best to evolve with camera tech. ect

I've been going completely nutter on getting a good camera, now that I can afford it and some extra bits with it, im pretty excited.

A nikon d300 is just a tiny bit out of my rang for just a camera at the moment.

I actually considered a Canon, but I know a professional Photographer and he told me to go with Nikon. I won't go into why, don't want to start an all out war on which is best and why lol, but he has 2 canon's and 2 nikon's.

He told me a d300 would be good for me also, IF I can afford it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

D5000 is a fine camera to start out. You don't need to know all it can do from the start. Learn as you go. I would suggest a D90 over it though, they can be got cheap enough now used. The D300 is a semi-pro camera, even more bells and whistles. better to start with a more beginner orientated model. You won't get any auto mode on a D300, they're designed to be controlled off-screen, the D5000 will suit more if you depend on the LCD a lot.

Cheapest and one of the best lenses for portraits: 50mm Nikkor f/1.8. Can be got for about $100 and is sharp as you like.

D5000 is a fine camera to start out. You don't need to know all it can do from the start. Learn as you go. I would suggest a D90 over it though, they can be got cheap enough now used. The D300 is a semi-pro camera, even more bells and whistles. better to start with a more beginner orientated model. You won't get any auto mode on a D300, they're designed to be controlled off-screen, the D5000 will suit more if you depend on the LCD a lot.

Cheapest and one of the best lenses for portraits: 50mm Nikkor f/1.8. Can be got for about $100 and is sharp as you like.

You say a Nikon D90... I also thought about that one also. Would you say Nikon D90 is better then Nikon D5000...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I haven't read about alot of the technical stuff, but I will be once I am done reading up on lighting using Softbox's, Umbrella's etc.

I am not being rude here, but are you someone who generally tries to run before they can walk?

To understand information on more advanced lighting techniques you really need to know the basics first. If you spend the time learning about exposure and the nature of light and optics, you will get a grounding for all the fancy stuff to make sense later.

Any of the cameras you have discussed will be fine to start. Get one you can afford. The extras on more expensive models are normally things which are nice but often not neccessity. What you are getting now in an Entry Level Body is above what was available in Pro Bodies only a few years ago. It's not the camera that makes a good photo, it just records it.

You say a Nikon D90... I also thought about that one also. Would you say Nikon D90 is better then Nikon D5000...

Yes. The D90, in the long run, so long as you're willing to learn as you go [it's a pretty steep slope, but stick with it] is a far better camera than the D5000 [IMHO] - The D5000 feels too light and ... toyish to me. I was after one for a while, but when I actually got my hands on one I didn't like the feel of it.

It's not true either that newer = better in every way. I have a D200, much older than the D90, yet I much prefer the controls and build of it. The only thing the D90 does better [and I still want one of those] is handle noise at higher ISO levels much better. And it has live view ...

But, it is true that any current dslr will do the trick. The lens you stick on it will matter much more.

But at least learn the basics before diving in. i spent a year on a bridge "super zoom" on full manual before deciding on an entry level [Sony] dslr. Take your time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I am a D5000 owner. It is my first DSLR and it is quiet easy to come to terms in use with.

I did however as did thecageyone own a Fuji bridge (S5700) before hand and had used this on manual/aperature priority etc.. for a almost a year and as a result had a good enough (Probably basic) knowledge of the cameras workings.

I was also torn between the D90 and D5000 but the D5000 won out due to the package/price I got it at. As mentioned the D5000 does not handle high ISO the best but it is acceptable, especially if you are thinking of going down the portrait line..High ISO shouldnt be an issue.

If it is all you can afford and cannot get a D90 then it will be a good choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

five years ago, people were having this sort of debate here and would have died for the spec of the D5000; the same people produced shots of a similar class to what you would get with any camera mentioned above.

It's true that the camera is only as good as the person using it. I don't think I'd be taking different images with a D3s as I am now with a 5 year old D200, but I would have better IQ, better noise handling and have the option to bump up the ISO. That's the biggest crutch I have currently, gotta keep that right down [below 400, definitely] - So while a better camera wouldn't suddenly have you taking much better quality images, it will give you more scope to take the shots you shy away from because of things like lousy high ISO performance. I'm not sure how good the D5000 is in that area, but I have read numerous times that the D90 is pretty good with it. They have the same sensor, so IQ is about the same, it's more about control, speed and handling why I'd opt for a D90 over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You could even pick up a refurbished D40 ;) - small, light and easy to use (very forgiving too with its 6mp resolution).

Put it this way - I've won awards with pictures I've taken with the D40... have yet to win anything with pictures with the D90 (due to lack of time taking photos!) - it doesn't really matter what camera you have (Canon, Olympus, Sony, Nikon etc.) but the amount of time you can put into it.

