Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Hanging

• 13-10-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I've a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop. It is about 4 years old - but lately it just hangs & nothing I do has any effect not even ctl, alt & del. I brought it into a certain shop yesterday & apparently they could fix a software problem for €80 but it's €299 for a hardware problem!

I'm not going to spend that on it... I'd rather buy a new one - but really would rater fix this one for cheaper!

Is there any way I can figure out myself if it's hardware or software myself? (the shop were trying to charge me €60 to do that before the other charges to fix it)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

yeah, reinstall the operating system.

what operating system does it run at the moment?

you could use killdisk iso burned to a cd to delete the old operating system and install new one from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

onimpulse wrote: »
    I've a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop. It is about 4 years old - but lately it just hangs & nothing I do has any effect not even ctl, alt & del. I brought it into a certain shop yesterday & apparently they could fix a software problem for €80 but it's €299 for a hardware problem!

I'm not going to spend that on it... I'd rather buy a new one - but really would rater fix this one for cheaper!

Is there any way I can figure out myself if it's hardware or software myself? (the shop were trying to charge me €60 to do that before the other charges to fix it)

Thanks!

They quoted you €299 for a hardware fix without even figuring out what was wrong with it. :eek: Name and shame them.

+1 for a reinstall of the Operating System, especially if it has not been done since you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Do you have the OS disks?
    If not consider installing Ubuntu maybe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Xtn_KwsW4
    Mind, it's a different OS so you won't be able to play windows games and other windows stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Thanks guys... I'll try the OS reinstall & hopefully that sorts it out...

It was PC World that quoted me €299 without even knowing what was wrong with the laptop.... I said to the guy there was no way I was spending that money and he said no one does - they just buy a new one! I thought that was a bit much considering neither of us had any idea what was wrong with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

onimpulse wrote: »
    It was PC World that quoted me €299 without even knowing what was wrong with the laptop.... I said to the guy there was no way I was spending that money and he said no one does - they just buy a new one! I thought that was a bit much considering neither of us had any idea what was wrong with it!

No wonder its so expensive by them, did he try to sell you a laptop? sounds like a good way to make a sale.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Be careful reinstalling the OS without backing up your data.
    You can try Ubuntu from the LiveCD without making changes to your hard drive.

Post some more info and we might be able to help.

What OS are you using.

When it hangs describe what happens.

Will it start up?
    Do you get a blue screen / does everything hang / or does it just power off?
    Does it restart automatically?
    Does it happen every time or only sometimes.
    Do you get an error message.

Advertisement