Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNS not flushing flush

• 13-10-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm concerned my DNS cache (WIN XP) contains persistent entries which I can not flush. There are over 20 entries which remain after I issue the 'ipconfig /flushdns'. These entries do not look at all familiar. Quite a few of them appear to be of italian domains and others to do with antispyware this and that .com.

I have tried stopping and starting the DNS client but the entries remain. It's all a bit perplexing. has anyone else seen this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

first how are you verifying your dns entries. Second have you checked your hosts file?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

I use the 'ipconfig/displaydns' command to verify the cache. I have checked the hosts file. It is full of entries all put there by spybot. I guess it's spybots way of quickly looking up bad sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

check %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Download and run this:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Make sure you know your network connection info first.

do a few spyware scans with Spybot, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

Well I have checked the hosts file and spybot has inserted hundreds of entries. They are clearly marked as spybot entries. If I remove the host file and then flush and display the dns all appears normal. I guess this is all innocent enough. Spybot does have a database of hundreds of sites on it's blacklist which are all contained in the hosts file when you first install or update spybot. It is curious that only 24 of the sites in the hundreds listed in the hosts file appear in the dns cache. Anyway I have put the host file back in place.

Why I began looking at the dns to begin with was down to a very poor browsing experience occurring regularly at night. I have come to the conclusion that this is UPC's dns and so I am now using google 8.8.8.8 as my dns. This seems to solve the problem. I have seen a report that suggested it is a bad idea to use the google dns if you live outside the U.S due to poorer download speeds but I have tried downloading a large test file with and without google dns and the results are the same. One thing is for sure, the google dns means much quicker look ups when UPC slows down.

I guess this sorts my problem. I don't think I'll waste my time calling UPC and trying to explain the impossible to a rep who only understands billing enquiries when I do eventually get through.

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try Opendns, they have servers in London
    http://www.opendns.com/

Then You can have other free services too, like their adult content filtering and domain blocking

Advertisement