A "better" camera allows you to do more with less time. But a good photographer will be able to use the tools they have to create great photos anyway.

Plus the D40-3000-5000 range allows you to use really old (cheap!) lenses on your camera that the D90-300-3 series doesn't allow. Manual focus and exposure - that's really dropping you into the deep end ;)

What lenses can a D3000/5000 use that a D300 can't?

I've used lenses on the D200 that will auto-focus, but only work manually on the D3000/5000. Recently I bought a Tamron 75-300 from a D3000 owner, he sold because it didn't AF on his cam, he was pretty jealous when I stuck it on mine and it Auto-focused right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

The only ones I can think of are old F mount pre AI lenses, which won't mount on a D300, but will mount (but not meter, no CPU) and can be used in Manual mode... AFAIK, the only lenses which cannot be used on the D5000 are the old invasive fish-eye's.

OP, the D5000 is a fine camera to start out with and will do everything you need. In DxOMark Sensor ratings, the D5000 came second in the DX category with the D90 in first place. The only quibble is that it does not have an in-body autofocus motor and will only auto focus on newer AF-S, etc. lenses. If you can afford it though, I'd probably have a look at a used D90 - with the release of the D7000 at the end of the month, there's a lot of good value used D90's to be had as people trade up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I have the d5000 about a year now and found it very easy to get the hang of, it has an onscreen aperture ring which helps to understand aperture and shutterspeed values, if i was to buy another slr i would prob be go with a canon as they seem to have a much wider range of lenses.
    All the same not knocking the d5000 its done be proud so far.......

I've used lenses on the D200 that will auto-focus, but only work manually on the D3000/5000. Recently I bought a Tamron 75-300 from a D3000 owner, he sold because it didn't AF on his cam, he was pretty jealous when I stuck it on mine and it Auto-focused right away.

As the poster above mentioned - the pre-AI F mount lenses.

In fact, the sharpest lens I have is a 50mm f2 Nikkor-H (Pre-AI) I got for 30 euro. Edges out slightly the 35mm f2 AFD I got as a replacement lens for the D90 (costing 7x as much ;) )

Gorgeous all metal construction and all the markings that are sadly no longer present on cheap lenses (DOF, infra-red dot). And a nice aperture ring too (useful for reversing a lens for macro-photography).

The 50mm f/1.8 D lens has an aperture ring too, I got mine for €80, looked like it was used maybe twice, still in the box. I bought reverse rings but have since gotten extension rings [ap-ring still required] which are less fiddly to use and you can change the focal length :)

Terribly off topic now - but you can reverse mount a 50mm onto another...say 55-200 and get zooming this way ;) - reversed 50 onto 200mm = AF (you'd be using MF at these magnifications anyway), auto-exposure and TTL flash control. The picture is also ridiculously magnified - something like 4:1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thirdfox wrote: »
    As the poster above mentioned - the pre-AI F mount lenses.
    which are the lenses which have the mechanical coupling which is catered for on the D300 which are not on the D3000, etc.?
    i'm not too well up on old nikon lens nomenclature.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Terribly off topic now - but you can reverse mount a 50mm onto another...say 55-200 and get zooming this way ;) - reversed 50 onto 200mm = AF (you'd be using MF at these magnifications anyway), auto-exposure and TTL flash control. The picture is also ridiculously magnified - something like 4:1.

You use one of these.

I have one and use it you mount a 80s Minolta 50mm lens to a modern Nikon 50mm. It's good fun but harder to manage then you might think.

Here are a few shots I took at the the botanic gardens using that yoke. It is a yoke to heavier and a bit more unwieldy than you might imagine.

AI lenses will meter on the D300 upwards (not the D90).

Pre-AI have a protruding part that will damage the D90+ cameras (basically any camera which has a built in motor).

AFD lenses like the 50mm f1.8 afd - will work with old film bodies. The new AFS ones won't (no aperture ring).

Canon has a simpler one - FD lenses don't work with digital, EF lenses do (as far as I know).

Pentax and Olympus seems to have good support for their legacy lenses too. Not sure about Sony and their Minolta ones.

edit:
    @Sliding - yup 50mm:50mm giving you 1:1 nice pictures! - 50mm:200mm gives you 4:1 magnification though - and that's when DOF becomes minuscule:
    http://pix.ie/thirdfox/462836/size/800 - grains of pollen fertilising an individual stamen on a flower - and that was only at 3:1 magnification.

the main problem i had with OM zuikos was the very limited aperture control and 2X crop.

Advertisement